Artful's Soccer Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Ashley Young making good with two well taken goals:

A few gems from Saturday's Liverpool-Arsenal game. A frustrating one from Liverpool, given their chances to win and Arsenal being second best but it was Van Persie scoring two goals including a stoppage-time winner.

KKKenny biting his coat:

Shirtless ginger mentalist Arsenal fan after Van Persie scored his bolt from the blue:

Can't find the one where he slips off his seat after the final whistle. :-b

Anyway, Van Persie FC are 3 points clear of Chelsea in 4th. If Arsenal do finish 4th (and I prefer Arsenal in the top four rather than Chelsea), looks like they can keep RVP if they give him a big fat contract and actually do spend more out of the transfer kitty.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Nevermind, found it:

Meanwhile, I couldn't help notice that his mate has one of those cringe-inducing custom shirts like this Samir Nasri "infinity" jersey:

Also, in the original GIF, it looks as if the ginger is yelling at Gervinho to pay attention to him. I suppose that's why he went mental.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 am

Brave comeback from Arsenal today against Milan. They managed to score 3 goals to cut a 4-0 first leg deficit to a goal to tie on aggregate. Van Persie had a shock horror miss that should have leveled it, and in the end, Arsenal really paid the price for getting thrashed in Milan. Arsenal got the clean sheet but their defense would have been found out in the second half with better finishing too. Milan defended much better in the second half, but on the whole, were distinctly average.

So, Benfica advance on away goals against Zenit, 3-3 on aggregate. Tomorrow, it's Barcelona hosting Bayer Leverkusen with Barca holding a comfortable 3-1 advantage and APOEL are home to Lyon, down 1-0.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Messi. I don't know what more to say.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Messi. I don't know what more to say.

Enjoy it before UEFA takes it down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETrWXQJjkLQ

That third goal was something else. Chipped the keeper on his weaker foot with a rainbow chip.

As for the game, it was an exhibition. Barca beat Leverkusen, 7-1 on the night, winning 10-2 on aggregate, and Messi bagging five goals. APOEL upset Lyon on penalties in the other game.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Excellent day. Man United go top of the league with a very good performance against West Brom and could have won by more than 2-0.

I managed to flip-flop between United-WBA and Swansea-Man City. Just my luck I saw Luke Moore head in the go-ahead goal for Swansea to beat the bitters and this priceless shot of a City fan crying immediately thereafter:

7 minutes or so plus stoppage time, already crying, let alone 10 games left to go in the season. Ridiculously amusing. Just as priceless was Micah Richards gone ballistic after heading what appeared to be the equalizer, only for Sian Massey to disallow it for offside. (BTW, I find a girl who knows the offside rule better than most sexy.)

Anyhow, Swansea deserved to win today; they've truly been brilliant at home and they play possession-oriented, pass-and-move football better than the average promoted side. As for City, no surprise to see them drop points again. I'll be shocked if they can go through a stretch of Norwich, Arsenal, and Stoke with maximum points.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 am

So, have I told you lately that Lionel Messi is incredible? He scored this unbelievable chip of a goal vs. Sevilla over the weekend:

Messi bagged a hat-trick today against Grenada to become Barcelona's all-time scorer with 235. 57 goals and 22 assists on the campaign for Li'l Leo, with plenty of games to go.

Neutrals better lap it up with Messi in his pomp. He's really cementing his place as the best player since Diego Maradona laced his boots.

Oh, and I'm not ashamed to want Chelsea to beat City on Wednesday. O:-)

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Oh, and I'm not ashamed to want Chelsea to beat City on Wednesday. O:-)

Wishful thinking. Chelsea were woefully rubbish. Somehow, Chelsea escaped unscathed due to some poor finishing on City's part and Gary Cahill put them ahead with a fluke goal. Essien conceded an awful handball penalty which Aguero smashed in. Tevez played an admittedly lovely 1-2 pass-and-move exchange with Nasri to which Nasri slotted home for the winner.

I'd be tempted to say City were jammy, jammy bastards, but they didn't have to play all that well to beat Chelsea. In my mind, Chelsea have no business finishing top four on that gutless performance alone... aside from them being a plastic club like City run by John Terry and Abramovich's dubiously acquired wealth, of course.

Ah well, at least tonight proved how small-time, plastic, desperate the City lot are. After all of Carlos Tevez's shenanigans wanting to leave to the most disgraceful level possible, the City fans gave Tevez a hero's welcome for the most part.

Anyhow, I finished watching the last 20 minutes of the QPR-Liverpool game. Epic collapse from Liverpool. They absolutely bottle it after going 2-0 up and lose it to a QPR side likely to be relegated IMO.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

3rd! Always great to pass those dreaded Spurs :-D

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:3rd! Always great to pass those dreaded Spurs :-D

I really thought at one point Spurs would pull away with 3rd spot, such that any slip-up(s) they had, it wouldn't be too much of a fuss. Since the "Harry to England" link, they've done quite the bottle job.

'arry has made some curious tactical and management decisions; Spurs were better off playing 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 than sticking two out-and-out strikers up front. Players such as Adebayor and Bale have lost form and I suppose the lack of team depth is showing. It was a mistake for Redknapp to send Steven Pienaar out on loan when they're short on wingers.

I think Spurs will finish top four, if they can revert to taking care of midtable opposition; settling for a home draw vs. Stoke is not a good result at all. Doesn't matter to me, really, I'd just rather see Arsenal and Tottenham in the Champions League and Chelsea bumped out.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk