Mistakenly dropped player - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Mistakenly dropped player

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mistakenly dropped player

Postby SumG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:44 am

A manager in my league is using the tactic of streaming starting pitchers, picking up two or three every day. Yesterday night, while picking up SPs, he mistakenly dropped one of his closers, Heath Bell, instead of one of the scrub SPs he had on his roster. He immediately after contacted me to let me know and to ask me to lock Bell until he cleared waivers and could be put back on his team. I have no problem letting him get back Bell, but that isn't the issue I have a question about here.

As it happens, he is facing me this week and I just want to make sure I'm being impartial enough. I see my options really as one of two things:

1) Go in now and basically cancel the transaction, putting Heath Bell back on his lineup while removing the pitcher he picked up.
2) Lock Bell now until waivers clears and then ensure he gets back on this team.

Option 1 penalizes him by removing a SP from his starting roster and Option 2 penalizes him by not letting him have one his closers for a few days. As reference, it's a close week (6-5), with him being the league leader to this point in the season and myself in 3rd. Furthermore, he's behind in Ks by a dozen or so and Ws by a couple with him having only one extra SP over me today.

Under normal circumstances I would probably opt of option 1, but I don't want to do that if it's going to make me look like I chose that option to benefit my team. Hopefully it won't matter either way, but I'd like to avoid any appearances of impropriety.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mistakenly dropped player

Postby ABA316 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:42 pm

If he specifically asked you to lock Bell till waivers clear, you are doing nothing but what he asked of you. Just save that email/text message..or ask him to post that that is what was agreed upon.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hondo4mvp » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:09 pm

SumG wrote:A manager in my league is using the tactic of streaming starting pitchers, picking up two or three every day. Yesterday night, while picking up SPs, he mistakenly dropped one of his closers, Heath Bell, instead of one of the scrub SPs he had on his roster. He immediately after contacted me to let me know and to ask me to lock Bell until he cleared waivers and could be put back on his team. I have no problem letting him get back Bell, but that isn't the issue I have a question about here.

As it happens, he is facing me this week and I just want to make sure I'm being impartial enough. I see my options really as one of two things:

1) Go in now and basically cancel the transaction, putting Heath Bell back on his lineup while removing the pitcher he picked up.
2) Lock Bell now until waivers clears and then ensure he gets back on this team.

Option 1 penalizes him by removing a SP from his starting roster and Option 2 penalizes him by not letting him have one his closers for a few days. As reference, it's a close week (6-5), with him being the league leader to this point in the season and myself in 3rd. Furthermore, he's behind in Ks by a dozen or so and Ws by a couple with him having only one extra SP over me today.

Under normal circumstances I would probably opt of option 1, but I don't want to do that if it's going to make me look like I chose that option to benefit my team. Hopefully it won't matter either way, but I'd like to avoid any appearances of impropriety.

Wow.Just Wow.You would even consider doing this?

Let me get this straight. A guy made a move.

Now you are giving him the right to have an extra move by undoing his move?

Wow.

You have NO business running a league if you allow this, nobody in your league will ever look at you with any credibility again.

He made his move.

Period. End of story.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Doesn't it ask you like 3 times if you want to make the transaction? I don't think I would do anything.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby bigmck » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Guys in my league have made moves in error. I myself have screwed up moves. If it is caught immediately, I don't see a problem. People make mistakes. == In your case, I would think the Commish could immediatley undo the move.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby hondo4mvp » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:12 am

bigmck wrote:Guys in my league have made moves in error. I myself have screwed up moves. If it is caught immediately, I don't see a problem. People make mistakes. == In your case, I would think the Commish could immediatley undo the move.

I've screwed up some moves myself, but I accepted that it was my fault.

You just cannot go crying to the commissioner about your own screw up and have him undo it for you.

If you did it, it's done.Over.No mulligans for being stupid.

I've never expected any when I messed up, noone should.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby drunkmonkey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 am

Ignore hondo4mvp. If this is a friendly league, there's nothing wrong with being a little lenient with mistakes. I see no problem with option #2. First, it's all he asked of you, so #1 would actually be going out of your way for him. Second, it gives him a small punishment, and he'll be more careful next time. I'd give this advice no matter who he was facing for the week.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pochucker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 pm

This just happened to me yesterday in our money league -- although Im normally pretty intolerant their are times there are extenuating circumstances and the interest of the league always comes first.

Woke up yesterday to see guy had picked up Overbay and dropped Guerrero. This was his first year in our well established league. He has remote chance of making playoffs with only two weeks to go but was making changes to fight to end. To complicate matters person with #1 waiver is fighting for last playoff spot in other division and is that persons close friend.

I already had three e-mails --one from owner in same division as person with #1 waiver asking what the hell was going on. One from person who dropped Guerrero saying it was mistake and one from owner with #1 waiver also saying it was a mistake and he wanted it corrected so there would be no appearance of collusion. Since he was a rookie and considering implications I returned Guerrero and fined owner $5.

In all honesty in beginning of year with non rookie owner I would not have done that.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby GoodOl'Days » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 pm

That's cool you can fine the owner in your league.

Yea I'd definitely give him the waiver penalty, it doesn't matter who his opponent is. But if it's a money league and it's happened before I'd make him live with his mistake.
GoodOl'Days
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mkultra » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:29 pm

I'd undo the transaction, assuming he really did contact you *right away*. Make sure you let the league know what happened. Fantasy baseball is a game of skill and strategy, not agility.

Pogotheostrich wrote:Doesn't it ask you like 3 times if you want to make the transaction? I don't think I would do anything.

FWIW, CBS Sportsline has an obnoxious lack of confirmation screens for transactions. To make matters worse, if you're on their trade review screen, and type in a message and hit return, it Accepts the trade right then and there- no confirmation, no nothing. Terrible :-t
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner