Has college become worthless? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Has college become worthless?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Has college become worthless?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:If I had it to do all over again I'd become a teacher: decent pay, full benefits, and 3 months off a year? Sign me up. Actually, I've been considering going back to school to become a teacher, but I honestly don't think I could deal with parents and administration.

it's really not a bad gig. i'm pretty upset i have to go back to work in 3 weeks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dAnzac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 pm

If I could do it all over again, I'd have applied myself in Japanese class and become an English teacher in Tokyo.

Either that or an assassin :-?
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:If I had it to do all over again I'd become a teacher: decent pay, full benefits, and 3 months off a year? Sign me up. Actually, I've been considering going back to school to become a teacher, but I honestly don't think I could deal with parents and administration.

this is the way i'm going. teachers are actually pretty overpaid considering how many hours they have to work compared to the average worker (i think it's something like half as many hours over the course of the year). i found a pretty sweet program that will let me work full time as a intern teacher while i go to school to get my credential. that way i'm paying off the schooling while i'm working.

also i totally agree with tavish that they should be putting more emphasize on getting high school graduates into trade schools. it makes so much more sense and is so much more practical than a four year college where you learn a ton of garbage that you'll never end up needing to know.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:

this is the way i'm going. teachers are actually pretty overpaid considering how many hours they have to work compared to the average worker (i think it's something like half as many hours over the course of the year). i found a pretty sweet program that will let me work full time as a intern teacher while i go to school to get my credential. that way i'm paying off the schooling while i'm working.

also i totally agree with tavish that they should be putting more emphasize on getting high school graduates into trade schools. it makes so much more sense and is so much more practical than a four year college where you learn a ton of garbage that you'll never end up needing to know.

for my wife's senior piece, she had to come up with a company idea and then do the branding and marketing pitch for it

we worked together to design a college where the students went to school 5 days a week and worked part-time jobs in the field they were studying while at school
this was supposed to work for just about any discipline, not just trade jobs
the pitch was that you could do two years of school and get experience while everyone else was off taking all the junk requirements that keep you in school twice as long

the teacher gave her a B and cited the "preposterous" nature of the theoretical school for the downgrade
this was a graphic design class

rage against the system, people. rage hard. :-t
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:08 am

Personally, I'd say it's worth it for people to go to college. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I feel I've just gotten so much smarter for going. And I'm a better person for it. That's easily worth the 70 or 80k i'll be in debt (super-expensive private school-some scholarship-summer work). But even if it was 100k or 120k, it'd still be worth it. Nothing replaces general intelligence.

But therein lies the problem. You need to look for the experiences college provides that will improve your life. And some do that better than others. I've gained an understanding of who I am from college, what I want, and why I want it (not exactly, but more idea than I had before). Without college, I wouldn't have that (though granted, some of that has come from internships too). But it's about finding experiences and gaining understanding. As an 18-22 year old kid, college is probably the best way to do that....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Personally, I'd say it's worth it for people to go to college. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I feel I've just gotten so much smarter for going. And I'm a better person for it. That's easily worth the 70 or 80k i'll be in debt (super-expensive private school-some scholarship-summer work). But even if it was 100k or 120k, it'd still be worth it. Nothing replaces general intelligence.

But therein lies the problem. You need to look for the experiences college provides that will improve your life. And some do that better than others. I've gained an understanding of who I am from college, what I want, and why I want it (not exactly, but more idea than I had before). Without college, I wouldn't have that (though granted, some of that has come from internships too). But it's about finding experiences and gaining understanding. As an 18-22 year old kid, college is probably the best way to do that....

Well said. ;-D

I think it's understandable that most students focus on working hard to get that good job out of college and to discover what they want to do in their careers. Their parents put enough pressure on them to do that and sometimes, to an unhealthy end. However, in so doing, at times they miss out on the whole picture that they're there for the experience. Earning an education should be about becoming a better person, not so much about becoming a model employee. I've known people who just wanted to hurry through college, only to find out they didn't learn much of anything.

That said, college isn't for everyone and from my personal experience, it definitely wasn't for me. I was the entrepreneurial misfit in college, and I still am now, but for the better and for all the right reasons now. I still finished my education and it was a rewarding thing to complete it. I've worked hard to get to where I am now, but I still attribute that success to my college experience for opening the doors for me.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:40 am

this
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:14 pm

All depends on how you use college and what degree you get. if you spend 20K a year to go get an Art history degree... well, good luck. It will never pay you back. (but if thats your degree, you probably aren't too concerned with getting paid back. And you probably got the knowlede you were looking for.)

One thing that people often don't factor in when they look at the value of college is how much the knowledge you recieved was worth. If you put in the time and effort to do very well in all of your classes, the knowledge you gain can be priceless.

from a strictly financial stand point. The degree you get is a big concern.

I currently am in debt up to my nostrils.. but then again, this spring I will be graduating with a double major in Accounting and Management, spend 6 months studying after that and pass the CPA. Those are the kind of credentials that kick down doors in a career path. Most likey, because of my personality, I will probably go back for an MBA after that. by the time it's all said and done, I'm sure that I'll be 50k-80k in debt, but in all honesty, thats chump change in comparison to how much extra money those qualifications will earn me.

also, I stand by the fact that the knowledge alone that I have learned from the classes I've taken and the classes I will take is worth the money, even without the piece of paper that comes with it.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:All depends on how you use college and what degree you get. if you spend 20K a year to go get an Art history degree... well, good luck. It will never pay you back. (but if thats your degree, you probably aren't too concerned with getting paid back. And you probably got the knowlede you were looking for.)

One thing that people often don't factor in when they look at the value of college is how much the knowledge you recieved was worth. If you put in the time and effort to do very well in all of your classes, the knowledge you gain can be priceless.

I currently am in debt up to my nostrils.. but then again, this spring I will be graduating with a double major in Accounting and Management, spend 6 months studying after that and pass the CPA. Those are the kind of credentials that kick down doors in a career path. Most likey, because of my personality, I will probably go back for an MBA after that. by the time it's all said and done, I'm sure that I'll be 50k-80k in debt, but in all honesty, thats chump change in comparison to how much extra money those qualifications will earn me.

also, I stand by the fact that the knowledge alone that I have learned from the classes I've taken and the classes I will take is worth the money, even without the piece of paper that comes with it.

You're right about the knowledge gained in higher education potentially being invaluable, but as the wise Will Hunting once said, "you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a %&^$(@ education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library."
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:47 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:All depends on how you use college and what degree you get. if you spend 20K a year to go get an Art history degree... well, good luck. It will never pay you back. (but if thats your degree, you probably aren't too concerned with getting paid back. And you probably got the knowlede you were looking for.)

You're right about the knowledge gained in higher education potentially being invaluable, but as the wise Will Hunting once said, "you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a %&^$(@ education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library."

It's not your fault.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk