Has college become worthless? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Has college become worthless?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Has college become worthless?

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm

The problem is that the number of jobs that require a college degree is falling way behind the number of college graduates. What there needs to be is a greater emphasis put on getting kids into technical programs instead of full degree programs.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:15 pm

It absolutely depends on what course of study you're in, and even then a degree gives you an edge over those without.

If there is a fast track way for me to become an RN without college I'm all ears.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Metroid wrote:It absolutely depends on what course of study you're in, and even then a degree gives you an edge over those without.

If there is a fast track way for me to become an RN without college I'm all ears.

Vocational school. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:It absolutely depends on what course of study you're in, and even then a degree gives you an edge over those without.

:-D As in nursing school? Yeah but to get into nursing school you have to meet a bunch of prerequisites that require about two years of college first. There's not really anyway around it.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

:-D As in nursing school? Yeah but to get into nursing school you have to meet a bunch of prerequisites that require about two years of college first. There's not really anyway around it.

I meant some vocational school like American Career College. You know, those kinds of vocational colleges which advertise themselves on daytime TV but somehow get the feeling they're too good to be true? :-b

On the bright side, college is worth it for the experience. I think it's natural that most people get wrapped up into thinking the reason to attend college is just to guarantee yourself a good job (and really that's not a guarantee these days like it used to). The college experience is beneficial on more levels than just that. So while I said college is worthless to an extent, the benefits do outweigh not going, in more ways than one.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I think the idea that you have to leave college with huge amounts of debt is a myth. Sure, if you decide that you are going to go to school for four or five years and not work a day a borrow all of the money you need for tuition and living, you're going to have a lot of debt when you're done. If you work while you're in school, don't go to a ridiculously expensive private school, and don't live like you have all the money in the world, you shouldn't end up with much debt. I put myself through school, worked 40+ hours a week the whole time (except soccer season, when I only worked about 25 hours a week), didn't take expensive trips and vacations like Spring Break in Cabo is some kind of right, and when I graduated I would have had no debt if I hadn't taken out a student loan my senior year to buy a car.

Go to an in-state public school, maybe even start at a community college to get some general ed out of the way, work, and don't act like you have an endless supply of money to spend on whatever you want and college is affordable with little to no debt.

I agree that the idea that you have to incur giant amounts of debt to attend school is largely preposterous. I would have had no debt if the military hadn't screwed me over royally. My wife, who had no athletic scholarships or military money, managed to keep her entire school debt load under $20k by going to in-state universities. People who go to school and come out with enough debt to buy a rare car just baffle me, unless they're in a field that makes six-figures or have a PhD as a result.

But you do need to go to college. I have a buddy who could do what I do now and make about 150% more as a result, but he never went to college, so no one will even give him an interview despite having done the job for 3 years. They'd rather hire a college graduate who may not even be half as talented as him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:49 pm

If people want to have a job where they use their hands in a skilled manner, college is not a requirement. Maybe a trade school or technical school, but not a four-year degree. If they want to sit in front of a flaybooz all day, they'll need their degree, but even then there are exceptions.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:54 pm

If I could do it all over, I'd just be a reality TV star instead of going to college. Those kids make bankkkkkk.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 pm

If I could do it all over again, I would have dropped out after my sophomore year and focused my efforts on building the next Google. I'm my own boss anyway and I still make bank, but I would have achieved world domination.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 pm

If I had it to do all over again I'd become a teacher: decent pay, full benefits, and 3 months off a year? Sign me up. Actually, I've been considering going back to school to become a teacher, but I honestly don't think I could deal with parents and administration.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk