stat entry system - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

stat entry system

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

stat entry system

Postby Pos(t)er » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm

I play in a 10 team, roto baseball league, but it's not online. At the end of the year, we take the best 17 players from our 25 man roster and turn them in with really only a vague idea of who is turning in what so there is no way to know who wins until all the teams are turned in and stats added up. Hope this makes sense.

Anyway, I'm looking for some kind of stat entry system where I can designate 10 teams, and fill the rosters with certain players and then look at accumulated stats. The only rub is that the stats would have to be pulled in dynamically much like Yahoo or ESPN so that all the numbers wouldn't have to be manually entered whenever I want to see how the teams are doing. Does this type of thing exist?
Pos(t)er
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:58 am

Pos(t)er wrote: At the end of the year, we take the best 17 players from our 25 man roster and turn them in with really only a vague idea of who is turning in what so there is no way to know who wins until all the teams are turned in and stats added up. Hope this makes sense.

Image
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1893
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:40 am

Pos(t)er wrote:I play in a 10 team, roto baseball league, but it's not online.


Where do you live, Canada? :-D

The easiest thing to do is to copy and paste the year end stats from some place like CBS or ESPN and simply add in the fantasy team names, then sort.

You do know that fantasy baseball moved online like a decade ago, right ?? No more waiting for the commsih's mail Tuesday afternoons to get an update, no more grid paper needed. ;-D

What ever it is you are playing, there is an online format for it.

Heck for a small fee, say 10 bucks a team, you can find a few companies that will design a league to your exact specs.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby Tony Micelli » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 am

wrveres wrote:
Pos(t)er wrote:I play in a 10 team, roto baseball league, but it's not online.


Where do you live, Canada? :-D

The easiest thing to do is to copy and paste the year end stats from some place like CBS or ESPN and simply add in the fantasy team names, then sort.

You do know that fantasy baseball moved online like a decade ago, right ?? No more waiting for the commsih's mail Tuesday afternoons to get an update, no more grid paper needed. ;-D

What ever it is you are playing, there is an online format for it.

Heck for a small fee, say 10 bucks a team, you can find a few companies that will design a league to your exact specs.


lol, yeah man ... I'd definitely advise you to take your league online ... it would be so much more convenient and easier for everyone.
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 342
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby RugbyD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:05 am

we use customstat.com for one league. they will build in whatever settings you want.

if you know some excel you can slap something together pretty easily using data from dougstats.com and the VLOOKUP function.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: stat entry system

Postby Pos(t)er » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 am

:-) I know that there are online leagues. In fact, I play in a couple Yahoo leagues. This particular league that I am referring to, was established in the mid-80's and they're not interested in moving to an online format because the challenge is that you have to guess who is turning in what players. I don't want to copy and paste stats into a Excel doc because this is a deep league (250 players). I'm looking for something that can pull in stats and allows me to create teams and add players and sort them in that way
Pos(t)er
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am

Pos(t)er wrote::-) I know that there are online leagues. In fact, I play in a couple Yahoo leagues. This particular league that I am referring to, was established in the mid-80's and they're not interested in moving to an online format because the challenge is that you have to guess who is turning in what players. I don't want to copy and paste stats into a Excel doc because this is a deep league (250 players). I'm looking for something that can pull in stats and allows me to create teams and add players and sort them in that way


You can do that in Excel. Just download the current stats file and then you can add a team number to certain players and use a formula to get you the totals.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby Pos(t)er » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:28 am

Hmmmm.....interesting. So I guess this now becomes more of an Excel question. When you say "download the current stats file", which current stats file do you mean? Are you referring to Dougstats? What is the VLOOKUP function?
Pos(t)er
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:35 am

Pos(t)er wrote:Hmmmm.....interesting. So I guess this now becomes more of an Excel question. When you say "download the current stats file", which current stats file do you mean? Are you referring to Dougstats? What is the VLOOKUP function?

Dougstats is the place to go for the stats. VLOOKUP would be fine, but to keep things easy you probably could just use SUMIF. A little googling should get you a basic tutorial.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stat entry system

Postby Pos(t)er » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 pm

After looking this over, it seems a little out of my league, as I know nothing about Excel or how to import files, etc. Would anyone be willing to just set up a template for me? I would be able to pay for your time. Once everything is set up, I would probably be able to update the file with current stats.
Pos(t)er
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Sep. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Houston
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact