Jeremy Giambi now in Philadelphia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Giambi now in Philadelphia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeremy Giambi now in Philadelphia

Postby YankeezB1 » Wed May 22, 2002 8:16 pm

I currently own Jeremy Giambi in a mixed league. I have plenty of outfielders and all are much better than Giambi. I was wondering if I should drop Giambi in favor of Jeff Suppan. I could use another pitcher but it isn't necessary. I just wanted to get some second opinions about whether or not you think Giambi will make an impact in Philadelphia. Thanks a lot.
YankeezB1
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago » Wed May 22, 2002 10:06 pm

Yes, feel free to drop Giambi, as he won't have an effect in Philadelphia, or ever in the game of baseball.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Thu May 23, 2002 1:37 am

GO PHIGHTIN' PHILS!!!!

Finally, someone who can replace Glanville's bat.....if only he knew how to field.

As far as fantasy purposes, I'd keep Giambi as far away from your roster as possible.

Shreeps
it'sbeenawhile

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu May 23, 2002 4:30 am

What I've been hearing (unconfirmed) is that Giambi would also cut into Travis Lee's playing time.

Anyway, in a mixed league where you have an abundance of outfielders, go ahead and drop him. If anything, his numbers will go down slightly in Philadelphia. He might be a nice pickup in deep NL-only leagues, but Chicago and it'sbeenawhile are right: in mixed leagues, he's not someone you want at your roster.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun May 26, 2002 9:17 am

Well, no complaints so far... :-D

Time for Travis Lee owners to start being very seriously worried.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Lee

Postby cwebb » Sun May 26, 2002 4:59 pm

The Braves might be interested in acquiring Lee, Giambi plays at 1B right now.

Anyway, both Lee and Jeremy Giambi shouldn't be on your roster! But if you have Lee, you'd better hope he gets to bat in a lineup like the Braves'! That might bump his value up a notch.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Jeremy Giambi

Postby Soda777 » Mon May 27, 2002 12:56 pm

In any leagues but the shallowest pick up Jeremy Giambi. Last year he started showing what he can do with the bat. He can hit with power, drive in runs, and he has exceptional plate discipline. He will lose some playing time late in games for defensive purposes. But he should get between 400 and 500 at bats and provide nice numbers. Look elsewhere for speed.

I think it is time for some sport journalist to out the answer as to why Jeremy Giambi was traded so quickly for next to nothing. Certainly, Giambi could have attracted more value in trade. I would think the owner of the A's would want to receive the greatest value possible for his players in trade. Jeremy hits for average, has a superior on base percentage, and can drive the ball. I can think of a few teams that have position players or designated hitters that do not have Jeremy's production over the last year and would be anxious to take on a player with his skills.
Soda777

Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon May 27, 2002 1:17 pm

Good point. I can certainly see why the A's were looking to deal Giambi, considering their other options, but the low return did come as a surprise... just as he'll be a nice fantasy surprise if he truly does earn significant playing time.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chicago » Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:01 am

Seems I was a bit too harsh on Jeremy when I said he'd never do anything ever in the game of baseball. I take everything back what I said about Jeremy Giambi, for now. Although still a free agent in all of the leagues I'm in, and someone I wouldn't recommend for pickup unless you like to play the hot bats, Jeremy is slowly inching his way close to being a solid 4th OF'er, or a definite starter for deep NL-only leagues. He's got 11 HR's while hitting .291. And he's been on an offensive tear since being traded to Philly. He'll probably eventually cool off, but for now he has beaten out Travis Lee for the 1B job, and may soon be eligible for that position in many leagues.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers