Share Your Current Favourite Noms Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Share Your Current Favourite Noms Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Share Your Current Favourite Noms Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:28 am

The Kogi trucks usually tweeted where they were going to be so whenever they made their way into Westwood (which was often) I would wait for them. Excellent food.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:52 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Disappointed that with all the LA talk nobody picked up on the burger pic I dropped in here.

Ah, I assumed that's an upscale California burger which just so happens to be made in a local joint in Michigan. :-b

Father's Office makes arguably the best burger in the L.A. area. It is burger town and it has stiff competition, but amongst the class of upscale burgers, it's still the best in the area.

I never made it to Umami Burger......how do they compare because it seemed pretty split from the conversations I had.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I just finished lunch - leftover garlic shrimp in a brandy cream sauce, served on wild rice.

The icky part is, with about two bites to go, I realized that one of the grains of rice wasn't rice, but a grub. I got a second opinion from a coworker, and it definitely wasn't rice.

So my new noms is grubs. :-P
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:59 pm

knapplc wrote:I just finished lunch - leftover garlic shrimp in a brandy cream sauce, served on wild rice.

The icky part is, with about two bites to go, I realized that one of the grains of rice wasn't rice, but a grub. I got a second opinion from a coworker, and it definitely wasn't rice.

that's nasty...a few weeks back i went to take the final bite of my salad and it fell back in the bowl...when i went to scoop it up again i noticed a dead fly on top of the bite %-6
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:01 pm

knapplc wrote:I just finished lunch - leftover garlic shrimp in a brandy cream sauce, served on wild rice.

Dude that is nasty. %-6

I ate a slice of ant covered pizza once. In my heavy partying days when I had a bunch of douchebag roommates who never cleaned...me included. We had pizza the night before and I woke up early and grabbed a slice out of the box. The light was dim in the kitchen so I never noticed the ants. I was down to the crust when I realized something was tickling my forearm....I had ants all over my hand and forearm. :-{
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 pm

That's just high-protein rice, Knapp, it's all the rage.

I have a cherry tree in my backyard. Last year, after eating a couple hundred cherries over about a week, I noticed a worm in one of them. After that I started checking, and at least 50% of them had worms. I'm sure I ate at least 50 worms that week, but they were small, and apparently harmless.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:20 pm

seriously.. the wings are delicious ;-D

if you are ever in Kansas City, check out Kauffman and then head here. Best food I've ever had! :-L
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:06 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Disappointed that with all the LA talk nobody picked up on the burger pic I dropped in here.

Ah, I assumed that's an upscale California burger which just so happens to be made in a local joint in Michigan. :-b

Father's Office makes arguably the best burger in the L.A. area. It is burger town and it has stiff competition, but amongst the class of upscale burgers, it's still the best in the area.

I never made it to Umami Burger......how do they compare because it seemed pretty split from the conversations I had.

I haven't been to Umami Burger either and I've also heard mixed reviews from friends. Usually if I hear 5-10 lousy word-of-mouth reviews, I probably wouldn't drop in to try.

Reminds me when I was working in Hollywood a few years ago and there were upscale burger restaurants every which way, which made for some interesting dining options (and spoiled for choice for any food you're in the mood for). I used to frequent Lucky Devils, once sometimes even twice a week, mostly for the outstanding beer selection (best in Hollywood IMO). They have nice American-based Kobe burgers (ironically the turkey burger is the best of the bunch), but in truth, the place just isn't the same spot I used to love going to for a number of reasons. There's also a place inside the Roosevelt Hotel down the street, near Hollywood & Highland called 25 Degrees where you can customize your high-end burger but found the burger a bit greasy for my liking and prefer Lucky Devils to that. I'd say that the Bowery makes the best burger in that part of town, a sirloin burger piled high on an English muffin. Shame that the place is a tight squeeze and the beer selection while decent, doesn't touch that of Lucky Devils. The Hungry Cat is a seafood restaurant in the Sunset & Vine complex, but is infamous for the most massive burger you can possibly find anywhere. Good stuff. Still, I'd say Father's Office is a touch above all of those, as far as high-end burgers go.

Irv's Burger and The Apple Pan make some brilliant burgers without all the luxury accompaniments, better than the average In-N-Out. Oh, and Tommy's is a must-visit especially if you like chili cheeseburgers.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:13 pm

The Apple Pan was right across the street from Westwood Pavilion where I caught the bus so I ate there a few times. It was pretty good. Never made it to Tommy's though.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:24 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:The Apple Pan was right across the street from Westwood Pavilion where I caught the bus so I ate there a few times. It was pretty good. Never made it to Tommy's though.

There are Tommy's scattered around the greater LA area but the best one is the original place west of Downtown (closer to Echo Park/Silverlake).

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk