Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Prop 8 Ruled Unconstitutional

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Madison wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Well, that's not exactly true. Folks of the homosexual persuasion have been dealing with stereotypes forever about how gay relationships are only for sex and not for love. Using a word that has no romance or happiness in it just happens to perpetuate that idea.

I'd say using a word with no romance or happiness shows they aren't doing it just for the "thrill". Also having *any* kind of legal bond to a partner would solidify that person and make it clear that they are not part of the stereotype. But that's just how I see it.

Well yeah, that's how you see it. Your motives may be pure and you may recognize them as fully what they are, but there's tens of millions of people that don't recognize the legitimacy of gay relationships. The longer we keep it in the letter of the law that gay relationships are unworthy of having the definition changed to include them, the longer these perceptions will live.

Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:Simply make every joining that is recognized by the state a Civil Union, and we're all equal. The term marriage can go away, or be relegated to religious significance alone, and that's that.

This I agree with. Giantsfan mentioned the exact same thing awhile back and the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. ;-D

You don't want to change the definition of marriage but you support changing the definition of civil union? :-?

By the way, when you referred to your lesbo friend as "civilly wed", you were unwittingly legitimizing their relationship as a marriage. Saying they're "wed" means they had a wedding, and the Oxford English Dictionary defines a wedding as "a marriage ceremony, especially considered as including the associated celebrations". Maybe that's why she didn't have a problem with it. QED by OED, sucka. :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:By the way, when you referred to your lesbo friend
Neato Torpedo wrote: sucka. :-b

literally LOL! :-D
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 pm

I support Texas being it's own country and then building a wall around it to keep the texans out of our country. And then I propose a tax for anything the texans want to buy from us.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:when you referred to your lesbo friend

Interesting to use the derogatory term of "lesbo" while trying to defend gay marriage. True colors shining through? :-b

I didn't bump this thread over that though, I saw it and laughed when you first posted it. Anyway, I bumped this thread because I found this article quite interesting:

HONOLULU — Hawaii lawmakers Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would allow civil unions for same-sex couples.

Civil unions would begin Jan. 1, 2012.

The measure grants gay and lesbian couples the same rights and benefits the state provides to married couples.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41630515/ns/us_news-life/

A big argument people made was that civil unions were not equal to marriage in the legal sense. Seems like it was rather easy for Hawaii to fix that problem. So why can't the other states do the same thing and put this issue to bed once and for all? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 am

Madison wrote: So why can't the other states do the same thing and put this issue to bed once and for all? :-?

Same contrary question as six months ago. I'll even phrase it just like yours: "Why can't other states just allow same sex marriage and put this issue to bed once and for all?"

The solution is always so easy when we only consider our own side of it and viewpoints.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

This is seriously the easiest fix of any controversial issue. The government no longer uses the term marriage for anyone. Civil unions are used by the government for any two people who want to get "married". Marriages are given out at the discretion of churches. The whole argument that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married stems from the religious aspect of marriage, so separate religion and state and the whole thing is fixed.

Next problem please.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:35 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:This is seriously the easiest fix of any controversial issue. The government no longer uses the term marriage for anyone. Civil unions are used by the government for any two people who want to get "married". Marriages are given out at the discretion of churches. The whole argument that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married stems from the religious aspect of marriage, so separate religion and state and the whole thing is fixed.

Next problem please.

i soooo agree.
get government out of the marriage business.
problem solved!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Ugh, not this again.

I'll say it again that in the eyes of the government, a marriage arranged by the state is the same as one in any religious entity. Therefore, all rights and privileges of marriage are granted onto secularly married, religiously married same-sex and heterosexual couples are the same. Changing the name as state-bound marriages as "civil unions" therefore doesn't make sense.

It's not like in France where civil unions (PACS) have different coverage of rights than married couples.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

while we are at it, lets find a way to get lawyers out of the marriage business too.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:This is seriously the easiest fix of any controversial issue. The government no longer uses the term marriage for anyone. Civil unions are used by the government for any two people who want to get "married". Marriages are given out at the discretion of churches. The whole argument that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married stems from the religious aspect of marriage, so separate religion and state and the whole thing is fixed.

Next problem please.

The discretion of the churches? So people who aren't Christian can't get married? Great solution. Rather than ending discrimination against gay people, let's discriminate against them AND a lot of others as well.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk