TV/Internet provider - who do you use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 pm

jfg wrote:I think the most angry customers for me are the ones who can't get their technical issues fixed and all I can do is send out another tech when they've already had multiple. I understand their frustration and that's all I can say, but I just don't get why people just don't say enough is enough and go somewhere else. I would never allow a company to come over to my house more than twice to fix the same issue.

Yeah, I could see how that would tick people off. Like I said, I don't envy CSR reps at all.

Generally I give people a chance or two to fix things, but once it reaches the silly point, I switch to another company.

jfg wrote:I'll give you an example of a 12 year old call because I just got one:

Guy calls in to report door tags all over the neighborhood because we're going to be doing construction. I apologize for that and he goes on and on about how they are flying all over the neighborhood and we are paying someone who's not doing their job. I ask for his address so I can report that this happened since we'll know who was supposed to be hanging the tags on the door. He says I'll give you my zip code.... I ask if I can get his full address so I can find out who was doing it and he goes on again about the flying door tags. In there he mentions he has 13 houses in his neighborhood... so it's at most 13 small pieces of paper on the ground. Still, someone didn't do their job right so I ask for his address again. He gives me the street name and no city (he never actually did give me the zip code). By this point it's clear that he just wants to be difficult so I just let him vent and tell him I'll report it. These are the 12 year olds I'm talking about.

Door tags, really? :-b

He didn't give you his address for 2 reasons. #1 is retaliation and #2 is he doesn't want it in the file that he complained because he feels that will impact his account if/when he has a real issue. I get the logic behind that. Makes it tough for you on your end, but I do understand why he wanted to remain anonymous. I've seen lots of companies do... questionable... things to customers that have the audacity ;-7 to complain about something.

Here's hoping your night gets better! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Madison wrote:Here's hoping your night gets better! ;-D

It's not that bad. Most people are pretty friendly and as long as you don't let those few calls get to you it's a decent gig. Not what I thought I'd be doing at this stage of my life but hopefully that will change.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 pm

jfg wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I'm living off HD antenna and hulu streaming through my PS3, screw cable. }:-)

I just hope bandwidth caps don't put an end to that. That's what I'd do as well. I'd probably get a Tivo and hook an antenna up to it and do the Hulu thing for stuff they allow you to watch on a TV. The problem is sports, what do you do for that? I'd live without watching them. Not worth $60 a month for me.

I did have the mlb.tv preview at the beginning of the season, but since for some reason I'm blocked from Reds, Orioles, Nats, and Braves that eliminates 1/4 of all the games. Seriously, I'm in Charlotte, NC and the Braves are the only local sports network on cable but yet I'm blocked from games that are nowhere near here. I called and complained and basically got a nonanswer as to why they were blocked, just that they were. So just kinda out of spite, I decided not to get mlb.tv. Basically I just watch sports that are on network tv.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 18, 2011 11:32 pm

jfg wrote:I think the most angry customers for me are the ones who can't get their technical issues fixed and all I can do is send out another tech when they've already had multiple. I understand their frustration and that's all I can say, but I just don't get why people just don't say enough is enough and go somewhere else. I would never allow a company to come over to my house more than twice to fix the same issue.

I learned a long time ago never to try to get into someone's head about what they're thinking. Even if I used your logic for a sec about not having someone come out more than twice to fix a problem, you're missing some key information:

1. Calling DirecTV today, for example, still won't get my service on NOW. In the least, I need to wait 1-2 days, usually more.
2. I have already paid for the service in advance. Comcast, like them all, bills you in advance for your service. When it doesn't work, people feel robbed.

I feel for the CSR's but they know going in that they are working in a call center and that the customers aren't calling to say what a great job the cable company is doing. I don't think that they should ever be disrespected on the phone but they should have thicker skin and show some empathy.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jfg » Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 am

Lofunzo wrote:
I feel for the CSR's but they know going in that they are working in a call center and that the customers aren't calling to say what a great job the cable company is doing. I don't think that they should ever be disrespected on the phone but they should have thicker skin and show some empathy.

I agree on the empathy part. There are too many CSRs in my call center who only have that thick skin and show no empathy. In tech support that should be the #1a priority next to #1b getting the problem fixed and in billing I see way too many reps who are so hard nosed and aren't willing to give a customer the benefit of the doubt... and there really isn't anything to gain by being that way. Doesn't make sense to me. Thick skin is fine but you still get burned out. There's only so much verbal abuse you can let bounce off you until it wears you out. It's crazy to me how long some people have been in my call center.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 am

Have had directTV for over 4 months now and just love it - 1000X better option than comcast. Sure it goes out when we've got some heavy rain but so far haven't missed anything important. Only wish we had waited a little bit longer to order it since now they've got an even better promotion that includes free Sunday Ticket. Oh, and we do pay the extra 6 dollars or whatever for the customer protection in case anything ever goes wrong.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 am

I see all the problems everyday, but I don't run into a whole lot of customers who are constantly getting screwed. I just don't get how a service that is so affected by weather (especially in MN) can be 1000x better than cable. With cable your service is either working or it isn't and 99 percent of the time it is. I think On Demand has some big issues, but satellite's On Demand equivalent sucks in general. I hear that satellite is so much better, but why? Is it just a price thing?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:56 am

jfg wrote:I see all the problems everyday, but I don't run into a whole lot of customers who are constantly getting screwed. I just don't get how a service that is so affected by weather (especially in MN) can be 1000x better than cable. With cable your service is either working or it isn't and 99 percent of the time it is. I think On Demand has some big issues, but satellite's On Demand equivalent sucks in general. I hear that satellite is so much better, but why? Is it just a price thing?

There is much more that goes into it than just "working". I'll just list the things that went wrong my last year with Comcast:

1) Every once in awhile, about half the channels didn't fit the viewing screen for periods of time. Few times I called it in, they sent somebody out around a week or so later. Of course it was working properly both times they showed up and promptly left saying just call again if the issue arises again.

2) Once I called in and had trouble accessing my account. Somehow, someway, a few personal info items including a password didn't match. Never did find out whether it was accidentally changed or what.

3) Just the obvious lack of care. Last season I didn't get NBA league pass thinking I just wouldn't have time to take advantage of it (or be tempted). Unsurprisingly, the free preview week at the start of the year wasn't working day 1. Called it in and at first they couldn't give me an answer then said it wasn't this week. Two days later, I noticed it was working.

4) In general, there was noticeable lag when hitting a button and having the system react to the response. Pretty sad considering the age of technology we live in.

5) Price is the icing. Why should I pay more? Especially for lousy service? Not saying DirectTV is perfect as I'm a relatively new subscriber, but it's definitely worth the risk trying something else.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:12 am

jfg wrote:I see all the problems everyday, but I don't run into a whole lot of customers who are constantly getting screwed. I just don't get how a service that is so affected by weather (especially in MN) can be 1000x better than cable. With cable your service is either working or it isn't and 99 percent of the time it is. I think On Demand has some big issues, but satellite's On Demand equivalent sucks in general. I hear that satellite is so much better, but why? Is it just a price thing?

During the time that I had DirecTV where I used to live (about 2 years) I think it went out once, maybe twice, and it was during massive, massive storms. If I lived in an area where the weather was more severe on a regular basis, maybe this would've been different. DirecTV is definitely the best television service I've ever had, with Verizon FiOS being 2nd (which I currently have), Cablevision iO being 3rd, and Time Warner Cable bringing up the rear, when all things are accounted for.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:40 pm

I just draw pictures on a white-board

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Previous

Return to General Talk