TV/Internet provider - who do you use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Somewhere along the line, people got it in their heads that they get positive results if they cause a stink.

Customers don't get to speak to the people in charge of fixing problems directly, so the thought process is if the company handles enough of the same complaints, the higher ups will finally fix the problem. I've worked many places where we changed something because of "too many complaints" or even one really ticked off person (physical threat, lawsuit, whatever), and the bigger the stink that was made, the more likely the higher ups would hear about the problem in question. Look at Twitter and Facebook nowadays. Someone gets bumped from a plane or whatever, they go on Twitter or Facebook, make a huge stink over nothing, get a ton of followers on it, and out comes the president of the company with a statement, apology, restitution, and solution. Without that big stink, the president would have never even heard about the problem and odds are very good the problem never would have been fixed.

So yeah, customer service reps will continue to get hammered by unhappy customers. The solution is either to put customers in direct contact with someone who can actually fix the problem, or train customer service representatives to fix the problem (if it is possible for a CSR to fix).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't mind complaints, I'm more than happy to listen to those and try my hardest to find a solution. My problem is when customers start acting like a 12 year old, and it happens way too often... usually once or twice a day. My world view has definitely changed doing this job.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 4:17 pm

jfg wrote:I don't mind complaints, I'm more than happy to listen to those and try my hardest to find a solution. My problem is when customers start acting like a 12 year old, and it happens way too often... usually once or twice a day. My world view has definitely changed doing this job.

Well here's something I did and we'll see where I fall on your scale. :-b

The last time I flat threw a fit at a customer service rep was awhile back. I have LifeLock (identity theft protection) and I happened to check my credit card statement around 3 AM one morning and found a $275 charge from them that was about a week old. So of course I immediately call to find out what the heck they were doing, only to be told that it was our renewal fee (myself, wife, son). Now I've got no problem with the fee, I don't care about the $275, but what I do care about is not being informed ahead of time. The rep said they only contact people if the credit card on the account had expired. I proceeded to let him know in not a very nice way that LifeLock is supposed to be "someone we can trust" according to them and they pull an absurdly shady stunt as renewing without even so much as an email letting us know it is time or that they billed us? LifeLock sends me emails all the time, so it should not be a big deal to send me a reminder that our renewal is coming up, and we should certainly be notified before being billed. Heck, I've got an auto-withdrawal set up for my car insurance and they still notify me every month of the amount and the date they will take it. Yet they didn't notify me of their yearly renewal fee at any point prior to or after taking it? Absurd! I made it crystal clear more than once that I know it isn't his personal policy or anything, but the higher ups in the company need to fix this policy immediately because if it happens again, I will take my business elsewhere. When I get upset my voice drops quite deep and I used plenty of four letter words during this conversation. That poor guy had a very bad night due to me, and while I do feel bad for him being on the other end of the phone with me, he never would have had to deal with it if he could have connected me with someone who could have immediately written a new policy for the company (one that should have already been in place) or he himself could have immediately written a new company policy. And it isn't my fault that neither option was available, so I suffered enough by having to chew out someone and *hope* I did enough damage for the problem to get fixed.

So did I act like a 12 year old? It's ok if I did, I'm fully independent :-b , I don't need validation from anyone about anything. I'm just curious is all. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah, I don't think you needed to curse the rep out because that doesn't accomplish anything. When they were done on the phone with you most likely they were relieved and just went on to the next call. You definitely had a legitimate complaint but I don't get how cursing him out is going to fix anything. A civil conversation about an issue goes a lot further than just yelling at someone. Like you said, it takes a bunch of people calling in to get something fixed so it doesn't matter if that person is yelling, calm or confused. Most likely nobody will hear that conversation except the rep and the customer so there's no reason not to keep it civil. I'm totally willing to spend an hour listening to a person vent their frustrations if they keep it civil. Not that I have a choice if they don't but I appreciate that they keep a civil tone and don't curse me out to get the same point across and let me speak if I need to explain something. I'm glad I don't work in billing though, those can get ugly and a lot of times I'd be defending a policy I might not agree with.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

jfg wrote:Yeah, I don't think you needed to curse the rep out because that doesn't accomplish anything. When they were done on the phone with you most likely they were relieved and just went on to the next call. You definitely had a legitimate complaint but I don't get how cursing him out is going to fix anything. A civil conversation about an issue goes a lot further than just yelling at someone. Like you said, it takes a bunch of people calling in to get something fixed so it doesn't matter if that person is yelling, calm or confused. Most likely nobody will hear that conversation except the rep and the customer so there's no reason not to keep it civil. I'm totally willing to spend an hour listening to a person vent their frustrations if they keep it civil. Not that I have a choice if they don't but I appreciate that they keep a civil tone and don't curse me out to get the same point across and let me speak if I need to explain something. I'm glad I don't work in billing though, those can get ugly and a lot of times I'd be defending a policy I might not agree with.

Well I didn't cuss him, it's not like I called him an a**hole or anything :-b , but I did refer to the "stupid f***ing bull***t" company, company policy, management, etc, more than once.

True, the guy probably just moved on to the next call, but there's a chance he said "Whew! Glad he's off the phone, he was ticked!" or the call gets mentioned to a coworker or something, and a boss finds out and wants to know what the problem was (I've been on a few CSR floors). At which point the problem gets solved. I used to be a nice guy on the phone, all friendly with CSR's figuring maybe they would submit an email to a higher up or whatever they could do, but that got me nowhere. I've found being natural (which if I'm calling in, I'm ticked off) works much better, rather than me biting my tongue and putting on a little fake smile for them.

EDIT TO ADD - And like I said, I always make it a point to point out that I know it isn't the CSR's personal fault or anything.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm

I have no problem with someone who's mad, I just hope they keep a civil tone so we can have a conversation about how we can fix it. Honestly, disappointment affects me a lot more than anger. Anger just makes me feel like I've lost control of being able to fix the customers concerns. I'm still going to try to fix the issue no matter the customers tone and I don't expect anyone to act happy about a problem, I just wish that they give me the chance to fix it instead of yelling about it. Almost everyone does, but some just have to vent. I might also be different because I don't swear much in my personal life and don't feel it needs to be brought into any conversation to prove a point.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Every rep who's worked in the call center for more than a week knows not to take it personally. I don't even think you need to say that if you're not directing the anger right at the rep which barely anybody does. I don't know anybody in my call center who talks about the angry guy they just spoke to. We usually share the crazy stories, but the angry ones happen every day and everyone just goes on to the next call or escalate it if the problem wasn't fixed and doesn't let it affect them.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 7:24 pm

jfg wrote:I have no problem with someone who's mad, I just hope they keep a civil tone so we can have a conversation about how we can fix it. Honestly, disappointment affects me a lot more than anger. Anger just makes me feel like I've lost control of being able to fix the customers concerns. I'm still going to try to fix the issue no matter the customers tone and I don't expect anyone to act happy about a problem, I just wish that they give me the chance to fix it instead of yelling about it. Almost everyone does, but some just have to vent. I might also be different because I don't swear much in my personal life and don't feel it needs to be brought into any conversation to prove a point.

I'm more than happy to be civil if the rep has the ability to fix the problem. That's pretty rare, but I have had that happen on occasion.

I've gotten to where I swear a bit much when I'm at home. Been trying to work on that. Oddly enough, I don't swear in public or on the internet. No clue why it has become so bad at home other than stress (my kiddo is killing me). Anyway, I'm working on it. !+)

jfg wrote:Every rep who's worked in the call center for more than a week knows not to take it personally. I don't even think you need to say that if you're not directing the anger right at the rep which barely anybody does. I don't know anybody in my call center who talks about the angry guy they just spoke to. We usually share the crazy stories, but the angry ones happen every day and everyone just goes on to the next call or escalate it if the problem wasn't fixed and doesn't let it affect them.

I still feel like pointing it out though. I know CSR's have to deal with ticked off people all day and I don't envy them at all. I wouldn't want to be a CSR dealing with me or someone like me. So I try to make sure they know that I know it isn't their personal fault or anything.

I worked telemarketing for many years, and spent awhile managing various aspects of that type of business (including the CSR floor) so the water cooler talk is generally similar (or it was in my experience), and once in awhile you'd hear about someone who really blew a gasket. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I think the most angry customers for me are the ones who can't get their technical issues fixed and all I can do is send out another tech when they've already had multiple. I understand their frustration and that's all I can say, but I just don't get why people just don't say enough is enough and go somewhere else. I would never allow a company to come over to my house more than twice to fix the same issue.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

I'll give you an example of a 12 year old call because I just got one:

Guy calls in to report door tags all over the neighborhood because we're going to be doing construction. I apologize for that and he goes on and on about how they are flying all over the neighborhood and we are paying someone who's not doing their job. I ask for his address so I can report that this happened since we'll know who was supposed to be hanging the tags on the door. He says I'll give you my zip code.... I ask if I can get his full address so I can find out who was doing it and he goes on again about the flying door tags. In there he mentions he has 13 houses in his neighborhood... so it's at most 13 small pieces of paper on the ground. Still, someone didn't do their job right so I ask for his address again. He gives me the street name and no city (he never actually did give me the zip code). By this point it's clear that he just wants to be difficult so I just let him vent and tell him I'll report it. These are the 12 year olds I'm talking about.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk