TV/Internet provider - who do you use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm living off HD antenna and hulu streaming through my PS3, screw cable. }:-)
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby jfg » Tue May 17, 2011 11:33 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I'm living off HD antenna and hulu streaming through my PS3, screw cable. }:-)


I just hope bandwidth caps don't put an end to that. That's what I'd do as well. I'd probably get a Tivo and hook an antenna up to it and do the Hulu thing for stuff they allow you to watch on a TV. The problem is sports, what do you do for that? I'd live without watching them. Not worth $60 a month for me.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Madison » Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 pm

jfg wrote:
Madison wrote:
jfg wrote: I get cussed out 2-3 times a week for one box in the house being down when they could go into three other rooms and watch the same program. I get that it costs a lot of money and people expect it all to work, but the fact that TV caused someone to cuss me out is just pathetic.


With what people pay (or should I say overpay), nothing cable wise should be broken, ever.


Really? That's ridiculous. It's technology, outages happen. Do you want them to hire someone to shoot all the squirrels in America? Of all people, you would be the last person I would expect to say something as crazy as that. Do, I feel that cable companies need to invest in their infrastructure? Yes. But things will still break.

Also if people are paying crazy amounts for cable it must be priced right. I didn't have cable until I started working for the company because I felt it was overpriced. If other people made that choice, it would cost less. But, they don't because the price is worth it for what they are getting I guess.


Lines are buried nowadays, so the squirrel reference doesn't apply to me (or anyone once they are finished with the project).

Crazy? Expecting something you pay for to work is crazy? :-? Sorry, I pay a bill, I expect the service to work. If they cannot do what I am paying them to do, I will find someone who can. And that goes for anything, not just cable.

And the "technology" excuse is just that, an excuse. There's a reason why some people/companies have more "technology issues" than others, and it has nothing to do with technology.

Nah, I pay what I do because no one else can do it as well. Simple as that. I will pay more for quality than I will for garbage. And if quality turns to garbage, then I fire garbage and move on to the new quality without blinking an eye.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 12:25 am

Is U-Verse really that reliable? We don't have it around here. From what I know, they basically ran a new plant in all the cities it's in. Give that 10 years and we'll see if they invest in keeping their plant updated. It's a ton of money that these companies have but they don't need to invest in it because people keep buying.

If I'm having continued problems with something I'm definitely going to switch and just walk away knowing they couldn't fix the issues. No big deal. But I'm not going to call up yelling and screaming about it. What I don't get is customers who keep having problems and think screaming about it is going to fix it. That's the companies fault for not investing to provide them with good service, and you should switch. Obviously, I can't say that to the customer but it's kind of common sense to me. I'm always willing to give a person/company a chance to fix a problem, probably even a second chance. After that I'm going somewhere else. But, I'm definitely not going to be a prick (not saying you are or that you do this) and call in saying I pay X amount each month come out and fix it right now. That doesn't help anything. If anything it's going to make it worse for you because the person you're talking to no longer respects your frustration. Sorry, I kind of wandered off the path a little bit, just had to vent.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 18, 2011 1:20 am

jfg wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I'm living off HD antenna and hulu streaming through my PS3, screw cable. }:-)


I just hope bandwidth caps don't put an end to that. That's what I'd do as well. I'd probably get a Tivo and hook an antenna up to it and do the Hulu thing for stuff they allow you to watch on a TV. The problem is sports, what do you do for that? I'd live without watching them. Not worth $60 a month for me.


The thing with Hulu is 1) they don't cover all programming and 2) you can watch certain full episodes for a limited time only. Point #1 is the big problem because content providers will eventually be wooed back into working something out with the cable providers to keep their affiliate fee rates or even, to get a more lucrative affiliate rate. Hence, why cable fees keep going up, not just because the cable companies are a bit lazy in extending their infrastructure. Netflix is more convenient because their content always stays on their system, but they're also forking up big money to lock up those deals with the studios and for the content to be distributed forever for a flat membership fee.

As far as bandwidth caps go, it's likely your cable/ISP will profit well off of streaming media. As long as they have a service offering and it just happens to be as convenient as Netflix, people will stay on their service (think of Comcast's TV Everywhere model or even on the content side - ESPN3, HBO Go). In that case, bandwidth caps might not be that big of an issue to the consumer really, unless of course big cable gets greedy on increasing what is already a very high margin business.

EDIT: Going on about sports, I think that's the primary swing factor in seeing an a la carte programming model in the long run. Problem is, again, cable/satellite providers paying high affiliate, licensing, and distribution fees to keep top-notch sports programming on board. For example, the NFL got a whopping multi-billion dollar extension from DirecTV for the rights to offer every NFL game.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:23 am

Madison wrote:
jfg wrote:
Madison wrote:
With what people pay (or should I say overpay), nothing cable wise should be broken, ever.


Really? That's ridiculous. It's technology, outages happen. Do you want them to hire someone to shoot all the squirrels in America? Of all people, you would be the last person I would expect to say something as crazy as that. Do, I feel that cable companies need to invest in their infrastructure? Yes. But things will still break.

Also if people are paying crazy amounts for cable it must be priced right. I didn't have cable until I started working for the company because I felt it was overpriced. If other people made that choice, it would cost less. But, they don't because the price is worth it for what they are getting I guess.


Lines are buried nowadays, so the squirrel reference doesn't apply to me (or anyone once they are finished with the project).

Crazy? Expecting something you pay for to work is crazy? :-? Sorry, I pay a bill, I expect the service to work. If they cannot do what I am paying them to do, I will find someone who can. And that goes for anything, not just cable.

And the "technology" excuse is just that, an excuse. There's a reason why some people/companies have more "technology issues" than others, and it has nothing to do with technology.

Nah, I pay what I do because no one else can do it as well. Simple as that. I will pay more for quality than I will for garbage. And if quality turns to garbage, then I fire garbage and move on to the new quality without blinking an eye.


mines not. during the winter Olympics i had certain HD channels go out because the line was hung too low and was scraping against my neighbors garage which wore a hole in it allowing moisture into the line and screwing up the HD
they came and fixed it for free of course but it was a minor inconvenience i had to deal with
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

jfg wrote:Is U-Verse really that reliable? We don't have it around here. From what I know, they basically ran a new plant in all the cities it's in. Give that 10 years and we'll see if they invest in keeping their plant updated. It's a ton of money that these companies have but they don't need to invest in it because people keep buying.

If I'm having continued problems with something I'm definitely going to switch and just walk away knowing they couldn't fix the issues. No big deal. But I'm not going to call up yelling and screaming about it. What I don't get is customers who keep having problems and think screaming about it is going to fix it. That's the companies fault for not investing to provide them with good service, and you should switch. Obviously, I can't say that to the customer but it's kind of common sense to me. I'm always willing to give a person/company a chance to fix a problem, probably even a second chance. After that I'm going somewhere else. But, I'm definitely not going to be a prick (not saying you are or that you do this) and call in saying I pay X amount each month come out and fix it right now. That doesn't help anything. If anything it's going to make it worse for you because the person you're talking to no longer respects your frustration. Sorry, I kind of wandered off the path a little bit, just had to vent.


It is that reliable now in my area. These lines were installed in my neighborhood about a year and a half ago. I had U-Verse in my last apartment before buying my house a few years back and it wasn't as reliable in the apartment. The house was in a new neighborhood and U-Verse wasn't available yet, but I switched the moment I could once they were done installing the lines and I have no complaints.

I don't think I'm a prick when it comes to calling in about various problems with things I pay for, but everyone's different. I generally am not happy, but I always acknowledge that it isn't the fault of the person I'm speaking with. Something like: "I know this isn't your fault personally, but this is absurd. AT&T (or whoever) needs to get this fixed. Immediately." I know customer service agents don't have fun jobs and griping at them doesn't generally do much good, so I try to make it clear that I know it wasn't their own personal mistake that caused me an issue. However, if they quote me a dumb "company policy", don't listen to me, or do cause me problems (putting stuff in the computer incorrectly as an example), then I have no problem tearing that person a new one. But I find my approach of acknowledging that I'm not upset with them personally will generally get the problem solved.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Madison » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:mines not. during the winter Olympics i had certain HD channels go out because the line was hung too low and was scraping against my neighbors garage which wore a hole in it allowing moisture into the line and screwing up the HD
they came and fixed it for free of course but it was a minor inconvenience i had to deal with


Hopefully they get your lines buried pretty soon. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 18, 2011 11:21 am

jfg wrote:Is U-Verse really that reliable? We don't have it around here. From what I know, they basically ran a new plant in all the cities it's in. Give that 10 years and we'll see if they invest in keeping their plant updated. It's a ton of money that these companies have but they don't need to invest in it because people keep buying.

If I'm having continued problems with something I'm definitely going to switch and just walk away knowing they couldn't fix the issues. No big deal. But I'm not going to call up yelling and screaming about it. What I don't get is customers who keep having problems and think screaming about it is going to fix it. That's the companies fault for not investing to provide them with good service, and you should switch. Obviously, I can't say that to the customer but it's kind of common sense to me. I'm always willing to give a person/company a chance to fix a problem, probably even a second chance. After that I'm going somewhere else. But, I'm definitely not going to be a prick (not saying you are or that you do this) and call in saying I pay X amount each month come out and fix it right now. That doesn't help anything. If anything it's going to make it worse for you because the person you're talking to no longer respects your frustration. Sorry, I kind of wandered off the path a little bit, just had to vent.


Somewhere along the line, people got it in their heads that they get positive results if they cause a stink. Every time they call up, complain, and get some benefit (credit on bill, free stuff, etc.), it just reinforces this. Unfortunately for the installers, techs, and CSR's of the world, they are the "face" of the company and they bear the brunt of this more times than not. I was a DSR and people would complain to me all the time about things that had nothing to do with me and I would just smile and offer understanding. Worked like a charm.

I don't know how you deal with these kinds of customers but, based on your responses in this thread, I'd say that you probably push back a little.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby jfg » Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Very rarely, only when the customer is genuinely looking for an answer. If I can tell that they don't really want to hear the reason a problem is happening (if there is a legitimate reason) I don't give it because that gets ugly. Honestly, not that many people call in just to vent, I get maybe 1-2 a day out of 30-40 calls. But, you dread those calls because the call finishes with the customer still unhappy and it drains you a little.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact