TV/Internet provider - who do you use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:51 pm

I cut the cord 3 months ago. My TV still gets heavy use through Netflix and soon, mlb.tv. I don't miss cable TV at all.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AEMRICH » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 am

bleach168 wrote:I cut the cord 3 months ago. My TV still gets heavy use through Netflix and soon, mlb.tv. I don't miss cable TV at all.

How do you get mlb.tv on your TV? Do you need Roku?
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

AEMRICH wrote:
bleach168 wrote:I cut the cord 3 months ago. My TV still gets heavy use through Netflix and soon, mlb.tv. I don't miss cable TV at all.

How do you get mlb.tv on your TV? Do you need Roku?

I use my PS3. It also works with Roku, Boxee, Apple TV, etc.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am

Sorry for bumping this back up but this thread will never really get outdated. I have been on both ends of the cable company/Comcast discussion being both a past customer and past employee. There are a lot of good things in this thread but this stood out to me:

jfg wrote:I don't get why everybody in here needs multiple DVR's or even multiple HD boxes.

Now, I don't know if your opinion has changed but, with the price of flatscreens coming down, why would I not want an HD box for that 2nd and 3rd TV?? I know that there are ways to get network channels in HD for "free" but what about all of the other channels that I can't get that way??

I was neither a silent employee nor a troublemaker during my 5 years working there but the issue that confused me more than anything was Comcast's policy of charging their customers more for a 2nd DVR than they did for the first DVR. I don't recall the exact numbers but, when I left, I believe that the first DVR was $13.95 and the 2nd was $15.15. That makes no sense to me. The only possible reason that I got was that they wanted to dissuade more than 1 in the home, mainly due to shortages of DVR's in stock, which I can confirm. That said, you would think that they would work to rectify this so that they could get more $$ from customers whenever possible. In my 5 years at Comcast, they went from charging nothing for HD to $1 to $2 to $5.

My current cable provider (Cablevision) is pretty smart in that they don't charge for HD service. While I understand that they spread the costs out elsewhere, it does make the customer feel that they are getting something of value. Where they do get you is with DVR's. They charge $6.95 for each box whether it's SD, HD, or DVR. Then, they add $10.95 on top for each DVR.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 am

I recently moved. used to have comcast, but my new city only has Mediacom. I thought I was unhappy with comcast. I now know the true face of evil and that is Mediacom. :-t
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I recently moved. used to have comcast, but my new city only has Mediacom. I thought I was unhappy with comcast. I now know the true face of evil and that is Mediacom. :-t

Hence, my constant statement that they all suck.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby jfg » Tue May 17, 2011 1:29 pm

All box prices (SD, HD, DVR) have become ridiculous over the past few months. It's to the point where it doesn't even make sense to get an additional standard box anymore because they are so expensive, you might as well get an HD box.

I can understand wanting an HD box on every HDTV but multiple DVR's is overkill to me. It's not so much the number of boxes it's the necessity of those boxes in some people's heads. I get cussed out 2-3 times a week for one box in the house being down when they could go into three other rooms and watch the same program. I get that it costs a lot of money and people expect it all to work, but the fact that TV caused someone to cuss me out is just pathetic.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Madison » Tue May 17, 2011 7:52 pm

jfg wrote: I get cussed out 2-3 times a week for one box in the house being down when they could go into three other rooms and watch the same program. I get that it costs a lot of money and people expect it all to work, but the fact that TV caused someone to cuss me out is just pathetic.

With what people pay (or should I say overpay), nothing cable wise should be broken, ever.

My contribution: AT&T U-Verse. 1 DVR, watch in every room of the house. Can pause in one room and pick it right back up at the same spot in another room. While U-Verse is crazy overpriced %-6 , that is a nice feature and we don't need additional DVR's thanks to that. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue May 17, 2011 8:13 pm

i switched to time warner when they were doing a $200 gift card promo for switching all 3 services (phone/internet/cable) and it has been almost 5 months and no gift card. i was a bit skeptical about the gift card coming and a lot of people aren't getting their gift cards like me when i look it up online. not sure how to make them pay up. :-/
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jfg » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Madison wrote:
jfg wrote: I get cussed out 2-3 times a week for one box in the house being down when they could go into three other rooms and watch the same program. I get that it costs a lot of money and people expect it all to work, but the fact that TV caused someone to cuss me out is just pathetic.

With what people pay (or should I say overpay), nothing cable wise should be broken, ever.

Really? That's ridiculous. It's technology, outages happen. Do you want them to hire someone to shoot all the squirrels in America? Of all people, you would be the last person I would expect to say something as crazy as that. Do, I feel that cable companies need to invest in their infrastructure? Yes. But things will still break.

Also if people are paying crazy amounts for cable it must be priced right. I didn't have cable until I started working for the company because I felt it was overpriced. If other people made that choice, it would cost less. But, they don't because the price is worth it for what they are getting I guess.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk