TV/Internet provider - who do you use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:01 pm

i got directTv about 6 months ago

cost me $100 to have the guy come out and install the dish and run cables. what sucks is you have to buy a box per TV after the free first one. not cheap. im not sure if others can lease them....my place doesnt

but after that initial cost its very cheap. around $60 for cable plus HD and DVR, then another $40 for internet(through At&t)

i was paying over $200 at comcast for 3 HD boxes w DVR. i hated paying the HD and DVR seperate amounts per TV

reception does go out for a little bit when a bad storm comes in. but its usually back on within minutes. nothing that $100 in my pocket a month cant fix

i love the free MLBTV and NFL network..awesome. plus i pay for the Redzone channel during football season.....fantasy footballer's dream($10/month)
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:38 pm

I do wish you could purchase boxes, but companies would just charge a technology fee to offset it.

I don't get why everybody in here needs multiple DVR's or even multiple HD boxes. I get them cheap as an employee discount but there's no way I'd need those if I actually had to pay for them. One HD/DVR for my main tv and DTAs or standard boxes for the rest would be ok with me. I don't need high definition in my bedroom or garage and I definitely don't need a DVR. The reason it costs so much is because it's a luxury (more than cable already is a luxury). Either way, if you are planning on having multiple DVRs or HD you guys should look into bundling services to get on a promo and get discounted prices on your extra boxes. You might not need a landline, but a lot of times you end up saving money just by taking on a phone and with a native number you wouldn't even have to pay for an install. DVR's are $7 dollars cheaper in my area under a bundled plan. Just activate it and unplug it if you don't need the phone but I bet you'll get a good promo by adding it on.

cost me $100 to have the guy come out and install the dish and run cables. what sucks is you have to buy a box per TV after the free first one. not cheap. im not sure if others can lease them....my place doesnt

but after that initial cost its very cheap. around $60 for cable plus HD and DVR, then another $40 for internet(through At&t)

If that $60 dollars is a promo price, that's not any cheaper than Comcast and that's the everyday price of internet at least in my area w/Comcast and it's probably a higher speed. Every company is expensive whether it's satellite, FIOS or cable. I guess it just depends on who you feel comfortable giving the money to.

P.S.: Don't quote me on any of this. It's different in all areas.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wake » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm bumping this thread to vent about Comcast.

I had Comcast a couple years ago and upgraded to a better cable package so I could take advantage of their promotional rate (I had five months to go in college and would be cancelling service before the prices hiked back up to their regular rates). I signed up for the new package through Comcast's online chat service and made sure to confirm with the representative what my new rates would be. Of course, I then received my new bill the next month and they were charging me the full rate for the new package instead of the promised discount rate. Long story short, after a lot of back and forth with them saying there was no promotional rate, I went to the local office with my printed transcript and got it taken care of.

Flash forward to today. I just moved into a new apartment and signed up for a package with a promotional rate. I got my first bill yesterday and, lo and behold, they were charging me the full rate. Once again, they're now denying that the bill is wrong so on Monday I'm going to go to the local office with my printed transcript (which again has the sales rep clearly stating what rates I would be receiving) to try and take care of it.

Moral of the story- Always order services online when you can and then print out the transcript. If you do it through the phone, they can just deny that they ever promised you anything. Also, Comcast sucks.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 pm

wake wrote:I'm bumping this thread to vent about Comcast.

Comcast sucks.

this is the ultimate truth. a truth that trumps all other truths.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 169)

Postby jfg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:48 pm

I just don't get how people can continue using a product that they hate with a passion. Even with limited options I couldn't deal with that.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:15 pm

not into direcTV or any other satallite dish. no other cable options where I live.

Comcast's TV and internet are fine, though over-priced. anything related to their customer service is very not fine.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 pm

wake wrote:I'm bumping this thread to vent about Comcast.

I had Comcast a couple years ago and upgraded to a better cable package so I could take advantage of their promotional rate (I had five months to go in college and would be cancelling service before the prices hiked back up to their regular rates). I signed up for the new package through Comcast's online chat service and made sure to confirm with the representative what my new rates would be. Of course, I then received my new bill the next month and they were charging me the full rate for the new package instead of the promised discount rate. Long story short, after a lot of back and forth with them saying there was no promotional rate, I went to the local office with my printed transcript and got it taken care of.

Flash forward to today. I just moved into a new apartment and signed up for a package with a promotional rate. I got my first bill yesterday and, lo and behold, they were charging me the full rate. Once again, they're now denying that the bill is wrong so on Monday I'm going to go to the local office with my printed transcript (which again has the sales rep clearly stating what rates I would be receiving) to try and take care of it.

Moral of the story- Always order services online when you can and then print out the transcript. If you do it through the phone, they can just deny that they ever promised you anything. Also, Comcast sucks.

Thanks for the info! I didn't even know I could talk to them online...

Just last week my 2-year price lock for Roadrunner, Basic Cable (70ish channels), and Digital Phone for $113 pre-tax ended. They said my new rate would be "just" $15 a month more. I had seen an article somewhere that you can negotiate with TWC, so I tried it. Said the economy was hitting me hard, wife out of work, etc. They offered me a 1-year price lock for $108 pre-tax. I said that AT&T can give me something similar for $84, "is that the closest you can come to their price?" She said $103 was the lowest they could do, so I took her word for it and took the deal. So in a way I saved $25 a month. We supplement with Netflix watch it now. Our tvs are ancient, but our monitors are pretty cool. I think I watch more tv on Netflix and Hulu than I do on tv.

Now I'm paranoid they'll do to me what they did to you only I won't have a transcript :-o
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby jfg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:not into direcTV or any other satallite dish. no other cable options where I live.

Comcast's TV and internet are fine, though over-priced. anything related to their customer service is very not fine.

Even if they were the only option and I couldn't get a dish, I would not pay for a product that I despise. That's insane to me. If more customers would stop paying for a product they hated maybe they'd have better options.

Poor customer service seems like a stupid reason to hate one company these days though... I can't think of a corporation that I've called that doesn't. It just happens that the cable company needs to make a house call sometimes which makes them look worse because it can't be fixed in a matter of minutes sometimes.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beatdrum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:43 pm

So, I currently have Dish Network and I get internet through AT&T (dsl). When talking with AT&T on the phone today, they tried to get me to bundle my phone, internet and satellite service by switching to Direct TV. Researching this bundle online, I found several horror stories about hidden fees, bad service, etc. Does anyone use the Direct TV/AT&T bundle?
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:12 pm

I just get local broadcast stations via antennae and then AT&T dsl that I use to watch the other stuff I want to from the internet. Saves us around $150 a month from where we were with Cox Cable.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk