TV/Internet provider - who do you use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV/Internet provider - who do you use?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
markj11 wrote:I've always had Dish Network and just switched to Comcast last week, they were running a $29.99 for 12 months with free HBO special. I mainly switched because I want to hook up at least 6 TV's and with Dish you have to pay $5 a month per tv whereas it's free with Comcast.

My internet is tethered through my cell phone.

$7.95 per month if you want HD.

Fixed. Plus $7.95 a month per TV if you want it on more than one. So if you have 6 HDTVs and you want HD on all of them, you're down $18 a month right off the bat (compared to the Dish price) on top of your regular subscription.

Comcast is bad news.
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

After talking with the tech guy Comcast sent over to me, I officially have a personal vendetta with whoever made the decision to install a device that BLOCKS high definition signals and then charge $8 a month plus $8 for every HDTV you have in order to get the channels you had BEFORE they blocked them. This is borderline criminal, and I don't want to send these punks money anymore. :-t I'm going to terminate my contract ASAP and switch to DirecTV. I'm done.

COMCAST IS EVIL

So does anyone get MLB Extra Innings? Right now they're offering it for $140, but is that the full season price or is that the price for the remainder of the year?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Do you think you're going to get 6 free HD boxes from Direct? Because you're not going to be able to pick up an HD signal plugging a cable directly into the TV with them, you need boxes on every TV just like Comcast. Comcast was one of the last companies to switch from analog to digital and like I said before, they aren't blocking them, it's only because the box can not process an over the air (which means the cable is working as an antenna and pulling in stations that you'd normally pick up with rabbit ears)HD signal that Comcast is not providing you that you can't them under your current setup. You can still plug a cable into an A/B switch and have your local HD channels so no, Comcast is not blocking them. I can understand a lot of gripes about Comcast but not this one. Good luck getting Direct TV to provide you with 6 HD boxes at no extra charge. They might give you a couple free for a year but you'll end up paying the same if not more in the long run.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:21 pm

jfg wrote:Do you think you're going to get 6 free HD boxes from Direct? Because you're not going to be able to pick up an HD signal plugging a cable directly into the TV with them, you need boxes on every TV just like Comcast. Comcast was one of the last companies to switch from analog to digital and like I said before, they aren't blocking them, it's only because the box can not process an over the air (which means the cable is working as an antenna and pulling in stations that you'd normally pick up with rabbit ears)HD signal that Comcast is not providing you that you can't them under your current setup. You can still plug a cable into an A/B switch and have your local HD channels so no, Comcast is not blocking them. I can understand a lot of gripes about Comcast but not this one. Good luck getting Direct TV to provide you with 6 HD boxes at no extra charge. They might give you a couple free for a year but you'll end up paying the same if not more in the long run.

Good point, I was blinded with rage for a few minutes. :*) Still, DirecTV is charging the same price for a lot more channels, and at the same time they're not as deceptive as Comcast is. Also, I tried the A/B switch method and I'm still not getting HD channels, so I assume Comcast is at fault. :-?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:24 pm

That's weird that the A/B switch didn't work because there really is no way for Comcast to block channels because it's over the air signals. Some people didn't even get them in the first place. If you were getting them you should now and Comcast even supplies the A/B switches free of charge to ensure that people still get those channels albeit in a way that's not as convenient.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Anyone with DirecTV have communication problems with customer service?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Anyone with DirecTV have communication problems with customer service?

Nope.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm

I have a question for DirectTV users that would help me out with my job. How much is the service charge if you have to have someone out to fix something and are you charged it no matter what the problem is?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Another question for DirecTV people: what was the initial installation like? Swiftness of shipping? Cost of installation?

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Can't answer jfg's question because I've never had a problem with Directv's service. It is literally up 99.9+% of the time. I imagine if my dish got damaged, then I would need someone to come fix it, but those things are really sturdy.

Neato Torpedo wrote:Another question for DirecTV people: what was the initial installation like? Swiftness of shipping? Cost of installation?

You could install the dish yourself if you know how. Installation is probably going to be done by a third-party technician that is certified by Directv. The expertise of the guy they send out can be quite varied. I've had three different experiences. The first guy who came said it needed to be properly grounded requiring him to go to Home Depot to purchase extra equipment that would greatly increase the cost of installation. So I told him to leave. The second guy, from a different company, came and did a bang up job and got it going in no time with no trouble or fuss. Years later, the third time (to upgrade to HD), some totally incompetent guy showed up, took hours and could only get half the channels working and in the process disabled my cable internet service. I had to get his supervisor to come out the next day to fix all the problems.

You only have to book an appointment a few days in advance and they show up with all the equipment. The costs will vary. You might be able to get professional installation for free and you should try to haggle and get free DVRs and other possible free offers.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk