4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:38 am

In H2H, I'm the polar opposite: I load up on starting pitching and care little for closers (unless I get them for a reasonable price). I'd rather have a say in wins and K's by volume with ERA/WHIP being a secondary priority. A flare-up here and there from your RP's can inflate your ERA/WHIP with less innings in play.

Also, I play in one H2H league each year that has holds and as a matter of fact, I'm in two. Even then, I still manage to get either 3 closers/1 MR or 2 closers/2 MR. There is one league in which I disregarded saves completely and that was Andy Behrens' auction draft league in favor of holds for just $1 each. More than 3 closers is overkill in H2H, IMO, but more power to you if you have more than that.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby carter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:32 am

bigh0rt wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:going off the holds comment....i play in 2 leagues every year w holds...both H2H. i usually only have 1 closer...just to ensure ill get 1 save. then roll out the rest of my available RP and P spots w holders.

so if im playing another guy w only holders...hopefully i win an easy point by getting 1 save. but generally im content w winning holds most of the time...and not spending lots of team value on closers

Why only have 1 closer then? I doubt that 1 save will win you the saves category very many weeks

depends how big the league is

yes.. league settings is EVERYTHING .. in a 20 team league, you can get by with 1 closer, if your stocked enough on hitting and/or sp's ... its also the more realistic way to play, as theres no such thing as having nonsense like 4 or 5 closers at once on a real MLB team
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 am

I play in a 10 team H2H league and I have found that if I carry 5 closers it costs me points in W and K. I usually run with 3 in that league.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers