4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:38 am

In H2H, I'm the polar opposite: I load up on starting pitching and care little for closers (unless I get them for a reasonable price). I'd rather have a say in wins and K's by volume with ERA/WHIP being a secondary priority. A flare-up here and there from your RP's can inflate your ERA/WHIP with less innings in play.

Also, I play in one H2H league each year that has holds and as a matter of fact, I'm in two. Even then, I still manage to get either 3 closers/1 MR or 2 closers/2 MR. There is one league in which I disregarded saves completely and that was Andy Behrens' auction draft league in favor of holds for just $1 each. More than 3 closers is overkill in H2H, IMO, but more power to you if you have more than that.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby carter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:32 am

bigh0rt wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:going off the holds comment....i play in 2 leagues every year w holds...both H2H. i usually only have 1 closer...just to ensure ill get 1 save. then roll out the rest of my available RP and P spots w holders.

so if im playing another guy w only holders...hopefully i win an easy point by getting 1 save. but generally im content w winning holds most of the time...and not spending lots of team value on closers

Why only have 1 closer then? I doubt that 1 save will win you the saves category very many weeks

depends how big the league is

yes.. league settings is EVERYTHING .. in a 20 team league, you can get by with 1 closer, if your stocked enough on hitting and/or sp's ... its also the more realistic way to play, as theres no such thing as having nonsense like 4 or 5 closers at once on a real MLB team
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 am

I play in a 10 team H2H league and I have found that if I carry 5 closers it costs me points in W and K. I usually run with 3 in that league.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers