4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Postby alyon00 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:06 am

I just wanted to post a quick topic on what everyones strategy in their h2h leagues is. I perfer to load up on pitchers and only have 1 bench player. I carry 4 closers. It's a ten team league. How many do you carry and why?? Just wondering!
alyon00
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4 or 5 closers? Whats your Pitching Strategy?

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:02 am

obviously you'd like to get as many closers if possible. generally in competitive leagues, it's hard to compile 4, let alone 5, but if it's possible without really giving up much in the hitting area, id go with as many as i could fit on my active roster.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby carter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:59 am

i once saw someone win an H2H league with no closer for the entire season .. it was 12 teams though, 5x5
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby TDS-MN » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Agreed that the size of your league will dictate how many RP are rosterable. In the 12-teamer I've played for a few years, I always try to get 3 that are fairly reliable. I think that there might be a team with more, but many only carry 2. I'm in another smaller league, and I have 4 there. It's very rare to find a closer in the FA pool in either of my leagues, though. Even some of the 'occasional' or comittee-type RP's are taken on the chance that they'll come up with a save here and there.

In years past I have always tried to keep my bench mostly filled with SP or RP. This year, though I am getting away from that, at least still at this point. But I've always thought that Pitchers carry a little more value, and offer flexibility.

For what it's worth, I have never bothered playing in a league that counts HOLDS as a stat, though. I just don't really care for that as a category, personally.
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:31 pm

going off the holds comment....i play in 2 leagues every year w holds...both H2H. i usually only have 1 closer...just to ensure ill get 1 save. then roll out the rest of my available RP and P spots w holders.

so if im playing another guy w only holders...hopefully i win an easy point by getting 1 save. but generally im content w winning holds most of the time...and not spending lots of team value on closers
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Oatsdad » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:22 pm

My H2H league uses holds as well, so I try to carry 6 relievers. This started as 3 closers, 3 middle, but when I realized that most people just punted holds, I changed to 4 closers, 2 middle. Saves are more competitive, so that makes sense.

Of course, the trades last week mucked up my strategy, as one closer - Rauch - became middle relief. :~(

I now have two solid closers - Broxton and Wilson - with one could-soon-lose-the-job closer (Simon) and one question mark closer (Hanrahan). Bard is my only tried-and-true middle reliever; Rauch has that job now, but who knows if he stays in it? If Capps falters, Rauch could be back to closing.

Adams comes off the DL soon - not sure who I drop when that happens. I don't want to go back to three middle relievers, but I also don't want to simply drop Rauch...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana168 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:35 pm

It really all depends on the league setups. In Roto leagues with IP limits, I like to stock pile as many closers as there are spaces for RP and P because it helps the IP/K ratio a lot and you only need to keep 4-6 quality SP. In a H2H league, I will draft maybe 3-4 quality closers and find another 1-2 throughout the season. I usually like to stick to 4 closers if it is a slightly shallower league, that way I can use that spot for another SP or hitter. Although in a deeper league, (my 30-player rosters dynasty) I like to have 5 closers because my competition (except for 1 other team in the league) has 4 or less and it usually assures me a win in that cat every week (15-2 on the season).
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 pm

I like to hoard closers. At one point earlier in the season, I had 7 closers on my staff in one league. You can never have enough closers, because they are clutch trade pieces and it's a very volatile position where a lot of turnover occurs (that team with 7 closers is now down to 4). I say the more the merrier. If you can fill every available RP/P slot with a closer, that's usually the best way to operate.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

shawngee03 wrote:going off the holds comment....i play in 2 leagues every year w holds...both H2H. i usually only have 1 closer...just to ensure ill get 1 save. then roll out the rest of my available RP and P spots w holders.

so if im playing another guy w only holders...hopefully i win an easy point by getting 1 save. but generally im content w winning holds most of the time...and not spending lots of team value on closers

Why only have 1 closer then? I doubt that 1 save will win you the saves category very many weeks
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 345)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm

wingman3110 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:going off the holds comment....i play in 2 leagues every year w holds...both H2H. i usually only have 1 closer...just to ensure ill get 1 save. then roll out the rest of my available RP and P spots w holders.

Why only have 1 closer then? I doubt that 1 save will win you the saves category very many weeks

depends how big the league is
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers