Strategy Q's. How to utilize a plethora of startable players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy Q's. How to utilize a plethora of startable players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy Q's. How to utilize a plethora of startable players

Postby m16a » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm a quandary here. Being new to fantasy baseball, I'm not fully sure how to handle it. I have a stacked outfield and I am starting to have trouble deciding who to play and who to sit. How does one decide which players from a large group of hot and startable players (I've got guys such as Pagan, Cruz, Hart, Rasmus etc.). In football, you can play matchups because of how much smaller a season, but in baseball, I'm not certain. Do I look at batter versus pitcher stats? Do I take into account how the team is doing overall? What factors should play into my decision as I set my line up each day? Advice is greatly appreciated.

M16a
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy Q's. How to utilize a plethora of startable players

Postby moose32 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:57 pm

My first piece of advice is to consolidate by trading two players for one player. If you can't do that then look at lefty/righty splits and the matchups for the day. If the guy can't hit lefties and he's facing a lefty bench him. Otherwise just start the players you think are best overall.
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:59 pm

moose32 wrote:My first piece of advice is to consolidate by trading two players for one player.

Either that or try to trade a hitter for a pitcher.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby m16a » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
moose32 wrote:My first piece of advice is to consolidate by trading two players for one player.

Either that or try to trade a hitter for a pitcher.

I've got Verlander, Jimenez, Haren, Cueto, Lewis, Pelfrey, and Scherzer. Do I REALLY need more pitching. (trick question, you can never have too much pitching.)

Where can one find righty/lefty splits for hitters?
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:14 pm

m16a wrote:Pelfrey

My condolences. :-/ 68 baserunners in his last 25 1/3 IP.

Batter splits can be found on pretty much any player page under "splits". R/L splits will be something like "vs. left" or "vs. LH" or "vs. LHP" etc. They're on Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, Baseball Reference, Fangraphs, and more.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Splits can be found two main ways.
1) You can click on the player's name in Yahoo to bring up their page and click on the "Split Stats" tab near the top.
2) You can go to http://www.baseballreference.com and search the player there for whatever you need.

As for your dilemma, you mentioned 4 OFs. I would first try to put one on your Util spot, the other 3 in your OF, thereby using all of them. Or, as previously mentioned, try and trade 2 for 1 - say, Hart and Rasmus for Braun? Or something like that. Find a team in need of 2 great OFs and send out a flier for their best player. Make sure it's at a position you could use though. You could also deal an OF for a SP as mentioned. Either way, it's always good to be in the seat of having guys to give up rather than needing guys to fill in.

Good luck.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby m16a » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:03 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Splits can be found two main ways.
1) You can click on the player's name in Yahoo to bring up their page and click on the "Split Stats" tab near the top.
2) You can go to http://www.baseballreference.com and search the player there for whatever you need.

As for your dilemma, you mentioned 4 OFs. I would first try to put one on your Util spot, the other 3 in your OF, thereby using all of them. Or, as previously mentioned, try and trade 2 for 1 - say, Hart and Rasmus for Braun? Or something like that. Find a team in need of 2 great OFs and send out a flier for their best player. Make sure it's at a position you could use though. You could also deal an OF for a SP as mentioned. Either way, it's always good to be in the seat of having guys to give up rather than needing guys to fill in.

Good luck.

I have neglected to mention I also have Choo and Delmon Young. That makes my life a difficult one, albeit a good kind of difficult with all such players. I put out a feeler for Votto. I'd love a 1B upgrade over the inconsistent Pena. Also, Braun has been having something of an off year. Is he really going to be an upgrade over a guy like Cruz who has been raking most of the year? (I know what the preseason rankings look like.)

As for the splits, thanks for the info. I like advice from experienced players. It's a helpful thing to have. ;-D
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod

Postby fast dogs » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:59 pm

you also want to look at how each batter has done vs that days SP.You can find this years #'s as well as previous. Sometimes its just a matter of looking ahead to see who is facing the best SP's. In many ways playing in shallow leagues is tougher deciding who start since you have so many good players. Sometimes a slightly weaker option facing a much weaker SP is the way to go. Avoid the aces whenever possible, pick on the rookies & call-ups. takes a little more work, worth it in the end
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:54 am

2-for or 3-for trade FTW. ;-D
Definitely upgrade your 1B.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby carter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:00 pm

moose32 wrote:My first piece of advice is to consolidate by trading two players for one player. If you can't do that then look at lefty/righty splits and the matchups for the day. If the guy can't hit lefties and he's facing a lefty bench him. Otherwise just start the players you think are best overall.

this is good advice - always try to upgrade.. people who downgrade never win fantasy leagues.. its important to find out who those chumps are

i also like Neato's advice.. trading for a pitcher or other need... baseball is too hard to predict on a day to day basis, so excess at one position isn't really a great thing, especially when you can improve in other areas
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers