Trade Deadline Winners And Losers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Deadline Winners And Losers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Deadline Winners And Losers

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:If the Jays can get 5-6 top 50 picks by letting Buck and the relievers walk, it's better than trading down at the deadline for poor value.

You really think this is going to happen? Wow.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:You can keep telling yourself that nothing has changed for the FA market. Not even gonna bother with that. Think that baseball economics have remained constant!

If there was a GM willing to pay Brandon Lyon $15M last winter, I don't think Downs will have too much of a problem finding a job.

mweir145 wrote:Because he could have netted a prospect, that would have been more useful to the Jays in the future that Scott Downs.

Except there are a couple of things wrong with this assumption.

#1. You don't know what he was offered.
#2. You also don't know whether it would be more useful than Scott Downs in 2011 or two top 50 picks (the Jays, for what it's worth, decided that this "prospect" wasn't).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:59 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
mweir145 wrote:If the Jays can get 5-6 top 50 picks by letting Buck and the relievers walk, it's better than trading down at the deadline for poor value.

I'm not entirely sure that Frasor will if he finishes as a Type A, but the others (Buck, Downs, Gregg)? Sure.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 pm

mweir145 wrote:If there was a GM willing to pay Brandon Lyon $15M last winter, I don't think Downs will have too much of a problem finding a job.

Again.....seriously for the last time.... AA is hoping to hit the lottery that a idiot will sign him, especially at Down's age . Good luck to AA and AA's balls.

mweir145 wrote:#1. You don't know what he was offered.

No, but we do know what the Jays were asking, and they didn't have a shot to move him with AA's ridiculousness amount of balls

#2. You also don't know whether it would be more useful than Scott Downs in 2011 or two top 50 picks (the Jays, for what it's worth, decided that this "prospect" wasn't)

Sigh, again... hoping to hit the lottery that a GM will forfeit their pick for Downs. But yet again assuming that the Jays have a legit shot at competing. Or, lol, Scott Downs is that missing piece the Jays need to compete.
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:04 pm

mweir145 wrote:I'm not entirely sure that Frasor will if he finishes as a Type A, but the others (Buck, Downs, Gregg)? Sure.

Wait, you really think Buck and Gregg have a good shot at bringing back first rounders next year?
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:09 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

I'm not entirely sure that Frasor will if he finishes as a Type A, but the others (Buck, Downs, Gregg)? Sure.

Frasor, Buck, and Gregg were all on pace to be type Bs. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/e ... break.html

But they will net supplemental picks as type B free agents.
Last edited by thedude on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:09 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm not entirely sure that Frasor will if he finishes as a Type A, but the others (Buck, Downs, Gregg)? Sure.

Wait, you really think Buck and Gregg have a good shot at bringing back first rounders next year?

You might want to look up the rules of free agency. As type B guys, the signing teams don't forfeit a pick. So yes, I would expect each of them will bring back one compensation sandwich pick when they decline arbitration.

DaSh 1s wrote:Again.....seriously for the last time.... AA is hoping to hit the lottery that a idiot will sign him, especially at Down's . Good luck to AA and AA's balls.

It's a "lottery" that doesn't really carry any risk to the Jays at all.

mweir145 wrote:No, but we do know what the Jays were asking, and they didn't have a shot to move him with AA's ridiculousness amount of balls.

No, we know what they were asking for last week. We don't know what they were asking for yesterday (or what they were offered).

Sigh, again... hoping to hit the lottery that a GM will forfeit their pick for Downs. But yet again assuming that the Jays have a legit shot at competing. Or, lol, Scott Downs is that missing piece the Jays need to compete.

The Jays can't buy championships anymore like the Yankees, but they are a very good team right now (and should be a very good team going forward). Keeping Downs (or moving him next year) doesn't hurt the team at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

You might want to look up the rules of free agency. As type B guys, the signing teams don't forfeit a pick. So yes, I would expect each of them will bring back one compensation sandwich pick when they decline arbitration.

Seriously dude you are so annoying. Type B don't bring back first rounders . They bring back sandwich picks. I Lulz'd you because you have this dream, that Buck/Greg will finish as Type A Free Agents, decline Arb, and sign elsewhere [which is what I said]. Type B free agents is a different story.

The Jays can't buy championships anymore like the Yankees, but they are a very good team right now (and should be a very good team going forward). Keeping Downs (or moving him next year) doesn't hurt the team at all.

Uh, seriously? I hate the Yankees. I am a Reds fan. Nice one.
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 pm

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

Frasor, Buck, and Gregg were all on pace to be type Bs. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/e ... break.html

But they will net supplemental picks as type B free agents.

Yeah, the Jays would definitely like to avoid Frasor moving up though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:19 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Seriously dude you are so annoying. Type B don't bring back first rounders. They bring back sandwich picks. I Lulz'd you because you have this dream, that Buck/Greg will finish as Type Free Agents, decline Arb, and sign elsewhere. Type B free agents is a different story.

Seriously bro, I never said they would bring back "first rounders." I said they would bring back top 50 picks, which is what sandwich picks are (if you aren't aware of this, look it up).

And once again, Buck and Gregg will decline arbitration (as Type B's) and likely sign elsewhere when the season is over.

Uh, seriously? I hate the Yankees. I am a Reds fan. Nice one.

Then what's with the Casey Kelly sig?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers