Trade Deadline Winners And Losers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Deadline Winners And Losers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Deadline Winners And Losers

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:43 pm

thedude wrote:Jays lose because they were unable to trade pieces that should have been traded.

No deal is better than a bad one (or more bad ones...I didn't like the Gose deal on value at all).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:Jays lose because they were unable to trade pieces that should have been traded.

No deal is better than a bad one (or more bad ones...I didn't like the Gose deal on value at all).

Because free agent middle relievers are going to have soooo much value to the Blue Jays in August and September. ;-7
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:05 pm

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Because free agent middle relievers are going to have soooo much value to the Blue Jays in August and September. ;-7

It's not this August and September that they are worrying about, I'm sure.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:07 pm

I've never understood how you can criticize a team for not making a trade when you have no idea what was even offered to them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 pm

mweir145 wrote:I've never understood how you can criticize a team for not making a trade when you have no idea what was even offered to them.

Because you are hoping to hit the lotto, that they decline Arb, and that some retard GM will forfeit his 1st round to the Jays for Middle Relief pitcher. The safe bet would have been to cash in, since the middle relief market is no where near whats its been in the past few years [despite what you think].

AA has balls. I like balls. Offer Arb, and hope they decline, and hope the village idiot signs them.

If Downs accepts arb, than AA has failed miserably. Not because he has to pay Downs, but because he didn't turn Downs into a return for the future. Instead now has a good middle relief pitcher for a 4th place team next year.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:35 pm

mweir145 wrote:I've never understood how you can criticize a team for not making a trade when you have no idea what was even offered to them.

I know what they asked for, and it was way too much. I know what other revilers went for.
mweir145 wrote:
thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:No deal is better than a bad one (or more bad ones...I didn't like the Gose deal on value at all).

It's not this August and September that they are worrying about, I'm sure.

The draft picks?

Well they might not even get a first pick. If the team who signs the free agent has one of the worst 15 records, no first round pick. If the team signs a higher ranked free agent (there are many free agents ranked higher), then no first round pick.

Okay they get a sandwich pick, sure that has some value. But even if they get a first and a sandwich pick, those players are unknowns and therefore have less value than the known that is a current prospect.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:38 pm

thedude wrote:The draft picks?

Well they might not even get a first pick. If the team who signs the free agent has one of the worst 15 records, no first round pick. If the team signs a higher ranked free agent (there are many free agents ranked higher), then no first round pick.

Okay they get a sandwich pick, sure that has some value. But even if they get a first and a sandwich pick, those players are unknowns and therefore have less value than the known that is a current prospect.

I seriously question that ANY team will value Downs more than their first rounder. Teams with protected picks sure, but why would horrible teams feel the need to add 34 year old relievers?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:42 pm

thedude wrote:I know what they asked for, and it was way too much.

Sorry, but nobody here knows what the final prices for any of their players was.

The draft picks?

If the Jays can get 5-6 top 50 picks by letting Buck and the relievers walk, it's better than trading down at the deadline for poor value.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:46 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:The safe bet would have been to cash in, since the middle relief market is no where near whats its been in the past few years [despite what you think].

You still haven't backed this up yet with any evidence.

If Downs accepts arb, than AA has failed miserably. Not because he has to pay Downs, but because he didn't turn Downs into a return for the future. Instead now has a good middle relief pitcher for a 4th place team next year.

Still trying to understand the problem with taking Downs at $4M over one year. He's still easily tradeable at that price, and if the Jays make a decision to contend this winter, they are a good enough team already that they can conceivably do so.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2010/7 ... #storyjump
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:52 pm

You can keep telling yourself that nothing has changed for the FA market. Not even gonna bother with that. Think that baseball economics have remained constant!

mweir145 wrote:Still trying to understand the problem with taking Downs at $4M over one year. He's still easily tradeable at that price,

Because he could have netted a prospect, that would have been more useful to the Jays in the future than Scott Downs.

Also apparently he wasn't easily tradable at that price for big AA, LOL :-b
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers