viewtopic.php?f=7&t=417543&p=3306405#p3306405

Capps will close, Rausch to the 8th.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Capps traded

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 am

MTUCache wrote:Good lord though... if Ramos pans out, the Nats future could be looking scary bright with Strasburg, Storen, Harper, and Ramos all being on the roster come 2012. Then again, Harper/Ramos could be complete busts too.

the zimmerman(s) never get any love.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:34 am

MTUCache wrote:Then again, Harper/Ramos could be complete busts too.

Not really. Ramos is already MLB ready defensively and he has plenty of room for growth offensively.

They have been shopping Ramos around for a while (like when Cliff Lee was on the market) and the Twins have been linked to Matt Capps before, so they must see him as more than just an above average RP. But yeah, no matter how you look at it this is bad value for a top 5 catching prospect....even though I'm sure a blocked prospect carries considerably less value in trade negotiations. At least they were able to address a need (even though Capps was available for nothing this past offseason).

Seems like they've just been trying really hard to move Ramos this season for whatever reason.
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 am

The Twins are just in love with pitchers with good control. I'd be willing to bet that they have the fewest walks as a pitching staff by a good margin.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Awesome trade for the Nationals. I'm really excited to see what that team can do in a few years.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TDS-MN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Anyone aware of Capps' contract situation? Wondering how long he might be in the mix here in MN.

Interesting move, but I'm not really sure what I think of it yet. . . .
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:24 pm

TDS-MN wrote:Anyone aware of Capps' contract situation? Wondering how long he might be in the mix here in MN.

Interesting move, but I'm not really sure what I think of it yet. . . .

The Twins will have control of him for 2011. The Nats are also paying $500,000 as part of the deal. And he's the type of guy they'd be able to sign to an extension (which couldn't be said for someone like Cliff Lee had they been able to get him).

Capps also gives them a failsafe should Nathan not be able to make it back to his all-star level when he returns.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TDS-MN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. That was sort of what I was wondering about, if he would remain an option if/when they see how Nathan does return.

not that it really matters now, but I wondered, if a Lee or an Oswalt might not have been able to have been signed, if they HAD landed here. Not like the Twins are looked at as a fluke any more, and they have been spending money. I presonally think that them getting out of the 'Dome could have some impact on their attractiveness to players considering a move.
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:40 pm

TDS-MN wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. That was sort of what I was wondering about, if he would remain an option if/when they see how Nathan does return.

not that it really matters now, but I wondered, if a Lee or an Oswalt might not have been able to have been signed, if they HAD landed here. Not like the Twins are looked at as a fluke any more, and they have been spending money. I presonally think that them getting out of the 'Dome could have some impact on their attractiveness to players considering a move.

I think the Twins preference for Capps was that Guerrier/Rauch/Crain are all FA's this offseason and Capps gives the Twins a solid (but unspectacular) setup man or closer in 2011 if Nathan struggles. This could be a major win for the Twins if they can offer Rauch and Guerrier arb provided they turn it down and get comp picks. But that's risky because teams aren't very willing to give up draft picks for average RP'ers like Guerrier and Rauch.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers