Blue Jays trade Wallace for Astros Gose - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blue Jays trade Wallace for Astros Gose

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Blue Jays trade Wallace for Astros Gose

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
mblax10 wrote:Are people willing to admit yet that Brett Wallace has been overrated? Most of his value is based on the idea coming out of college that he'd be an on base machine. Over 800 PA in AAA (almost half while playing in an extreme hitters park), he's sitting on a 6.5% BB rate and a .350 OBP. He probably still makes my top 100, but not by much.

I see more and more people saying he is overrated, and I'm starting to believe them.

It's weird that AA went from Taylor to Wallace to Gose. I'm fine with the Wallace-Gose swap. If they want to bet on tools rather than having a safe-bet, unimpressive 1B, that's fine. But why not go after Gose in the first place? Or better yet, get more in return for Taylor and get more in return for Wallace? Given that the perceived value of Taylor was higher than Wallace's at the time of the trade and that Wallace's value is probably higher than Gose right now, you could get an extra prospect in there. Fantasy Baseball 101.

I'm sure the Jays were not impressed with what Wallace produced in Las Vegas this year and maybe they were hesitant to bring him up with fear of hurting his trade value after he didn't live up to expectations at the Major League level. Gose is a gamble and the Jays will need to gamble a few times in order to compete in the AL East.

They need consecutive royal flushes.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BUCCOFAN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 am

I think this obviously states that Lind will be the teams future 1B when Overbay walks at season's end. AND Snider will slide into the DH role.

2011 - Toronto Blue Jays:
C - JP.Arencibia (torrid pace in AAA)
1B - A.Lind (been practicing @ 1B all second half)
2B - K.Johnson???? (there is talk about acquiring him)
3B - A.Hill (says he would move to 3B?)
SS - Y.Escobar (sweet acquisition by A.A.)
LF - Free Agent Signing?
CF - V.Wells (albatrose of a contract)
RF - J.Bautista (I just don't see them moving him)
DH - T.Snider (groomed to be a DH)
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 am

mweir145 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:So the BJ's essentially traded Michael Taylor for a player similar to him that is 2 or 3 years further behind him in development? :-?

Gose's main value is that he's apparently a defensive whiz in CF. Taylor's defense as a corner OF as been called average at best.

But still, your point carries some validity. It's a weird move.

taylor actually has power potential whereas gose does not. big difference there imo.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:So the BJ's essentially traded Michael Taylor for a player similar to him that is 2 or 3 years further behind him in development? :-?

Gose's main value is that he's apparently a defensive whiz in CF. Taylor's defense as a corner OF as been called average at best.

taylor actually has power potential whereas gose does not. big difference there imo.

Yeah Taylor is teh sex, and Gose is Willy Taveras at best. :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Montana » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 am

AA said that Gose was the only player in the minors under 20 years of age that he had 100% agreement about, from his scouts........they all, to a man, love the kid and think he has tremendous upside.

Also, according to AA.....They tried to get Gose in the Halladay trade in place of Taylor, but the Phillies wouldn't include him..........they tried all spring to land Gose in a separate deal, but couldn't pry him from the Phils.

He also said that for those that simply look at the stats, they won't get the full picture (specifically referencing the 27 CS's).......said the kid's got huge upside that they expect to be a major contributor for them at the major league level down the road, and that they love the kid's swagger and leadership skills along with his physical tools.

Also said he believes he's been slightly rushed by being at A+ ball already......so don't be surprised if the Jays move him down to A ball for a bit. (pure speculation on my part)

I suspect they view Gose as having Desmond Jennings like upside......and felt that they needed to get this kid early, because once he turns the corner as a prospect, his price will grow exponentially.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:50 am

jeeze, knowing how big a hard-on the jays had for gose, i wish we could have swindled them earlier.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gose--001ant

461 PA
36 SB
27 CS
.325 OBP

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!

he is only 19. I'm sure he has plenty of work to do with regards to learning how to read professional pitchers.
The 60 plus attempts is impressive.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Except many scouts believe Gose can still develop power, he's not even 20 yet. To put things in perspective, Taylor wasn't even hitting for any power in the Pac 10 at the same age.

One of the first things the Jays might do with him is try to change his swing to get more balls in the air.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 am

Montana wrote:Also, according to AA.....They tried to get Gose in the Halladay trade in place of Taylor, but the Phillies wouldn't include him..........they tried all spring to land Gose in a separate deal, but couldn't pry him from the Phils.

Interesting. This means that both the Jays and Phillies believed Gose was a better prospect than Taylor and Wallace (two top 25 BA guys from last year).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

See, the problem with scouting defensive players is that you never know what scouts are looking at. Remember what kind of players win Gold Gloves every year. People call Torii Hunter a defensive whiz but UZR and TZ say they're just average.

being from minnesota and watching Torii every day in his defensive heyday, I can tell you Torii Hunter is a defensive whiz in center field. he may not come up on a ball like andrew jones does, but I don't think I've ever seen someone go back on balls and also play the wall as wall as well as Torii did. UZR don't me sh*t if it says Torii Hunter was an average centerfielder.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers