Oswalt ---> Phillies (Confirmed) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oswalt ---> Phillies (Confirmed)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oswalt Possibly ---> Phillies (Pending)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 am

LloydChristmas wrote:This won't include Jayson Werth. My guess is Happ, Jon Singleton, and a nobody prospect and the Astros pick up $10-12 million.

Edit: It appears the "nobody prospect" could be right-handed pitcher Vance Worley.

Pretty sure he meant trading Werth in a separate deal, to recoup prospects lost in an Oswalt deal ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:22 am

nsulham wrote:
LloydChristmas wrote:This won't include Jayson Werth. My guess is Happ, Jon Singleton, and a nobody prospect and the Astros pick up $10-12 million.

Edit: It appears the "nobody prospect" could be right-handed pitcher Vance Worley.

Pretty sure he meant trading Werth in a separate deal, to recoup prospects lost in an Oswalt deal ;-D

Ah, I see. Intuitively though, I don't like the idea of making a deal for Oswalt, improving the rotation for a playoff push then subsequently trading your most productive hitter in terms of OPS and wOBA. In what year is Ruben Amaro trying to win? I completely understand trading expiring stars for prospects if the season is in the can, but that isn't the case here.
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 am

I like it for the Phillies. They are obviously in "win-now" mode, with Utley & Howard in their prime for the next few years, and have positioned themselves as favorites for the NLCS for the next several years with a playoff rotation of Halladay, Hamels, and Oswalt. Happ was decent last year, but he was playing over his head and doesn't project to be a #1 starter.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jsphlly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

Shoulda kept Lee... :~(
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 am

jsphlly wrote:Shoulda kept Lee... :~(

No...they got Halladay, which is just as good, so regardless, they'd be going after Oswalt.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:58 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

No...they got Halladay, which is just as good, so regardless, they'd be going after Oswalt.

Halladay/Lee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halladay/Oswalt - the reasons given for trading Lee were money and replenishing the farm system. And Oswalt costs more money and the rumored prospects are better.

But most of the backlash now is on how horrible the Lee trade was. We don't how much money the Astros are sending and we don't know for sure what prospects are included. But this might not be a horrible deal (if you aren't using Lee in the equation). I would love it if my team had Oswalt for around 10M/yr for 2.5 seasons. However I am also very impressed with Singleton though.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:00 pm

This issue has been brought up ad nauseam on Philly sports talk radio shows. The main reason that it's easy to say that the Phillies should have kept Lee is that the prospects they got back haven't been doing especially well (though they all are only 21 years old). There's also the reasoning that if the Phillies are willing to pay most of Oswalt's $16 mil salary, why wouldn't they keep and re-sign Lee at $9 for this year?
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:06 pm

kab21 wrote:

Halladay/Lee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halladay/Oswalt - the reasons given for trading Lee were money and replenishing the farm system. And Oswalt costs more money and the rumored prospects are better.

But most of the backlash now is on how horrible the Lee trade was. We don't how much money the Astros are sending and we don't know for sure what prospects are included. But this might not be a horrible deal (if you aren't using Lee in the equation). I would love it if my team had Oswalt for around 10M/yr for 2.5 seasons. However I am also very impressed with Singleton though.

Halladay/Lee was never an option. They gave up Lee to get Halladay. And even if they did osmehow manage that, then Lee would be gone after this season, because he would cost way too much to resign.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:08 pm

kab21 wrote:

Halladay/Lee was never an option. They gave up Lee to get Halladay. And even if they did osmehow manage that, then Lee would be gone after this season, because he would cost way too much to resign.

Why do you say they gave up Lee to get Halladay?
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby smoovethug » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 pm

I like this for the Phils. Halladay / Cole / Oswalt is lovely in a short series. I've got no problem shipping Happ or Worley as they probably won't pan out to be anything more than middle of the rotation guys. I've heard that Houston could be eating ~half of Oswalt's remaining money, definitely makes it go down easier. And yes, they should have kept Cliff Lee.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers