Rumor Mill - Prince to Texas? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor Mill - Prince to Texas?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rumor Mill - Prince to Texas?

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Through the grapevine, I heard that Prince could end up in Texas. I text'd a friend of mine in Wisconsin who's a die-hard Brewer fan and said he doesn't think Prince will be traded until the winter meetings.

Prince in Texas? :-L I've been shopping him around in my keeper league, but I may have to sit on my hands for a bit to see if anything develops.
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rumor Mill - Prince to Texas?

Postby thejusman1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, Prince in Texas would be my wet dream as I am an owner of him in a long-term keeper league, but I don't know how feasible that is. The Rangers will have to give up the entire farm in order to not eat his remaining $4 million in salary this year, and seeing as how they are without an owner and unable to take on a contract that large, this deal doesn't seem like it could work.

But if they pull it off... damn.

Andrus
Young
Kinsler
Vlad
Hamilton
Fielder
Cruz
Molina
Borbon

Absolutely ridiculous.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Yeah, Prince in Texas would be my wet dream as I am an owner of him in a long-term keeper league, but I don't know how feasible that is. The Rangers will have to give up the entire farm in order to not eat his remaining $4 million in salary this year, and seeing as how they are without an owner and unable to take on a contract that large, this deal doesn't seem like it could work.

Andrus
Young
Kinsler
Vlad
Hamilton
Fielder
Cruz
Molina
Borbon

Absolutely ridiculous.

Move Vlad up to third, Cruz up to sixth and slide Prince into the cleanup slot. Put Kinsler in the seventh slot and omg
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:20 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Yeah, Prince in Texas would be my wet dream as I am an owner of him in a long-term keeper league, but I don't know how feasible that is. The Rangers will have to give up the entire farm in order to not eat his remaining $4 million in salary this year, and seeing as how they are without an owner and unable to take on a contract that large, this deal doesn't seem like it could work.

Andrus
Young
Kinsler
Vlad
Hamilton
Fielder
Cruz
Molina
Borbon

Absolutely ridiculous.

Two leadoff men and six #3 hitters? Can I get a :-L?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 pm

chargerss24 wrote:Prince in Texas? :-L I've been shopping him around in my keeper league, but I may have to sit on my hands for a bit to see if anything develops.

Money wise I don't see how this could possibly work beyond 2010. The Rangers (only) have a $65 million 2010 payroll but thanks to Tom Hicks they're in horrible shape financially. And Fielder's represented by Scott Boras and hasn't gotten that big contract yet in his career.

It wasn't that long ago that the Rangers had to actually come forward and ask the MLB for money because they couldn't meet payroll. I doubt the MLB has forgotten about that yet. The team goes up for auction Aug. 4 so there's another question mark. And new management isn't going to change the fact that they're operating at a loss and will be for the near future. Most owners wouldn't want to add to that with another big contract.

Yes, this would make sense for a playoff run and would probably help Fielders' fantasy value a bit but I don't see how this could be anything more than a rental.
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:

Andrus
Young
Kinsler
Vlad
Hamilton
Fielder
Cruz
Molina
Borbon

Absolutely ridiculous.

Two leadoff men and six #3 hitters? Can I get a :-L?

:-L ;-D
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 pm

I find it VERY hard to believe that prince will go to texas. They will have to give up yet another elite prospect for a guy that can walk after this yr. Not to mention the ownership of the team is in transition so throwing out all these prospects for rentals seems like a very, very dumb move. Even if Texas got Prince, I'm still not convinced they are any better than the Yanks/Rays/Sox, one of which they will most likely play in the 1st round, and would most likely have to get through the other one in the 2nd round. Looks good on paper for texas, but I think it would be a terrible move unless they pull a deal like the Angels got Haren for but I don't see that happening.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah, going to Texas for Fielder owners is more than likely a pipe dream, but we can dream can't we? :-L

Anywho, rumors are flying he's on the block and according to my friend in Wisconsin, it sounds he will be traded, but more than likely it will be during the winter meetings. Where to is anyone's guess.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 am

OMG :-L please?!?!?!?!?1 :-L
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:41 am

Montana168 wrote:I find it VERY hard to believe that prince will go to texas. They will have to give up yet another elite prospect for a guy that can walk after this yr. Not to mention the ownership of the team is in transition so throwing out all these prospects for rentals seems like a very, very dumb move. Even if Texas got Prince, I'm still not convinced they are any better than the Yanks/Rays/Sox, one of which they will most likely play in the 1st round, and would most likely have to get through the other one in the 2nd round. Looks good on paper for texas, but I think it would be a terrible move unless they pull a deal like the Angels got Haren for but I don't see that happening.

Might I ask why you think the Rangers aren't any better than the Yanks/Rays/Sox? Their lineup is better, their pitching is better, their defense is better, and their bullpen is better when all of these things are looked at as a whole, so why aren't they better?

As to the thread topic, it's a great thing to think about but I don't see it happening given the financial situation. I think Texas is content (not happy, but will make it work) with Chris Davis at 1b over the rest of the season largely due to his defense. If his bat comes around that's just the icing on the cake, but as long as he plays well defensively, the rest of the lineup can carry the offensive load. Realistically they have only 3 poor hitters in Davis, Borbon, and Molina. I expect David Murphy to steal more and more playing time from Borbon as time goes on, and especially in the playoffs so they can use Borbon as a pinch runner. When that happens, their lineup gets even better.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers