If you ran a current MLB team, who would you keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If you ran a current MLB team, who would you keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: If you ran a current MLB team, who would you keep?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:53 am

bobopal wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
bobopal wrote:As a Met fan its between Reyes and Wright because they are the 2 Mets that weren't ridiculous overpayed for. But I have to go with Wright because less injury concerns.

just because a player got injured one season in his career doesn't mean he has injury concerns. look at games played and at-bats every other year, Reyes has always been one of the most durable players in baseball.

You obviously didn't follow the Mets a few years ago because Reyes has been injury plagued since he was in the minors and it finally caught up to him. Plus Wright has had the more consistent career besides last years mess.

So would you keep Wright over Reyes then?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:04 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
bobopal wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

just because a player got injured one season in his career doesn't mean he has injury concerns. look at games played and at-bats every other year, Reyes has always been one of the most durable players in baseball.

You obviously didn't follow the Mets a few years ago because Reyes has been injury plagued since he was in the minors and it finally caught up to him. Plus Wright has had the more consistent career besides last years mess.

So would you keep Wright over Reyes then?

Easily. I don't even think it's really a decision. No way in a million years would Reyes be the one I kept.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:20 am

thejusman1 wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

:-? You sure?

well, not exactly.. but it's long and it's not Yankee money..

Funny, an 8-year, $184 million contract is exactly what I think of when I think Yankee money.

Catchers that hit like Mauer are about the most rare thing in baseball, (well, were when he signed.. now the whole santana, posey thing has altered that a bit.) add to that that Mauer is about as good defensively as it gets.

I bet in free agency he gets 4 years for $100M. and then probably signs a bigger contract after that. As long as he keeps growing as a player, that will look like a serious bargain in 8 years. Free Agency money goes up every year, the most valuable thing about this contract is the 8 years. Mauer is locked up for life for a relitively reasonable price.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby bballislife17 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Mauer's contract was in-line with or well above what the market would have been for him.

Comparing his contract to Longoria's is silly.

Longoria will get 11 million as a 31 year old in his prime.

Chances are Mauer won't even be catching towards the end of his contract. Why pay a 35 year old catcher who won't hit 25 HRs or drive in 100 runs 20+ million a year?
bballislife17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cs3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:01 am

I think the Giants would be in a really tough situation.
Do you keep the face of the franchise, and 2 time Cy Young award winner?
or the kid who plays the toughest position in baseball, has been the best hitter in the league since his recall 2 months ago and will be dirt cheap for 5+ more seasons?

and that doesnt even take into account 2 other young, cheap, potentially dominating players in Cain and Pablo
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:40 am

cs3 wrote:I think the Giants would be in a really tough situation.
or the kid who plays the toughest position in baseball, has been the best hitter in the league since his recall 2 months ago and will be dirt cheap for 5+ more seasons?

and that doesnt even take into account 2 other young, cheap, potentially dominating players in Cain and Pablo

I like Posey and all, but I can't see passing on Lincecum.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:11 am

wrveres wrote:
cs3 wrote:I think the Giants would be in a really tough situation.

I like Posey and all, but I can't see passing on Lincecum.

Yeah, definitely a tough call. I guess the question, outside of money, comes down to, "who do you want to build the team around?" I'd have a really hard time passing on Lincecum unless I had a good idea that I could redraft another top notch starter who is cost-controlled...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:02 pm

Red Sox: This is tough. Do they keep the guy who might win the Cy Young? Or do they keep the young slick fielding middle infielder who has already won the MVP?

Lester is a great great pitcher and a southpaw.

Pedroia is a very good fielder, plays a premium position, can hit, and can run.

It just comes down to hitter vs. pitcher. Despite the fact Pedroia is hurt, the hitter is less of a risk in the long run. I keep Pedroia.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Padres:

I want to say Adrian Gonzalez, but only if part of the deal is ensuring he stays in San Diego via a new contract.

Otherwise, Mat Latos.

Gonzo is the only player in Petco History who had proven he can hit for consistent power (yes I know he has significant home/away splits). He still has the best stats of any hitter in Petco history.

Latos is a beast, helped by a pitcher friendly park, and should put up some crazy numbers in the next few years, but I keep hitting over pitching.
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Guaranteed Loser wrote:Padres:

I want to say Adrian Gonzalez, but only if part of the deal is ensuring he stays in San Diego via a new contract.

Otherwise, Mat Latos.

Gonzo is the only player in Petco History who had proven he can hit for consistent power (yes I know he has significant home/away splits). He still has the best stats of any hitter in Petco history.

Latos is a beast, helped by a pitcher friendly park, and should put up some crazy numbers in the next few years, but I keep hitting over pitching.

I take Latos regardless of Gonzo's contract stuff. Don't underestimate the value of a strong #1 pitcher, especially as compared to fantasy.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers