ESPN's Player Pool - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN's Player Pool

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN's Player Pool

Postby ctt8410 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:50 pm

A question for those who have past experience with leagues at ESPN.com, how many of the top prospects will be added to the database by the end of the season? For example, Michael Pineda was added Friday night even though he has yet to be called up by the Mariners. ESPN's response was "Micahel Pineda was not projected to progress this far due to injuries. We decided to add him due to multiple fan requests." They haven't been very helpful beyond that mostly just reciting that they have a rule of thumb to only add players 24 hours after making their MLB debut. Can we expect other top prospects like Martin Perez or Bryce Harper to be added by the end of the season or is this not common? It may not affect standard leagues, but we've got a 20-team 24-keeper league where someone would blow their entire FAAB budget on a player like this.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN's Player Pool

Postby anti elian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:31 am

I would expect to see Bryce Harper, Machado, and anyone else of interest from this year's draft added once (if) they sign contracts with their clubs. Last year they added Strasburg and a few others when they signed.

As for Perez, I don't know. One would think he would already be in the system, but if he doesn't make the club or at least make noise about a September call-up then they don't have any reason to add him. But who knows with ESPN, they're maddeningly inconsistent. Their company line is that if they're projected to make the opening day roster they'll be in the database, if not, they'll be added the day after their first appearance. But then you see that Mike Trout is in the system for some reason and they break their policy for Pineda and it's like the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing over at ESPN. I had a bad experience of watching Andrew Bailey start the year with SP eligibility only to watch it get taken away (after keeping him over Choo and Strasburg) and having been one of the people to inquire about Pineda, I'm done with ESPN after this season.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Re: ESPN's Player Pool

Postby ctt8410 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks, that sounds about right. Customer support kept confusing Pineda for Kenley Jansen the other day and just repeated some line about changing him from C eligibility to RP as to why I couldn't find Pineda before Friday.

ESPN likes to blame MLB for any inconsistencies as they claim that they're sent a "list" of players to include, but is it that difficult to include all of the consensus top 50 prospects? They certainly can't claim that Shelby Miller had any better chance of making it to the big leagues this year than Martin Perez or Julio Teheran or any of the other teenage prospects. We're likely stuck with ESPN in my league for the time-being, but we'll likely have to change some of the rules on keepers going forward.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers