My prospect draft, how'd I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

My prospect draft, how'd I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My prospect draft, how'd I do?

Postby bananaphone » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

20 team league, no snake. I ended up with the 15th pick each round.

Here's what I got:
Anthony Ranaudo SP BOS
A.J. Cole SP WAS
Jedd Gyorko 3B SD
Micah Gibbs C CHC
Jesse Hahn SP TB
Derek Dietrich 3B TB
Cody Stanley C STL
Bryan Morgado SP PHI

Wondering if you guys have any insight, projections, info, what have you on these guys. I know that Hahn has an injury, as well as Cole is probably not going to sign (not a huge problem since I can keep him anyhow).

Any insight would be awesome. Also if anybody has info about Kendrick Perkins and what sport he's gonna play, that'd be cool too.

Thanks in advance,
BP
bananaphone
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My prospect draft, how'd I do?

Postby mblax10 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Here's where I ranked them in the class. All rankings at this point assume everybody signs. So you can slot everybody up a couple slots because Zach Lee (5), Austin Wilson (12), Kyle Parker (17) & some others probably won't sign. I didn't spend a lot of time on guys from about 60-118. Anybody past 118 I felt is just another guy at this point.

20. Anthony Ranaudo SP BOS-Good risk/reward. Upside is well above a lot of the guys I have ahead of him. If the SEC tournament was a sign that he's healthy again, he can move up this list and through the minors quickly.
16. A.J. Cole SP WAS-One of my favorite HS arms. 1st round talent with 7 figure bonus demands. Falls a good amount if he goes to college. My league has a similar setup and I don't like waiting 2 or 3 years for a guy to be drafted by an MLB team again.
19. Jedd Gyorko 3B SD-Absolutely mashing as a pro. Polished college hitter without a defensive home. Want to see some defensive scouting reports before moving him up more.
37. Micah Gibbs C CHC-Good value for you and the Cubs. Good defensive C who hit a good deal in college.
42. Jesse Hahn SP TB-I moved him down a good amount because of the injury. Still waiting on more info.
62. Derek Dietrich 3B TB-More upside. Lots of talent, pretty disappointing college career.
100. Cody Stanley C STL-Another good defensive C.
NR. Bryan Morgado SP PHI-Big arm with not much else. If I'm going for those type of guys, I prefer high schoolers because there's more time to develop secondary pitches and control.

I thought Perkins had given up football to play college baseball. All I have on him is he's a huge athlete and wants tons of money to sign.

4 picks in the first 60 and you ended up with 6 guys in my top 62. I'd say you did well. Do a lot of people in your league just take the highest guy selected in real life? Where did Zach Lee go? You said you can keep somebody like Cole for his college time. Somebody like Lee has a bigger risk because he could go to the NFL. Also is one of the most talented in the draft.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: My prospect draft, how'd I do?

Postby bananaphone » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:03 am

Zach Lee went 25th overall (5th pick in the second round).

As far as the draft goes, some teams just ended up getting autopicked, so they got the top guy on the list, other teams put in the time and drafted. It was kind of a mix.

I wasn't able to find anything definite about Perkins. I can't pick him up until he gets signed to the Red Sox, but I was wondering if that was at all likely. I'm sure Boston can pay him what he wants, and at that point I think I want to claim him. He was not drafted.

The thing with keeping guys if they go to college works like this. We did a 5 round draft, and if you ended up drafting a guy you can hold him. Otherwise if they went undrafted, they need to have signed with a major league team to be a waiver guy.

Dietrich, Stanley and Morgado were claims.
bananaphone
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball