Keeper Leagues Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Keeper Leagues Question

Keeper Leagues Question

Postby bobnerns » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am

I'm playing my second year of fantasy baseball. Last year, our league was 5x5 roto and got pretty boring and uncompetitive during the summer. To change that, we're doing H2H most categories this year. Both years, we've had new snake drafts, but for next season, I want to try out keepers.

I've read posts here about a ton of different keeper leagues and settings. Since I've never experimented with them, I don't know a whole lot. My question here is what sites offer what forms of keeper leagues?

We play on ESPN, which is great. I've never looked at fantasy baseball on any other site.

I would assume the basic keeper league is there is a set number of players you select to keep for next season, they are excluded from the draft and everything else goes as it normally would.

But I've heard someone say they play in a league where players are assigned their draft round value (say round 10) and that's the draft pick he will cost to keep for the next season.

Also I've read about people having minor league squads.

So could someone either explain different keeper settings or point me to a page that will. And also what sites provide these different forms.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Leagues Question

Postby BUCCOFAN » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:08 am

We have had a successful keeper (dynasty league) going with contracts (players get 3 year deals) by using CBS Sportsline. However its an auction league, I still believe that they give you many options for changing draft formats, and having live drafts. HOWEVER there is a $Cost$ related to the site.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby twistedude » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 am

I'm on my 5th year of commishing a keeper league on yahoo. We run a fairly simple system....roto 5x5 with 14 teams....$25 buy in...and we keep 5 players at the cost of their round values. Here are the basic keeper rules:

-Each team keeps 5 players

-Players are kept according to the round they were drafted in the previous year. ie. if i drafted a player in the 10th round this year, he'll count as a 10th rounder next year if kept.

-After a player is kept one season, their round value increases for each subsequent year they are kept (+1 increase for 2-10th rounders, +2 rounds for 11th-19th rounders, and +3 for 20+ rounders). First year keepers are not subject to the +1+2+3 rule.

-Free agents can be kept at the cost of the final round in the draft (24th round).

-In cases of round value ties, the second player takes the next available draft slot (ie. if I want to keep two 9th rounders, one slides into the 10th slot with no penalty)

That's pretty much it. Everything has usually run very smoothly under this system. I prefer working without salaries and contracts - that just makes it too complicated for my taste. I read your PM - sometimes our league will have a dropout so if you're an active manager and would like to get on a waitlist to join this keeper league you can send me a note and we'll discuss.
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bobnerns » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the info so far. Does anyone know what ESPN offers (on the free settings)?
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acertijo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:49 am

ESPN is very customizable and you should be able to do nearly anything you want. It also has good customer support if you have questions.

As for the advantages and disadvantages of different set ups, I'd suggest going back into the ESPN archives and looking at this past year's draft kit. I believe they have quite a bit of info in there about different set ups and formats.

Thanks for the response on mine.
acertijo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby williscubs » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:16 am

ESPN is very good for the simple keeper leagues. For example, in my league we get 20 keepers. However, if you choose to keep 18 guys you get a 19th round pick while everybody else uses that pick on a keeper. Beyond that I'm not sure exactly what else you can do on ESPN but it is free and they have most of the good prospects in the system.
williscubs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rhinochasers » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:45 pm

I have always been in a league where there is no penalty for keepers. I.E. I have owned Miggy Cabrera since his rookie year. Just from exp I think I would go with some kind of contracts or limit years just so everyone has a chance to get any player.
Rhinochasers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KJROD20 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 pm

I was thinking about starting my own keeper league as well. I want to have it with player contracts, so you can't keep the player for his entire career but I don't want all of the best players recycled around at the same time when the contracts are up. anybody have suggestions? without it becoming an auction draft.
KJROD20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ziguana » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 pm

I've been in a Yahoo fantasy baseball keeper league for years now. Here's the way that we do it:

16 categories (half pitching and half hitting). We use mostly standard cats (R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, TB, AVG, SLG, IP, W, L, SV, HLD, K/9, ERA, WHIP)
Each year each team keeps 8 players of their choosing.
Those players are drafted in the managers first 8 slots the next year (which we setup before the draft on Yahoos draft settings page).
Then we draft like normal but the order of the draft is determined by how the teams finished the year before. The last place team gets first pick and the championship team gets the last pick.

There are a couple of other little details but I won't bore you with them. Good luck with your league!
ziguana
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Beginner's Forum