Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:On behalf of everyone in Chicago that doesn't hate the White Sox, Mike Rizzo is a huge bitch.

Because he wouldn't give you Dunn for Jackson straight up? I'm not sure what Kenny was offering but I do know the Nats love Dunn and would prefer to get him extended, as is his preference too. Rizzo would have had to been blown away and I can't really blame him.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:18 pm

If the Whitesox only got Jackson to flip for Dunn why didn't they just make a 3 team trade so they wouldn't be at risk of being stuck with Jackson if they in fact don't really want him?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:25 pm

If Kenny saw the reports of the Nats being interested in Jackson and took from that the idea they could get Jackson and then deal him straight up for Dunn then I don't know how else to say it but he whiffed. Washington had interest in Jackson if the prospect package was right. There's NO WAY Chicago was getting Dunn for Jackson straight up.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:29 pm

Speaking of Kenny, I read a bit earlier in the day that he was trying to get Manny but the Dodgers wanted Dayan Viciedo so Kenny turned them down. Say what you will about him but he sure does work the phones.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kab21 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
Sorry bro, you whiffed big time. Trading for Relievers, is not the same as signing Type A free agents. Lol. No matter how you slice it. I appreciate the effort.

My point stands. The market for FA Type A Middlerelievers is bleek.

Sure, Downs could get more than 4 million, but why would a team pay big bucks, and their first round pick. If your not a big time closer, its very risky to decline arbitration, and try to acquire a desirable contract with the Type A designation.

You're both right and you're both wrong.

The only thing that the Jays (and the Twins for example with Guerrier and rauch) shouldn't count on is getting comp picks if they offer their good but not great RP'ers arb. But getting any of these guys on a one year arb deal isn't the end of the world if they accept arb. 4M for one season isn't horrible and there's a good chance that they can rather easily move them in the worst case.

But this doesn't mean that Jays should be asking for the moon with Downs or their otherRP's.

I also think it's laughable to say that the RP'er FA market hasn't changed in the last 2 years. The entire economic situation in baseball has changed and it has affected the entire FA market. Especially for aging, average players.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:31 am

kab21 wrote:I also think it's laughable to say that the RP'er FA market hasn't changed in the last 2 years. The entire economic situation in baseball has changed and it has affected the entire FA market. Especially for aging, average players.

Mweir thinks that because Scott Downs is good he automatically nets AA two draft picks.
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: This thread costs 10 cents to read

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:38 am

B-Chad wrote:I see little has changed since I've begun posting less here. DaShiz is still a Yankees homer who makes wild declaritive statements based entirely on his point of view with little (and by little I mean zero) evidence supporting his case. Oh well.

Wow, shocked you would come take a hit on me. After writing incredibly false novels of predictions after predictions in the Preseason 2B thread, how can you possibly take hits on me?
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:47 am

kab21 wrote:I also think it's laughable to say that the RP'er FA market hasn't changed in the last 2 years. The entire economic situation in baseball has changed and it has affected the entire FA market. Especially for aging, average players.

mweir145 wrote:Yep, and I haven't seen any sign that it's changed from previous years.

:-b^2
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:32 am

DaSh 1s wrote: :-b^2

You have ignored every single valid argument I've made in this thread and have yet to provide explanations for any of the ridiculous things you've said (including and most especially why the market has somehow changed from previous years when GMs have even rationalized paying draft picks and major contracts for mediocre relievers like Brandon Lyon, Juan Cruz, and Scott Linebrink).

DaSh 1s wrote: Mweir thinks that because Scott Downs is good he automatically nets AA two draft picks.

You also seem to enjoy building straw men. I think he *may* net the Jays 2 draft picks because because he's 34 and will want to cash in on a market that routinely overpays for relievers. If he takes arbitration, however, $4M isn't much of a price to pay to keep a quality left-hander around (at which point they can also trade him then if they have no plans of contention next year).

In the end, the Jays weren't going to help the Yankees or Red Sox by making a trade where they lost value just for the sake of making a trade.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 am

And I almost forgot my Casey Kelly question that you ignored:

One more thing, I've also been meaning to ask you about your ridiculous sig. Are you really trying to suggest Casey Kelly has somehow regressed as a prospect because he has a mediocre ERA as a 20 year old in AA? Or are you just one of those obnoxious Yankees fans who is ignorant and dreadfully unaware about anything outside of your home team?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers