Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where

Postby rotoquest » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:39 pm

So far names like Haren, Oswalt, Dunn, Soria, M Gonzalez, Hart & Werth are on fire for trade talks, but who actually is going to pull the trigger and benefit the most, and who lands where during the next week? Thoughts?
Last edited by rotoquest on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Deadline 7/31: Who Moves & Where

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:43 pm

I don't know if it will happen, but Boston could really use Scott Downs.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby rotoquest » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Haren to the angels is the 1st big name to go this week.
ROTOWORLD
Yes. Saunders, P. Corbin, R. Rodriguez, plus a PTBNL to #DBacks for Dan Haren.
This is a steal for the Angels, who effectively answered Texas' acquisition of Cliff Lee at a very reasonable price. Haren hasn't been at his best in posting a 4.60 ERA in 141 innings this year, but he's fanned a National League-leading 141 batters and was 73-52 with a 3.48 ERA from 2005 through last year. He has $33 million remaining on his contract which runs through 2012 and will lead the Angels' rotation until that point. Saunders is 6-10 with a 4.62 ERA this season and owns a 4.29 career ERA over 692 innings. The player to be named, meanwhile, will come from a list that reportedly does not include top prospect Mike Trout's name.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:46 pm

FWIW I've been hearing, particularly ESPN, Ted Lilly in talks to Detroit. Leyland says he hasn't heard anything about this, but would have to think that if the Tigers are trying to do something this year, and they are also bigger takers on big contracts over the years, that Lilly could be a great fit for them.

Have heard that Gorzelanny has also drawn much interest from other squads.

Also Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has been tweeting about a possible deal between the Mets and Royals consisting of: Gil Meche, Kyle Farnsworth and Jose Guillen for Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo, and Jeff Francoeur. Could make some sense, Meche and Perez's contracts are identical, Farnsworth (as long as he doesn't opt out) and Francoeur's are also pretty much identical.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:19 pm

bazzy_51 wrote: Meche and Perez's contracts are identical

But it would be a epic downgrade in terms of talent.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HighHeater » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:43 pm

can someone please explain to me why on earth anyone would want Oliver Perez in a trade? please help me figure this out?
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby rotoquest » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:13 pm

SUNDAY, 9:04pm: The Rangers are in "ongoing conversations" with the Marlins regarding Cantu, tweets Rosenthal. He adds that the Marlins are also talking to the Rockies and Giants about the infielder, while Texas remains interested in Wigginton.

2:56pm: Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Rangers are also very interested in Ty Wigginton. Texas sent three scouts to watch Wigginton on Friday night when the Orioles faced off against the Twins.

Like Cantu, Wigginton is a free agent after the season. He's earning $3.5MM in 2010, and has $1.35MM of that left coming to him. Wigginton's lower price tag, versatility, and superior production may make him a more attractive option than Cantu. His OPS checks in at .771 compared to Cantu's .721.

Can't determine though which one is a better fit, but In that ballpark & lineup, either one's fantasy value goes up drastically.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am

rotoquest wrote:
SUNDAY, 9:04pm: The Rangers are in "ongoing conversations" with the Marlins regarding Cantu, tweets Rosenthal. He adds that the Marlins are also talking to the Rockies and Giants about the infielder, while Texas remains interested in Wigginton.

2:56pm: Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Rangers are also very interested in Ty Wigginton. Texas sent three scouts to watch Wigginton on Friday night when the Orioles faced off against the Twins.

Like Cantu, Wigginton is a free agent after the season. He's earning $3.5MM in 2010, and has $1.35MM of that left coming to him. Wigginton's lower price tag, versatility, and superior production may make him a more attractive option than Cantu. His OPS checks in at .771 compared to Cantu's .721.

Can't determine though which one is a better fit, but In that ballpark & lineup, either one's fantasy value goes up drastically.

I don't think either guy will be a full time player in Texas. They will likely platoon at 1b with Davis against LHPs, and pick up a start or two at the other infield positions but that's about it. Andrus, Young, and Kinsler are everyday players.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 pm

HighHeater wrote:can someone please explain to me why on earth anyone would want Oliver Perez in a trade? please help me figure this out?

Because the Royals would be giving back Meche. As hard as it is to think, the Royals would probably end up winning that in a straight up exchange. Both have awful contracts over this season and next, both have 2 or 3 average or above seasons on their resume, and both have been injury plagued over the last couple of seasons. The "remote" upside with Perez is that he is 3 years younger, his injuries have been knee related (Meche's have been arm related), and comparing their good seasons Perez has the periphs that would lean towards him as being the more successful pitcher. If I were to be stuck paying one $12m+ next season I would rather take my chances with Perez.

As much as I get sick seeing Guillen in the lineup everyday, the Royals would definitely lose out swapping him for Frenchy and swapping Farnsworth for Castillo would be frustrating since Castillo is just basically another version of Getz that is $6m more expensive while Farnsworth has actually started to become valuable in the bullpen.

I could see Frenchy making his way here in some sort of deal, but I really doubt all 6 players move in a package.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Soria to the Yanks is something I definitely see happening. I doubt the deal will revolve around Montero, but more likely around Gardner. Possibly something along the lines of Gardner and Rommine. Possibly put Guillen in the deal and pull out a low level prospect.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers