Better fantasy this year Guerrero or Beltran? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better fantasy this year Guerrero or Beltran?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Manutd016 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:46 pm

somehow i managed to get them both. But i gotta say Vlad, better avg, hr, rbi. Unless you really need SB I think Vlad is pick
--------------> PANSY!

I'm the artist formely known as Manutd016
Manutd016
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:48 pm

Vlad is my choice.. with .330+ Average potential it's a non-issue in my book..

You can always pick up SB's in FA...You'll never pick up .330+ Average guy...

I think BA is highly underratted.. Many players get similar stats, but very few can win a batting title.. That is why I value guys who can get all the obvious production (HR's,Runs,Rbis) and have High Batting Averages.. But this is just my thinking... You can't go wrong with Beltran or Vladdy...it's WIN, WIN!!! ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Melo255 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:03 pm

Wow, half an hour and 11 responses, big time thanks. I've got Castillo Rolen Furcal and Carlos Lee starting and Kaz and Winn on the Bench they contribute decently for steals and my power numbers aren't really that great with Giambi Edmonds Posada and Lee my only guys over 30 HR last year with Rolen Beltran and hopefully Lecroy being close to that number. The crap part about all this is that the draft was a month ago and Vlad didn't even get taken until the 18th overall pick, I picked up Beltran and Prior with my first 2 with my 8th out of 10 position. Sounded good at the time but I ended up with ridiculously good pitching anyway and would much rather have Vlad than Prior but hindsight is...
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:08 pm

I'd go with Vlad. Big edge in HR, Avg, and RBI. Edge in runs (IMO). Beltran will steal more bases. Probably 20-25 more. Draft Vlad, and get additional SB elsewhere.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jbuk » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:23 pm

I'd also go with Vlad, but not by a lot. Given your speed though, seems like a good move.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:16 pm

If you're a roto buff who likes to incorporate stolen bases into your lineup without having to use guys like Crawford and Alex Sanchez, then you'll go for Beltran. But if you really don't give a shizz about that one category, steals, and prefer monster power numbers, then Vlad is your main man ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:51 pm

HollywoodHershiserz wrote:
blankman wrote:Vlad slightly- better avg hr rbi and runs, makes up for the SB in my mind. In my overall rankings I have Vlad at 4 and Beltran at 5, so it is very close.

so you'd take them both over Helton?? why?

I also have Vlad at 4 and Beltran at 5. And no, I don't have them both rated higher than Helton. Helton is #3. Beltran and Vlad are both 5 category players. Soriano is 4 categories at best, and I think he's due for a fall.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Leber » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:55 pm

what about in a points league where single -1
double -2
triple-3
hr-4
rbi-1
run-1
sb-2

i think in this point scoring vlad will be a stud...what do you guys think?
Leber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sevillano » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:13 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:I also have Vlad at 4 and Beltran at 5. And no, I don't have them both rated higher than Helton. Helton is #3. Beltran and Vlad are both 5 category players. Soriano is 4 categories at best, and I think he's due for a fall.

I agree that Vlad should be taken ahead of Soriano. Before last year he was the sure fire offensive pick behind ARod. Back injuries are usually something to avoid, but Vlad came back and tore the cover off of the ball.

Now he's out of that terrible stadium in Montreal and into a better lineup in the AL. I love both Soriano and especially Beltran, and enjoyed both of them on my team last year, but Vladdy is just unreal. The guy's a cyborg the way he dominates the game (a freeswinging, no-batting-glove-wearing, .330 hitting, bomb-dropping machine). And there's still and outside chance he steals a respectable amount of bases this season. I would be more than happy with 20. Helton also looks great this year, but IMHO Vladdy's a solid 3rd pick.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:39 pm

Vlad over Soriano? I don't know about that. I'm not convinced Vlad is the man he was, but I'd say he's probably a top 5 pick. I would take Vlad over Helton. There you are sacrificing about 30 points in BA in exchange for probably 20 steals. Not to mention the fact that Vlad could produce career numbers in the AL where he can DH, and he will play many games at the Ballpark in Arlington against terrible Ranger pitching.

However, I would take Soriano over Vlad, and possibly even Beltran over him as well. Kansas City is a hitters park, and even if they fall out of the race early, I think Beltran will be traded to a contender to avoid losing him to free agency, giving him even more motivation to perform well even at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beltran in a Red Sox uniform by the end of the year, he'd be a perfect fit. Factor in Vlad's injury risk and the health of Beltran, and you have a tough decision. As stated before, I guess it just comes down to if you want Beltrans speed or Vlad's power and average.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers