The Urge...how to fight it - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Urge...how to fight it

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Urge...how to fight it

Postby kab21 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:30 am

JMB05 wrote:
I won't lie, I haven't been bit my the injury bug like most years (yet :-o ) but this is by far the most fruitful season I've had in many years.

I won't lie, I've been hit by the Pabloby Monbury bug. One of my least fruitful years.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:01 am

Yeah, I scour the waivers wires constantly for the next big thing.

As mentioned by the OP Travis Snyder is the next guy I want on my roster, but who do I drop for him? Answer: the last guy who's promise has worn off. Or maybe I should cut the high pick who's been struggling all year...but what if he turns it around? X-I

As for some of the other responses in this thread, I don't like moves limits and see little reason for them, at least for roto. For H2H some people don't like streaming so I can see implementing some weekly moves limits.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:58 pm

swyck wrote:As for some of the other responses in this thread, I don't like moves limits and see little reason for them, at least for roto. For H2H some people don't like streaming so I can see implementing some weekly moves limits.

And limiting moves isn't going to help you fight The Urge. That Urge will still be there, you just wouldn't be able to act on it as often.

I don't know that it's something I'd want to be able to control. You should always be trying to improve your team.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 pm

fight it?!?! can't fight it. accept it. embrace it. love it.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:37 pm

I feel like this is one of my real strong points that helps me in the second-halves of seasons, I'm not a fiddler.

Unless I'm desperate in one particular statistic, I'm rarely making moves. Typically my bench is full of players who are there for a specific reason. I very rarely have any room on my rosters for "the next big thing", and I laugh at these guys who are cramming their benches with the second-half call-ups. In a non-keeper league, I'm rarely if ever going to hinge my season's success on whether or not a rookie performs, or a break-out player keeps his hot streak going.

Sure, it's frustrating looking at the FA pool and seeing a ton of talent just wasted there, especially with the crap rosters that half my league has, but as enticing as those options are, none of them are better than what I've got right now. Hell... right now, in my 12 team 1-Catcher league, there are 20+ freaking catchers owned. Wtf? Why? This is just stupidity. So yes, there's probably at least 10 guys out there on the WW who should be owned, and another 30 that could be owned, but I don't need them, and I'm certainly not going to advertise the fact that the other owners need them.

Eh... maybe it's the analyst/engineer/math-geek in me, but I look at people who give into the Urge as similar to compulsive gamblers. It's a lack of self control that's simply not necessary. It doesn't give you any more satisfaction or results. Making moves just for the sake of making moves is a recipe for failure.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:38 pm

(I'm the starter of this thread)

I will admit I am not fiddling as much as season's past. Those uber-rookies have all been scooped up and I really have no regrets as I plod along in 4th but w/i striking distance of 1st. We have 50 moves for the season and I am learning to cope with it but deeeeeeeeeeep down I want to make a move.

I like the idea of charging $$ for moves over the cap but I don't like the idea of waiting for those people to pay.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 am

Y`s Guy wrote:(I'm the starter of this thread)

I will admit I am not fiddling as much as season's past. Those uber-rookies have all been scooped up and I really have no regrets as I plod along in 4th but w/i striking distance of 1st. We have 50 moves for the season and I am learning to cope with it but deeeeeeeeeeep down I want to make a move.

I like the idea of charging $$ for moves over the cap but I don't like the idea of waiting for those people to pay.

best thing to do here is have people pay up front.. have them tack on an extra $30 or whatever to their league fee. what every they don't use they get back at the end of the season.. if they don't want to pay up front then they get no transactions over the limit.. problem solved.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 pm

I always have the utrge to do something. I created 4 teams this year in yahoo. 1 deep league which is my number 1. 1 first year keeper league. then 2 free yahoo leagues, which were supposed to be just for fun. except in the 2 yahoo leagues I'm in 1st place in one with a 13.5 point lead and in the other one I'm in 2nd place 3.5 points out. I never intended to be that competitive in the free leagues and just wanted to use them for a lot of moves like spot starting pitchers and/or hitters. yet there have been so many good players dropped, I had to pick them up. the team I'm in 1st place I've picked up off waivers this season- Werth, Figgins, Quentin, Lind, Ortiz, Span. I have star caliber players on my bench and there are still players on waivers I would like to pick up. I have made multiple posts to other owners that if they are unhappy with a certain player they can trade them rather than drop them. I guess this is what happens with free leagues, most of them are a joke. and these are still "competitive" leagues rather than "casual".
in a lot of the leagues I have played in I have made 100+ moves each season. 2 years ago I was even 150+.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

free public leagues are a joke...
last year i signed up for 15 free ESPN leagues just for draft practice and 14 of the teams finished in 1st place. :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:29 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:free public leagues are a joke...
last year i signed up for 15 free ESPN leagues just for draft practice and 14 of the teams finished in 1st place. :-b

You do realize we're pretty much constantly doing mocks at Couchmanagers in the weeks before draft season starts. :-?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers