The Urge...how to fight it - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Urge...how to fight it

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Urge...how to fight it

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:35 am

I do not have the answer.

There are different kinds of fantasy managers. If you take away the dopes who go through a draft and then fade off we are left with the active peeps. But they vary in style. The Trader Jacks. The WW Wallowers. The Patient Ones who see what plays out until July. The Rookie Rounder-Uppers. The Quiet Dude.

But you know when you have that urge to make a move just because. I am always with my finger on the mouse. I gotta do something. This year I have been better than the past but I hate seeing quality players out there even if I am stocked up for a playoff run.

As a fantasy manager it is real easy to like a lot of players. And to see a WW chock full of guys who you like but really don't have the room for...for example a raking Travis Snider is about to come up. But do you dump Ike Davis or Matt Laporta for him? Or do you dump Jhoulys Chacin or Gio G. for a Barry Enright?

Has anyone done a rehab stint where you have successfully become a hare when you are a rabbit deep down inside?
Last edited by Y`s Guy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Re: The Urge...how to fight it

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:44 am

I'm with you. I'm already 'out of it' for my keeper league but I keep picking up guys off waivers in case they're trade bait, do something exciting, etc. A manager recently remarked that the hitters on the waiver wire are atrocious, and I thought "that may be because of me, because the halfway decent ones are on my bench".

I think it's called hoarding. I suppose one solution for you is to try and make minimal increment 2-for-1 trades. Package guys like LaPorta and Chacin up for somebody interesting, giving you an open spot to feed the habit. Oh wait, you wanted to curb the habit? I got nuthin'.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Carnac » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:22 pm

I have to fight it also. Couple years ago we instituted a 65 move limit. That cools your jets a little.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Managing multiple teams tends to cool that urge as well. I'm in three leagues this year, and I'm active enough in each that I don't have to do a ton of small, relatively trivial moves to keep me interested.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Oh, I definitely have The Urge.

Our league instituted a 42 move max with each move thereafter costing the owner $1, which is added to the prize pool. The rule was made to mitigate streaming. Well, I don't stream, never have, but am already over the 42 move limit and in the hole $10. The worst is when you drop a guy and he heats up and you have to wait for him to clear waivers to pick him up again - as Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part". There are some guys that have been off and on my team at least 3 times already.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:31 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Managing multiple teams tends to cool that urge as well. I'm in three leagues this year, and I'm active enough in each that I don't have to do a ton of small, relatively trivial moves to keep me interested.

This does help, but I usually end up having maybe one or two "favorite" teams that I still micromanage while letting the others stay a bit more dormant.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Came in here expecting to see advice on how to stop cheating on my wife. I am disappoint.

Also, move limits, monetary charges (go towards winner pot) per move, and having two or more teams.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:28 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Came in here expecting to see advice on how to stop cheating on my wife. I am disappoint.

Also, move limits, monetary charges (go towards winner pot) per move, and having two or more teams.

You think you're disappointed? Think about how dismayed Dexter Morgan was when he clicked on this topic and found out it was about FA micromanagement.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby pjalst » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:51 pm

To cure "streaming' I'd rather play in a league that limits IP instead of roster moves. let them make as many moves as they want, keeps the league active and interesting. it also makes owners pay closer attention to the waiver wire and check in more often. You have to check in more often to snatch up the FA's before the WW whores do.

Help please :http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=417209&sid=26db63048c334aef7ed70c68340462cc
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby JMB05 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Not really an aswer for everyone but in my money league we have an increasing cost per player move. DL moves have a set cost, but I think it goes up .50 cents each move, which might not sound like much but towards the end spending a ton of money to grab a guy is way less appeling.

The other answer I have come up with, taking a zen like approach.

Very little phases me this year unlike previous years. I went back over what has gone wrong the past few years of things I could control(ie not injuries or things of that nature) and the constant was me being my own worst enemy.

I constantly over thought things and always had my finger on the trigger. This year, none of that crap.

I trust the team I drafted and have made a few, prudent WW adds, and trades.

I won't lie, I haven't been bit my the injury bug like most years (yet :-o ) but this is by far the most fruitful season I've had in many years.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers