Álex Rodríguez Out of The 1st Round in 2011? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Álex Rodríguez Out of The 1st Round in 2011?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Álex Rodríguez Out of The 1st Round in 2011?

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:31 pm

j24jags wrote:
mkultra wrote:
Geek wrote:Pujols ;-D
Miggy ;-D
Halladay :-? Not sure I'd take a pitcher that early. If I did, though, it would be him.
Lincecum :-S Not even sure he's a top 5 SP going into next year
Longoria ;-D
Carl Crawford ;-D
Teixeira :-o Fan of Tex as a player, but there's just no justification for going before Arod next year. No SB, declining AVG, "Late Starter" problem
Cano ;-D
Wright B-) Matter of preference, IMO, between him and Arod
Howard :-? Wouldn't blame you for this pick, but I personally would not draft a guy this early with 0 SB and < .300 BA
Carlos Gonzalez :-? In a keeper league, maybe. But needs to put it together another season to make it into the 1st round.
Votto ;-D Biggest leap forward this year among top players, IMO
Hanley Ramirez :-? Bad attitude catching up with him, may cost him the 1st round next year
Braun ;-D
healthy Chase Utley :-? emphasis on "healthy"

should all easily go before A-Rod.

Kemp too arguably

If Howard is on this list, Fielder should be too. He's a better bet than Arod to crank out more homers at this point, and it's not his fault that men aren't getting in base in front of him. Howard and Fielder are both like .280 career hitters too. Howard hitting .290 and Fielder hitting .270 are just fluctuations, much like Howard hitting .250 last year and Fielder hitting close to .300. Both are very similar types of hitters (and similar body build too!)
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:26 pm

nsulham wrote:I've always gone by the "where there's smoke there's fire" line of thinking and Hanley fits right into that. Heard things about his attitude when he was still in the Boston organization and then it reared its ugly head a couple months ago with the Fredi Gonzalez benching fiasco. The guy is talented as all get out but cops some major 'tude :-t

Yeah, but isn't that what people were saying about MIguel Cabrera before the season started? All that stuff at the end of last year with the alcohol and the fighting with his wife... it made people shy away from him in fantasy. Cabrera seems to be doing OK. Personal issues and attitude are so subjective, and when it comes to your opinion of a player's value in fantasy baseball, I just don't think you can let it be an issue.

Thinking Hanley's got a bad attitude is one thing, so maybe you don't like him as a player as much. But would you really drop him down your draft board because you think he's got a bad attitude? I mean, he's having a "down" year (still the best SS in the game, easily), but unless you want to say it's actually because of his disposition or whatever, so what?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Pedroia's problem has been injuries, not production. He's been just as valuable as Cano on a per-game basis even with the scrap heap of players consisting of Hermida, Darnell McDonald, Bill Hall, Nava, Patterson, and Van Every filling in for the injured regulars.

He was a sell-high before he got injured. There's no way he was keeping up the power surge.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 am

He slugged 493 in his sophomore season, so his huge jump to 503 isn't really a surge that deserves a sell-high, especially considering his BA was over 10 points below his career numbers. Maybe you personally didn't believe in him, but that doesn't mean he's playing over his head. If you haven't noticed, he's a pretty good hitter at sitting right at about his career OPS. And it's not an odd occurrence for a guy his age to improve at the plate. You'd think when you win an MVP and Gold Glove at age 25 you set the bar pretty high, but apparently not.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He slugged 493 in his sophomore season, so his huge jump to 503 isn't really a surge that deserves a sell-high, especially considering his BA was over 10 points below his career numbers. Maybe you personally didn't believe in him, but that doesn't mean he's playing over his head. If you haven't noticed, he's a pretty good hitter at sitting right at about his career OPS. And it's not an odd occurrence for a guy his age to improve at the plate. You'd think when you win an MVP and Gold Glove at age 25 you set the bar pretty high, but apparently not.

Oh I understand that his ratios were pretty much in line with what he has done, but he was on pace for 30 jacks when he got hurt and the odds of him doing that are definitely not in his favor. Not a sell-high in that he was necessarily playing over his head, but more in the idea that the counting stats themselves were likely to slow down a bit.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Pedroia's problem has been injuries, not production. He's been just as valuable as Cano on a per-game basis.

Serious :-? Did you see what Cano did while Pedroia was still playing? There was a very very very small portion of players that were just as valuable as Cano on a per-game basis.

Skin Blues wrote:HYou'd think when you win an MVP and Gold Glove at age 25 you set the bar pretty high, but apparently not.

Not taking anything away from Pedroia, but that was one of the weaker offensive MVP seasons I have seen in a while.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm sure Cano had some really amazing stretches this year, but you can't just single out one portion and arbitrarily ignore the others. All I'm saying is they're pretty comparable on a per-game basis. I have no stake in this, I don't care who was better and didn't make any bold predictions about them. Obviously Pedroia was the consensus better fantasy player going into this season, and for good reason. The fact that Cano is on par with him (and worth even more considering the injuries Pedroia has dealt with) means he carried a bigger return for those that took him.

But it's baseball, sh*t happens. It's impossible to predict Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Youk all missing huge chunks of the season. 2B was a wasteland this year... 8 of the top 10 according to the pre-season FBC rankings have been huge busts for one reason or another.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I'm sure Cano had some really amazing stretches this year, but you can't just single out one portion and arbitrarily ignore the others. All I'm saying is they're pretty comparable on a per-game basis. I have no stake in this, I don't care who was better and didn't make any bold predictions about them. Obviously Pedroia was the consensus better fantasy player going into this season, and for good reason. The fact that Cano is on par with him (and worth even more considering the injuries Pedroia has dealt with) means he carried a bigger return for those that took him.

This is like Tub Girl, in words.

Miguel Cabrera is pretty comparable to Dustin then on a per game basis. What the balls is rating players on a per game basis? Any person in the world can go off on a single way. Such a poor way to look at this.

And consensus that he was the better player wasn't for good reason, cause it was mind numbingly wrong.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm

I love how this is an Arod thread but dash is posting about how great cano is...so tired of reading that...YES CANO IS GREAT...YOU WERE RIGHT THIS YEAR...WTF?!?!? MOVE ON.

Back on point...Someone mentioned earlier about arod possibly not even being above Youk at 3B next season...check Youk games played. Only TWO games at 3B so he will only be 1B eligible to start next season..little FYI.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:26 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:I love how this is an Arod thread but dash is posting about how great cano is...so tired of reading that...YES CANO IS GREAT...YOU WERE RIGHT THIS YEAR...WTF?!?!? MOVE ON.

Back on point...Someone mentioned earlier about arod possibly not even being above Youk at 3B next season...check Youk games played. Only TWO games at 3B so he will only be 1B eligible to start next season..little FYI.

ZOMGZz WHAT! 8-o
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers