Auction Draft League...Next Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction Draft League...Next Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Draft League...Next Year?

Postby seansinclair0077 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm in a brand new keeper league and we used an auction draft and would like to continue to do so in the future. We are looking for a way to help out the bottom of the standings teams in the draft next year, ie in a regular draft the last place team would get to pick first, but since it's an auction anyone could take anyone. Any ideas on how we could help out those lower teams. The only idea I can think of right now is setting an additional amount of extra dollars to the team. For example, last place gets 12 extra dollars, 11th place gets 11 etc. I think for the most part this is the first keeper league for most of us so we are trying to figure out what's best. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!
C - B. McCann, Santana
1B - Teixeira, Dunn (OF),
2B - B. Phillips
3B - Reynolds (1B), M. Young,
SS - Jeter,
OF - Braun, Quentin, C. Young
SP - Webb, Burnett, Shields, Hudson, Pelfrey, Hughes, Morrow, E. Jackson, B. Myers
RP - Lidge, Qualls, Rauch
seansinclair0077
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Draft League...Next Year?

Postby bigmck » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:17 pm

When you say "Auction Draft", I assume you mean just "Auction", where you bid on the players. == I have been running an Auction League for 15 years. There is no reason to "help out the bottom teams". If a team finishes near the bottom, their players are bad. The next spring they keep fewer players and have more money to bid with. This has a way of evening things out. Also in August and September as teams see they are out of the running, they can trade their high priced stars for quality players that have a low salary. This also gives them an advantage in the spring since they have some low salary players and more money to bid with. Things work out with out giving any advantage. == Let me suggest one thing for your league. I have seen leagues that will not let owners in the fall trade away their high priced stars for good low salary players by vetoing trades like this. Don't get caught in that trap. Your league will die. Do away with the veto rule. My league has a $260 salary cap on Auction Day. When the season starts, the cap becomes $290. This allows for some uneven trades but stops a team from getting a lot of high salary players. Do away with your veto rule and if a team can make a trade and stay under the salary cap, then the trade is legal. Good Luck.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby bigmck » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 pm

I have a question for you. What are you doing about "Salary Escalation". By that I mean leagues all have a way of making a players salary higher after a couple of years so that the same owner can't keep a player forever. How does your league handle this?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby seansinclair0077 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Yes I did mean just an Auction. I guess I should have given a little more information. We as well have a $260 cap, and we have voted that the player's projected value for the upcoming year will determine the reduction in salary for our keepers. We are only keeping 5 as well.
I think we have also decided that there won't be any extra incentive to finishing last since we are only keeping 5, and ultimately have a chance at pretty much a whole new team next year, so thank you for that input.

In terms of salary escalation, this is still being determined. I know it should have been established before week 1, and no I'm not the commissioner either, but better late than never I guess. A couple of us have discussed the idea of taking a player's projected value...then adding a dollar amount each year you keep a guy. So if Braun's projected value is $40 this year, to keep him will cost me $45 (just using $5 as an example) $50 the year after, $55 after that. At some point the price will be too high and that player will end up back in the draft. Is that something you have seen work in your experience? This is my first keeper league and it's a lot of fun and really don't want it to fall apart in the early goings.
C - B. McCann, Santana
1B - Teixeira, Dunn (OF),
2B - B. Phillips
3B - Reynolds (1B), M. Young,
SS - Jeter,
OF - Braun, Quentin, C. Young
SP - Webb, Burnett, Shields, Hudson, Pelfrey, Hughes, Morrow, E. Jackson, B. Myers
RP - Lidge, Qualls, Rauch
seansinclair0077
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 pm

A pretty standard way of escalating salary is like this. == In the spring of 2011 you will keep five players. They will be in their second contract year in 2011 with the same salary. The players you win in the Auction in 2011 will be in their first contract year. You need to keep track of salary and contract year. In the spring of 2012, if you keep any players that are going into their third contract year, that will be their Option Year. You can choose to let them play out their option which means you keep them for 2012 at the same salary and at the end of the year they will be Free Agents. You can also choose to Extend the Contract. Say a players salary is $13 and you want to extend him for one year. In 2012 his salary would be five dollars higher, $18 for 2012 and you would also have him for 2013 at $18. If you choose to extend him for two years it would be ten dollars higher or $23 for 2012, 2013 and 2014. At the end of their contract they would be a Free Agent and put back in the player pool. You only get one chance to Extend their Contract or let them Play Out Their Option. This is a pretty simple way to do it and is fairly standard. == Just remember that the only time you have to worry about a players option year is in the spring when he is entering his third year. Let me know if you have any questions on this. Thanks,

PS -- I would strongly be against using any "Projected Salary". Use the Salary that you won the player in the Auction.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fast dogs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:34 pm

yea the projected salary idea you don't want. you want to be rewarded next year for getting a player with a low bid and see his value increase as the year goes on.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby sportsgalorenet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 am

fast dogs is right. next year this player might increase its worth.
sportsgalorenet
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JesseHill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 pm

This is how my league works with regards to helping out the bottom teams:

We keep all players from one year to the next, and there's no salary increase or anything like that for keeping a player. Your players are yours for as long as you want them to be.

Every week we acquire players via a FAAB, so you need at least a dollar to make any move during the season. If you have $20 remaining for example, you could try to make 20 $1 moves or 2 $10 moves, etc, before you're out of cash. You spend your money however you like, and carry unspent $ over into the next season.

Trades can involve $. So, a player short on cash could trade a top tier player to another manager for a tier 2 guy plus whatever amount of $ he feels he needs to justify the trade.

At the end of the year, you get $40 plus 10x your standing. So 1st place gets $50, and 10th gets $140 for the next season (plus whatever players have left over).

The idea is that at the start of the next season, the last place teams have the best chance to acquire a Heyward or Strasbourg type of guy, and will have more flexibility during the season to tinker with their lineup.
JesseHill
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner