Al. Gonzalez+ to Braves for Y Escobar, Jo Jo Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Al. Gonzalez+ to Braves for Y Escobar, Jo Jo Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A Gonzalez+ to Braves for Y Escobar, Jo Jo Reyes

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:when i saw the thread title i thought WTF is San Diego smoking

I was thinking Adrian Gonzalez as well, and then I checked the calendar to make sure that it wasn't April 1st.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Al. Gonzalez+ to Braves for Y Escobar, Jo Jo Reyes

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Fixed! !+)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm

The Braves must have really grown tired of his attitude, as they had just recently said he was still the best defensive SS in the NL.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby socceryank » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:02 pm

So what does this do to the value of each, especially Gonzalez? What type of park is Atlanta: pitcher's, hitter's or neutral?

The ironic thing is I elected to wait on SS this year while drafting, and took a flyer on Yunel. I quickly dropped him and picked up Gonzalez and have been loving the ride so far. This trade has me worried from a fantasy perspective. :-o
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Some breakdown notes:

Yunel Escobar-Alex Gonzalez Trade Reactions
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 14 at 2:35pm CST]
The Braves sent Yunel Escobar north for a veteran who happens to lead MLB shortstops in home runs (Alex Gonzalez). It's a win-now move for Atlanta, though they also acquire a pair of intriguing prospects in the process. Meanwhile, the Blue Jays acquire a cheap, young shortstop who can play great defense and has a career OBP of .368. So does that make today's trade a win-win? Here's what the baseball writers are saying:

Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says Escobar was "not an Atlanta Braves type of player." Gonzalez is having a strong season and should fit in, so Knobler says he is an Atlanta Braves type of player, even if he's not a long-term solution at short.
Mychael Urban of CSN Bay Area believes the Giants could have used Escobar (Twitter link). I wonder how many Tigers fans are thinking the same thing about their team.
The Blue Jays took a risk and acquired Escobar now, because top players are rarely available when they're playing at their best, Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos explained to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian (Twitter links).
Earlier in the season, an Atlanta Brave told Andy Martino of the New York Daily News that Braves manager Bobby Cox hates Yunel Escobar because of perceived lack of hustle.
Joe Pawlikowski of FanGraphs says the deal "doesn’t seem nearly as bad for the Braves as it did at first glance," though the Blue Jays still won.
R.J. Anderson of FanGraphs believes the trade "has to be looked upon as a pretty worthwhile risk for the Jays."
Bryan Smith of FanGraphs says Jo-Jo Reyes doesn't mean much to the Braves, since they have so much pitching depth. Smith also suggests Tyler Pastornicky had considerable appeal for the Braves, since he runs and has raised his walk rate.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Great deal, I never imagined that AA could fetch this kind of return for Gonzalez when they signed him last offseason (or even after this power burst in the 1st half). Escobar is under control for 3 more years, is the better offensive player going forward (it will be nice to have another guy that actually takes a walk) and he's, of course, one of the better defenders at SS in baseball.

It's tough lose Collins and Pastornicky, guys that I've watched develop for years, but we probably aren't looking at high-ceiling guys there anyway. Collins remains a very intriguing prospect, though.

Reyes is still only 25 and putting up decent-to-good peripherals in AAA, so he's not a lost cause either.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Fixed! !+)

Just change the title to "A. Gonzalez traded, Jays receive J. Reyes+"

No one will be confused then. ;-7

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 pm

After reading a bit about him, it sounds to me like Escobar is the "Alex Rios of shorstops."

After the events of the last year, I prefer taking chances on players like that instead of giving them up.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:46 pm

I for sure think the Blue Jays got the better end of this deal. Escobar has battled injuries for much of the season but he has much more upside and has looked very good prior to the AS break. A great trade for Toronto! I would of loved the Reds to trade Cabrera for Escobar in a similar deal in a second. I think this obviously has to do with player makeup rather than talent.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Blue Jays definitely won. Braves might've won too. They've wanted to get rid of Yunel for a while now; they're probably relatively happy to just have unloaded him. But i feel like Gonzalez was a poor choice; they could have made a move for prospects and then dealt those guys (or others) for a different SS. Or played All-Star Omar Infante at SS for the rest of the season (or until they found someone better to take over). Just my thought though...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers