Razor Wars - what do you shave with? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Razor Wars - what do you shave with?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Razor Wars - what do you shave with?

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Shaving sucks. I've been shaving for 25 years and I hate it. I should shave every day but I don't, because I refuse to. I treat shaving with contempt, and only shave when absolutely necessary.

I ran across this article discussing the nonsense that goes along with shaving. Apparently I use the most basic dinosaur of a razor, one that came out in 1990 (on the far left in the picture). I also don't use shaving cream - that's the biggest scam since the pet rock. I shave in the shower using bar soap. It's a better lubricant, it doesn't cost anything extra, and it does a far better job than shaving creams or gels. Further, I HATE that cologne crap they put in most shaving creams.

Here's the article:

Jeff Hagan, a 43-year-old investment banker in San Francisco, doesn't need to buy another blade or razor for the next four years.

That's because last year, tired of trying to keep up with the cycle of shaving-system upgrades and price hikes, Mr. Hagan bought 100 Gillette Mach3 blades. Then he found oil that helps double the blades' lifespan.

"I'm basically investing in blade futures," Mr. Hagan remembers telling onlookers at Costco as they marveled at the pile of cartridges in his cart. "That's my hedge against getting forced to upgrade."

His hoarding came just in time. This spring, the titans of shaving, Procter & Gamble Co.'s Gillette (NYSE: PG - News) and Energizer Holdings Inc.'s Schick launched another round of their endless duel, with systems touting improved blades, more ergonomic handles and, inevitably, higher prices.

Shaving is big business. Gillette brings in more than $4 billion in annual sales; Schick sees sales of around $1 billion a year, according to analysts' estimates. Though the recession hurt sales of blades and boosted sales of cheaper disposable razors, the two companies still have a lock on the U.S. market. Gillette commands 70% of the razors-and-blades category, and Schick holds about 10%, according to market-data firm Euromonitor International Inc.

A hardy subset of men, however, isn't interested in playing the game and takes extraordinary measures to opt out.

"I'm a full-on capitalist, but there's a little bit of 'sticking it to the man' here that I enjoy," says Mr. Hagan of his stockpile of Mach3 blades, which Gillette launched 12 years ago.

New razors have been fodder for parody for more than a quarter century. In 1975, the inaugural episode of "Saturday Night Live" included a mock commercial for a three-blade razor with the slogan, "Because you'll believe anything."

FULL ARTICLE

Mine's the one on the far left. No bells, no whistles, just a plain, functional razor.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Razor Wars - what do you shave with?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 pm

I shave with a dull rock like a real man. :^

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Dull rocks give me razor burn. :-t

I use a rusty jagged fender from a 55 Buick. ;-D

Seriously though, I shave everyday. Or nearly everyday. Sometimes if I'm sick or hungover or just plain lazy and don't feel like leaving the house I wont shave, but I never go out in public without shaving. I know a lot of guys can pull off the stubby look, I'm not one of them, I just look like a scumbag. I've never had a mustache or a beard, for two reasons:

1) I can't get past the looking like a scumbag phase that probably lasts 2 to 3 weeks. :-b

2) More importantly I can't get past the awful itching, man it drives me up the wall! :-X

Also if I don't shave everyday I get razor burn when I do. I use a Mach III and the cheapest Gillet shaving cream money can buy. I hear ya on shaving cream being a scam but I like using it better than soap.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby k.k. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:46 pm

I had been stuck in the dark ages using a Gillette Sensor II, but finally upgraded to the 5-blade Fusion. Nice. ;-D

I've had a full beard for 3 years now, but am using the Fusion now to shave my head. The Sensor II worked good for that too, but with the odd painful nick. The Fusion has been flawless so far. The only downfall are the expensive cartridges. Sheesh!
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I've been hoping that the crazy 4 and 5 blade razors really take off in hopes that the Mach III blades will go down in price. :-°
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:54 pm

I use the Gilette Fusion (2nd from the right), and I actually use conditioner as opposed to shaving cream. I shave every 3 days or so, mainly because I think the stubbly look is best on me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:04 pm

I've used Braun electrics my entire life. For the past few years I've had the one with the stand that cleans and recharges it. Can't beat the electric for convenience and a good shave.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I've used Braun electrics my entire life. For the past few years I've had the one with the stand that cleans and recharges it. Can't beat the electric for convenience and a good shave.

How close a shave does it give you compared to a non-electric?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:19 pm

I've tried several electric razors and none of them work for me. I've used the floating head razors, the microscreen razors, the whole gamut, and they all leave stubble.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I've used Braun electrics my entire life. For the past few years I've had the one with the stand that cleans and recharges it. Can't beat the electric for convenience and a good shave.

How close a shave does it give you compared to a non-electric?

I get a terrible shave from a non-electric but I was told that your face has to get used to whatever you are using. So if you've always used a non-electric that is what your face is used to and that is what will give you a better shave, the reverse is also true.

I shave ususally twice a day. Once in the morning with my main shaver and then I have a portable in my desk that I usually use for an afternoon spruce up.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Next

Return to General Talk