Rank these Prospects: Holland, Hellickson, Hudson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rank these Prospects: Holland, Hellickson, Hudson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank these Prospects: Holland, Hellickson, Hudson

Postby spark0901 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Which of these players has the most value in a dynasty league? It might be the case that Hudson will make the largest impact this year given that he was just called up. Holland's role in the Rangers rotation is up in the air given the acquisition of Lee this year, plus he pitches in Texas. There doesn't seem to be any timetable on Hellickson's call up, but given the Rays' thin margin of error, a call-up sometime this season seems certain. So in terms of raw talent, would you rate these guys as follows:

Holland
Hellickson
Hudson

If we were to factor circumstance into the equation and then rank these players based on what their projected careers would look like given talent and circumstance, should these rankings change at all? (i.e. if we assume Holland pitches in Texas for his career and that Hellickson pitches in the AL east for his career, how much does that affect their value compared to Hudson) Would it be worth dropping either Hellickson or Holland in a dynasty league if he has early success after his call-up? Is Holland clearly the best pitcher here, or is it a toss-up between Hellickson and Holland?
spark0901
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rank these Prospects: Holland, Hellickson, Hudson

Postby HighHeater » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Holland
(big gap)

Hellickson

Hudson

before Hollands injury he was destroying AAA to the tune of a K per and a .97 WHIP going 6+ innings every time out, and had successful games in the majors before he went down. He has the highest ceiling by far of this group with true ace potential. He pitches in the weak part of the AL as well and has a great young offense backing him for years. The only thing limiting this lefty is potential injury but i'd roll with him 10/10 every time against the rest of the group.

Hellickson is a fantastic MLB ready pitcher. He doesn't have the stuff of Holland but he locates it well and knows how to pitch. He doesn't have the true ace upside because of stuff but i do believe he can be a #2/#3 type. He does pitch in the dreaded AL East as well. Good young offense backing him also provides mroe value

Hudson is the weakest of this crop. He has about the same ceiling as Hellickson though in my eyes. He K'ed well over an inning in AAA and has a great true out pitch in the change up. He doesnt pitch in the AL east like Hellickson but his offense isnt as good either and his home park is more verted torwards hitters much like Arlington.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby King Tim » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Hellboy
Holland
Hudson
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freeling_prideful » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm puzzled by why Holland would be such a superior prospect to Hellickson -- is it just b/c he's left-handed? His numbers look very good in the minor leagues, but he got blasted pretty hard in his MLB debut season. He has some juice on his fastball, but he probably needs to improve his secondary pitches.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dmattingly23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:12 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:I'm puzzled by why Holland would be such a superior prospect to Hellickson -- is it just b/c he's left-handed? His numbers look very good in the minor leagues, but he got blasted pretty hard in his MLB debut season. He has some juice on his fastball, but he probably needs to improve his secondary pitches.

He isn't. I would think that most would say Hellickson has a higher upside. I would rank them Holland, Hellickson really close, and then a HUGE gap Hudson.

And I probally only put Holland ahead because of the personal interest I have in him.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Doesn't anyone factor in that Holland makes his home in arlington? He gave up 26 HR in 138 IP last season which is very alarming. The ball flys out in Arlington, especially in the summer months, which to me drops holland a lot lower than hellickson. Also, Holland has been on the DL since May 31st with rotator cuff inflammation in his throwing arm. I understand that Hellboy will have to face the yankees and red sox a lot throughout the year, but I would rather a pitcher face those teams than pitch half of his games in Texas.

Hellickson

(Large Gap)

Holland
Hudson
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mblax10 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Right or wrong, I don't like to factor in MLB team, who's blocking a prospect etc. Too many things change. How are people doing right now who gave Justin Smoak extra credit in the rankings because he'd be hitting in Texas?

I would agree, Holland has a higher upside than Hellickson. Hellickson has a much higher floor and a much better chance of reaching his ceiling. I agree with the Hellickson, Holland, (large gap) Hudson ranking.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:16 am

King Tim wrote:Hellboy
Holland
Hudson

+1
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RASportsnut » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Montana168 wrote:Doesn't anyone factor in that Holland makes his home in arlington? He gave up 26 HR in 138 IP last season which is very alarming. The ball flys out in Arlington, especially in the summer months, which to me drops holland a lot lower than hellickson. Also, Holland has been on the DL since May 31st with rotator cuff inflammation in his throwing arm. I understand that Hellboy will have to face the yankees and red sox a lot throughout the year, but I would rather a pitcher face those teams than pitch half of his games in Texas.

Hellickson

(Large Gap)

Holland
Hudson

You make a good argument above, but you left out that Holland pitches for a much stronger offensive team than the O's, so the opportunity for more wins will be there.
10 Team H2H Pts Dynasty
Arencibia,Hosmer,Kinsler,Tulo,Bruce,Stubbs,Rasmus,Morrison,Beckham,McGehee,Lind,Lawrie,Zimm (DL),Belt (DL)Trout (ML)

F.Hernandez,Kershaw,Gallardo,Latos,B.Anderson,Scherzer,Marcum,Romero,Bumgarner,Matusz,JZimm,Madson,Matt Moore
RASportsnut
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:20 pm

RASportsnut wrote:
Montana168 wrote:Doesn't anyone factor in that Holland makes his home in arlington? He gave up 26 HR in 138 IP last season which is very alarming. The ball flys out in Arlington, especially in the summer months, which to me drops holland a lot lower than hellickson. Also, Holland has been on the DL since May 31st with rotator cuff inflammation in his throwing arm. I understand that Hellboy will have to face the yankees and red sox a lot throughout the year, but I would rather a pitcher face those teams than pitch half of his games in Texas.

Hellickson

(Large Gap)

Holland
Hudson

You make a good argument above, but you left out that Holland pitches for a much stronger offensive team than the O's, so the opportunity for more wins will be there.

Hellickson is owned by the Rays organization, not the O's.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball