RIP George - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RIP George

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RIP George

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:12 pm

RIP

You could not have possibly asked for more in an owner. For me the Yankees and Steinbrenner have always gone hand-in-hand...you can't think of one without also thinking of the other. He'll be missed.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby neoforce » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm

As a long time die hard Yankees fan, I'm very saddened today. As KCollins said, I'm not surprised. It was clear things were not going well for George the last few years. But to think that he is now gone, along with the voice of Yankee Stadium just a few days ago leaves a big void in the Yankee family.

Truth is, I really had a love/hate thing for Steinbrenner. I loved his passion, his willingness to spend money, his desire to win. I hated his impulsiveness, his bluster and his impatience. Of course in some ways those are opposite sides of the same coin.

I much prefer the way that the Yankees are run now. I think his two suspensions gave the team a "break" from the Boss and actually had a lot to do with later Yankee successes.

But George was the foundation of the modern Yankees.

Grounded Polo wrote:
So, let's change the name of new Yankee Stadium to Steinbrenner Stadium.

I don't see that happening, ironically because of Steinbrenner's own legacy. George set out the path that said reinvest back into the team. That philosophy is why the Yankees didn't sell naming rights to the new stadium.

why does Citibank or Target or whoever pay millions of dollars to name a stadium? Because it is a way to advertise their brand. Leaving the name Yankee Stadium is advertising the Yankee Brand. So instead of making millions to sell naming rights that money is reinvested in the Yankee brand.

You didn't really think they kept the name Yankee Stadium because of tradition, did you?

The Yankees huge financial advantages today are a combination of two factors. First, the deep pockets of the New York market. But secondly and just as important are because of George's philosophy of leveraging that market by consistently reinvesting in the Yankees.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CharlatanSin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:39 pm

neoforce wrote:
Truth is, I really had a love/hate thing for Steinbrenner. I loved his passion, his willingness to spend money, his desire to win. I hated his impulsiveness, his bluster and his impatience. Of course in some ways those are opposite sides of the same coin.

I think most of us Yankees fans feel the same way. My earliest baseball memories are 93/94, after Steinbrenner had already mellowed quite a bit, so most of my "hate" comes from how much my mother hated him.

But the man changed baseball, for better or worse, more than almost anybody else in the past half century. He will be missed.
The Boss wrote:"Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:03 pm

neoforce wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
So, let's change the name of new Yankee Stadium to Steinbrenner Stadium.

I don't see that happening, ironically because of Steinbrenner's own legacy. George set out the path that said reinvest back into the team. That philosophy is why the Yankees didn't sell naming rights to the new stadium.

why does Citibank or Target or whoever pay millions of dollars to name a stadium? Because it is a way to advertise their brand. Leaving the name Yankee Stadium is advertising the Yankee Brand. So instead of making millions to sell naming rights that money is reinvested in the Yankee brand.

You didn't really think they kept the name Yankee Stadium because of tradition, did you?

The Yankees huge financial advantages today are a combination of two factors. First, the deep pockets of the New York market. But secondly and just as important are because of George's philosophy of leveraging that market by consistently reinvesting in the Yankees.

Well, THANK YOU for telling me why companies buying stadium naming rights, clearly no one could guess why they do such a thing. :-S

I would think selling the naming rights to new Yankee stadium would go over as well as Lebron James holding an hour long special to announce he's joining the Miami Heat.

They keep the name because of the tradition that transformed it to a stand alone marketing brand of its own and using someone else's name would only hurt it, business and public relations wise.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:15 pm

nsulham wrote:Figures he would try to show up MLB by passing away on the eve of the ASG. Classic Big Stein, still giving Selig the finger from the grave lol. RIP ya passionate S.O.B.

Ah, I thought the exact same thing lol. :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:04 pm

They could name the field after him, change it to Steinbrenner Field at Yankee Stadium.

Anyone want to be George is up in heaven right now trying to talk St. Peter into letting him kick Billy Martin out one last time?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:50 pm

The Yankees spring training stadium is already named after Steinbrenner, George M. Steinbrenner Field. It was formerly Legends Field but they changed the name in March 2008, around the time that Steinbrenner's health started to decline.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:39 pm

RIP :,-(
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby apz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:21 pm

RIP Wish he had bought the Mets.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby drunkmonkey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Ticket to All-Star game: $500
Parking: $25
16 oz beer: $8.50

Booing the Yankees on the day of Steinbrenner's death: Classless

Way to go, L.A. :-t
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers