Scott Kazmir - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Kazmir

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:17 pm

I think that Chin-hui Tsao is more talented than any of the pitchers named, but because he will be pitching in Colorado he loses a lot of value.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:48 pm

I'm Surprised no one mentioned Edwin Jackson
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Re: Scott Kazmir

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:23 pm

jflo wrote:Is he the #1 prospect in baseball? I think so. What do you guys think?

No way, not in my top 10.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Xtreemes » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:27 pm

hootie, is that based on how far away he is from the majors or his potential?
Xtreemes

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:07 pm

Xtreemes wrote:hootie, is that based on how far away he is from the majors or his potential?

Potential. Scott has a great arm, but i almost never rank a sp #1. SP are far too risky. Ryan Anderson and Rick Ankiel were just as good as Scott in A ball. Scott probably is my 5th or6th choice at sp. One thing that is a bit of a concern, is Scotts size, 6-170. He reminds me of Billy Wagner. I think a move to closer is possible. Imo, Fielder, Weeks, Upton, Barfield, Rios are the top picks. If i took a sp, it would be Greinke, with Miller, Jackson very close.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:10 pm

jflo wrote:About Grienke, he is a control pitcher right? Plus he is getting destroyed this spring...

Why is everyone concerned about spring? Ryan Anderson a few years back mowed down Arod and Griffey in a trial look, and proceeeded to claim how great he was,and how easy he disposed of the stars.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:14 pm

DK wrote:He, along with Greg Miller, is the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. Usually HS guys don't pan out, but both of these guys are getting better and better.

Scotts numbers decreased moving from the South Atlantic (low A), to the Florida State league (high A). Of course any jump usually results in a decrease, since it's not uncommon to amass sick numbers in low A.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:18 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
DK wrote:He, along with Greg Miller, is the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. Usually HS guys don't pan out, but both of these guys are getting better and better.

Scotts numbers decreased moving from the South Atlantic (low A), to the Florida State league (high A). Of course any jump usually results in a decrease, since it's not uncommon to amass sick numbers in low A.

I'm not talking about statistics, yet. I'm talking about skill. Kazmir came up to the majors and had a pretty good look. Now, I understand that doesn't mean much, take your Ryan Anderson thought, but Kazmir has the talent.

Kirk Saarloos was a short RHP drafted by the Astros in 2001. He was the 2nd pitcher in the big leagues drafted in 2001. People can be small and pitch well. Height/weight doesn't have as much bearing as people think.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:18 pm

There is something about Grienke that doesn't feel right to me. I do think that he's a top prospect, but #1? I don't know.

People say that he's got similar stuff to Greg Maddux, but Maddux never had that great stuff. He is just brilliant and knows how to play hitters. I'd put Jackson, Miller, Hamels, Gaudin, Tsao, etc well above Zach. But that's just a gut feeling - only time will tell.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sportznow » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:36 pm

umm ZACH GREINKE
sportznow
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext