3B the rest of the way - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

3B the rest of the way

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 3B the rest of the way

Postby ayebatter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 am

"1s" (never realized what that sounded like, interesting don't ya think)

you're more than welcome to keep track for the rest of the season, here's day 1:

Alex Rodriguez 1/4 1rbi
Pablo Sandoval 3/4 3rbi 1r
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:24 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
Because Fantasy performance is judged on RBI's rather than ISO and HR/FB% and like you said its "easy to pump as the cleanup hitter in the league's 2nd best offense" :-?

ISO measures homers, triples, and doubles. Less homers, triples, and doubles means that fewer runners are going to score from first. After all, it's pretty hard to score from first on a single. Therefore, he's less likely to get RBI.

A declining HR/FB% indicates that he's not hitting HR at the same pace as he used to. I mean, you could say that he's hitting homers at a slower pace than pretty much his entire career, or that he hasn't had fewer HR through 83 games in his entire career, but HR/FB% is just a lot quicker and easier to look up.

Also, he's never had fewer SB through 83 games either.

Hi,

Thanks, I never actually knew what ISO meant. It all makes sense now! Despite watching 363 PA of Alex Rodriguez this year, all this must have slipped my mind! Silly me.

Despite one of his lower HR/FB% he has come through half the season with 14 home runs and produced RBI's at a ELITE rate. Do we actually anticipate his HR/FB% to get lower? 14 homers with his poor (in ARod Terms) HR/FB% kinda sets his floor for the second half right? 14 more homers in the second half would put Pablo "I'm terrible" Sandoval to shame, no? lol, please.

Isn't Sandoval's HR/FB% the lowest of his career, too?

Let me set the record straight, I think that Rodriguez should definitely be ranked higher than Sandoval. Even if he's getting older, he's been good for all of the last four years, great in three, and fantastic in one. Meanwhile, Sandoval has been great in 1.25 years over that span, and that .25 isn't this year. That said...

He has knocked runners in at an elite rate, but the topic of this discussion is "3B the rest of the way". Given the OBP of the guys ahead of him and how little power he's displayed so far, it's really, really unlikely that he'd have 70 RBI right now. I mean, Boesch has displayed more power, has been getting many more hits, and has much better OBP guys in front of him, but he's still trailing Rodriguez by 14 RBI over a 162 game pace. Just because Rodriguez done something unlikely to this point doesn't mean that he'll continue to do unlikely things. I'm not saying he definitively won't keep up this RBI pace, just that given the drop in his hitting and his power, it's more than likely that his RBIs will drop in the second half.

It's likely that his HR/FB rate will get higher, but given the disparity between '10 and his career average, it's unlikely that he'll return to all the way to his career 25% or so rate. He's at 13.6% now, and I think he's most likely to hit in the 16%-18% range for the rest of the season. His HR/FB could definitely get lower, but it's less likely to happen than his rate increasing.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:41 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:ISO measures homers, triples, and doubles. Less homers, triples, and doubles means that fewer runners are going to score from first. After all, it's pretty hard to score from first on a single. Therefore, he's less likely to get RBI.

A declining HR/FB% indicates that he's not hitting HR at the same pace as he used to. I mean, you could say that he's hitting homers at a slower pace than pretty much his entire career, or that he hasn't had fewer HR through 83 games in his entire career, but HR/FB% is just a lot quicker and easier to look up.

Also, he's never had fewer SB through 83 games either.

Hi,

Thanks, I never actually knew what ISO meant. It all makes sense now! Despite watching 363 PA of Alex Rodriguez this year, all this must have slipped my mind! Silly me.

Despite one of his lower HR/FB% he has come through half the season with 14 home runs and produced RBI's at a ELITE rate. Do we actually anticipate his HR/FB% to get lower? 14 homers with his poor (in ARod Terms) HR/FB% kinda sets his floor for the second half right? 14 more homers in the second half would put Pablo "I'm terrible" Sandoval to shame, no? lol, please.

Isn't Sandoval's HR/FB% the lowest of his career, too?

Let me set the record straight, I think that Rodriguez should definitely be ranked higher than Sandoval. Even if he's getting older, he's been good for all of the last four years, great in three, and fantastic in one. Meanwhile, Sandoval has been great in 1.25 years over that span, and that .25 isn't this year. That said...

He has knocked runners in at an elite rate, but the topic of this discussion is "3B the rest of the way". Given the OBP of the guys ahead of him and how little power he's displayed so far, it's really, really unlikely that he'd have 70 RBI right now. I mean, Boesch has displayed more power, has been getting many more hits, and has much better OBP guys in front of him, but he's still trailing Rodriguez by 14 RBI over a 162 game pace. Just because Rodriguez done something unlikely to this point doesn't mean that he'll continue to do unlikely things. I'm not saying he definitively won't keep up this RBI pace, just that given the drop in his hitting and his power, it's more than likely that his RBIs will drop in the second half.

It's likely that his HR/FB rate will get higher, but given the disparity between '10 and his career average, it's unlikely that he'll return to all the way to his career 25% or so rate. He's at 13.6% now, and I think he's most likely to hit in the 16%-18% range for the rest of the season. His HR/FB could definitely get lower, but it's less likely to happen than his rate increasing.

Right, I know all of this, and very, very much agree with all of this. These aren't facts that everybody didnt know. My A-Rod RBI post was in jest that Sandoval will outperform ARod.

But this should be fun:
ayebatter wrote:"1s" (never realized what that sounded like, interesting don't ya think)
you're more than welcome to keep track for the rest of the season, here's day 1:
Alex Rodriguez 1/4 1rbi
Pablo Sandoval 3/4 3rbi 1r

First, Pronounced "oNeZ" .. I am like 85 and I still understand the meaning of "1's". But yes you are correct Sandoval did very much out produce A-Rod day 1 of the second half of the season. Let's monitor this.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Montana168 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:38 am

This will be a fun thread to watch. Thinking Sandoval can outproduce A-rod is one of the funniest projections i've seen on here in awhile. Of course, setting aside season-ending injuries. A-rod could go out and break his leg tomorrow and sandoval will have the better 2nd half because he's on the field, and vice versa. Sandoval's power ceiling (25-30 HR) is A-rod's floor. !+)
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:13 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:First, Pronounced "oNeZ" .. I am like 85 and I still understand the meaning of "1's". But yes you are correct Sandoval did very much out produce A-Rod day 1 of the second half of the season. Let's monitor this.

This joke wasn't funny the first time around. It's even less so now.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Matthias wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:First, Pronounced "oNeZ" .. I am like 85 and I still understand the meaning of "1's". But yes you are correct Sandoval did very much out produce A-Rod day 1 of the second half of the season. Let's monitor this.

Wait? When was it a joke?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:38 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Matthias wrote:

Wait? When was it a joke?

Exactly.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Matthias wrote:Exactly.

Exactly, what?
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:03 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Matthias wrote:Exactly.

Exactly, what?

Meehoo?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 am

Montana168 wrote:Of course, setting aside season-ending injuries. A-rod could go out and break his leg tomorrow and sandoval will have the better 2nd half because he's on the field, and vice versa. Sandoval's power ceiling (25-30 HR) is A-rod's floor. !+)

Projecting plate appearances is an important part of the numbers, if you don't, you'll be left holding the bag on a a great player who's losing at bats.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers