Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

Postby vykeengfan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 am

Earlier an owner in my league who I've been having informal trade discussions with told me an offer that another owner(our commish) offered him for the same player I was targeting. He then asked if I could top the offer. Would you guys consider this unethical? It sucks cuz we're all friends in this league, too. I was hanging w/ our commish and he even told me he was in discussions for a big trade. Should I tell the commish? I told the other guy to just look at my roster and make me a deal.
What do you guys think?
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Unethical? Owner revealing other owner's trade offer...

Postby drunkmonkey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 am

Why would that be unethical? I'm sure MLB teams do this all the time. It seems like good GM strategy to me.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:29 am

This was exactly what the Mariners just did with Cliff Lee. The Twins offered Hicks & Ramos, Yankees Montero, and then the Mariners like Smoak over them. I'm sure they asked all those teams if they could beat those offers. Nothing at all with that strategy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:33 am

vykeengfan wrote:Earlier an owner in my league who I've been having informal trade discussions with told me an offer that another owner(our commish) offered him for the same player I was targeting. He then asked if I could top the offer. Would you guys consider this unethical? It sucks cuz we're all friends in this league, too. I was hanging w/ our commish and he even told me he was in discussions for a big trade. Should I tell the commish? I told the other guy to just look at my roster and make me a deal.
What do you guys think?

That'd be fine with me. It was nice of him to tell you what you're up against.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Seanyfever » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:04 am

Agreed. You obviously are learning the going rate on your to be traded players.... I like it... Better than overpaying vastly.

I can easily live with it.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby kab21 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:25 am

This is perfectly acceptable. Sometimes it's a bluff, sometimes it isn't. And it's negotiating.

Taking this thread in a different direction. The first thing that I thought of was that one owner posted an owner's trade proposal for the league to see. Now this would be pretty low but I'm pretty close to doing this since I've been getting the same lopsided offers from the same owner all season. I've started sending back by own horrendously lopsided offers in the hope that he understands that he's an idiot.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:40 am

So the question is "Is it unethical to reveal another managers trade offer?" or is it a regular part of baseball just trying to get the best deal. If you are hesitant to get into a bidding war knowing someone else's deal just make your offer stand on its own. Of course just because you top the other deal doesn't mean he won't go back to the commish and say ok, you gotta beat this to him. I prefer to say something like I have a better offer w/o revealing names. I haven't read the unwritten-rules-for-ethical-fantasy-play book, but I'm not sure this really qualifies. At least he is being honest, even if it makes you a little uncomfortable.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 am

This is very acceptable. Stuff like this happens all the time in fantasy baseball, sports, and business.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cream » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 am

kab21 wrote:This is perfectly acceptable. Sometimes it's a bluff, sometimes it isn't. And it's negotiating.

Taking this thread in a different direction. The first thing that I thought of was that one owner posted an owner's trade proposal for the league to see. Now this would be pretty low but I'm pretty close to doing this since I've been getting the same lopsided offers from the same owner all season. I've started sending back by own horrendously lopsided offers in the hope that he understands that he's an idiot.

I've had the same thing happen to me over the past few months. I responded the same way by sending back ridiculous proposals. I'm debating the same approach by posting some of the offers, but probably won't as that is probably taking it too far. The problem is, this guy is notorious for sending bogus offers.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:48 pm

What part is unethical?

Maximizing the trade value of a player?

He sounds like a smart manager.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers