Cliff Lee on the verge of becoming a Yankee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cliff Lee on the verge of becoming a Yankee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cliff Lee on the verge of becoming a Yankee

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I much rather see Cliff Lee go to Seattle than the Yankees.
I guess Chris Davis will come up and play 1B for Texas.
i guess Justin Smoak right away will take over 1B for Seattle? I havnt been really keeping track, but has been playing more 1B with Seattle, Branyan or Kotchman? I think Branyan has been the DH, so it would be Kotchman losing playing time to Smoak? ..I imagine that is until Branyan gets traded elsewhere. no need to hang onto Branyan when your team just traded Lee.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:05 pm

so jack z basically turned aumont, gillies and jc ramirez into smoak, beaven, lawson and lueke. lol phillies.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Maris09 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
Maris09 wrote:decent bullpen arm in Lowe

Think I read Lowe is likely out for this year :-?

Oh, didn't see that.
Either way he's not really an important part of the deal. Their bullpen is already pretty good, and with the addition of Lee it will allow them to move someone like Harden or Feldman into the pen as well.

Ugh I just stashed Harden a couple weeks ago so I really hope he doesn't get moved. I can see the rational for doing it but that's an expensive middle reliever.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:13 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
nsulham wrote:Didn't really like it for the Yankees and especially don't like it for Texas. Smoak for half a season of Lee, considering he's not re-signing with them in the offseason? No thanks.

And I'm with Tav on Jack Z. He was lauded in the offseason but the results just aren't there. I'm sure he's a fine GM but I need to see a little more to be convinced he's the genius everyone claims.

So stoked about getting Smoak.

And you should never ever judge a front office or a manager based on results. Judge the process, not the results.

Who would you have prefered? Montero or Smoak?

I would have been happy with either but I preferred Smoak, mainly because he's a switch hitter with great on base skills and because it's clear that he's a good defensive 1B. The drawbacks to Montero are that his righty bat doesn't fit Safeco as well and he really doesn't have a position in the bigs. The power is legit but he doesn't walk as much as Smoak. So I guess I lean towards the guy who's closer to the bigs and fits the park better, plus there's the added benefit that it weakens a division rival in the future.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:17 pm

I really like this for the Rangers. It turns them into a real playoff team now, not just a contender to make it there. You need front-line starters in the playoffs, and C.J. Wilson/Colby Lewis/Hunter were not going to cut it. At least now you have Cliff Lee to lessen the pressure on the rest.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Maris09 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 pm

nsulham wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
Think I read Lowe is likely out for this year :-?

Oh, didn't see that.
Either way he's not really an important part of the deal. Their bullpen is already pretty good, and with the addition of Lee it will allow them to move someone like Harden or Feldman into the pen as well.

Ugh I just stashed Harden a couple weeks ago so I really hope he doesn't get moved. I can see the rational for doing it but that's an expensive middle reliever.

I think they'd more likely pull Feldman from the rotation. He's been pretty bad.
Who knows if they move him to the bullpen or just send him down though.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:24 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:so jack z basically turned aumont, gillies and jc ramirez into smoak, beaven, lawson and lueke. lol phillies.

Plus 7 million or so they had to pay for Lee this year.
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:32 pm

I suppose that for Cliff Lee, this is actually an upgrade since the TEX offense >>>> Seattle offense (assuming sabermetrics confirmation), bullpen upgrade (doesn't affect Lee obviously), and better team defense (per team UZR) means the Rangers are better than Seattle just about everywhere but he can lose more close games than old Matt Cain if he's giving up 1 walk every 3 starts.

I'm actually shopping him around in one league because I have nothing to gain in pitching stats and need bats, I'm concerned that this will scare people away (relative terms of course).
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I suppose that for Cliff Lee, this is actually an upgrade since the TEX offense >>>> Seattle offense (assuming sabermetrics confirmation)

Nope. Defense means everything. Which is why UZR is weighed so heavily in WAR.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DSheppard » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:11 pm

The Rangers have the 4th best UZR in baseball, above the Ms.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers