strategy for a beginner? ? ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

strategy for a beginner? ? ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:08 pm

Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

Something I'll clear up real quick in your original post is your starter #'s. After the first week or two into the season, rotation spot doesn't mean anything unless it's a number 5 starter. Once in awhile a #5 will get skipped in the rotation. As to the other spots, #1 pitchers do not only pitch against other #1's, and #4's do not only pitch against other #4's. Don't let someone's rotation spot concern you unless they are a #5, in which case they could occasionally be skipped in the rotation.

Look forward to seeing you around. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TDS-MN » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and the info. I have learned a lot more in the last 2 days that I even knew existed as far as fantasy baseball goes. I appreciate everyone's help so far. This site looks like a great place to find information.

I am just hoping that I end up beating SOMEONE in the league I'm in. I'd be happy with that for my first-ever experience. I don't know what my competition is like yet.
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:20 pm

TDS-MN wrote:It seems from reading here, that odds are better that relief pitching will get me better numbers than starters.

No they won't get you better numbers. I'd rather go to war with a good starting staff and subpar closers than vice versa.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasySteve » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:28 pm

You also might want to really take a good hard look at your offensive bench. Some players like to carry backups at every position, but I try to get guys who are eligible more than one place and use them instead to minimize my offensive bench size and maximize my SP's (if you can still grab some quality arms - and you should be able to do that in an 8 team league). I wouldn't recommend carrying a scrub 2b backup who might play twice a week for you at the best and really won't give you much value when he does play (might even hurt BA, etc) when you can add a good SP who be more likely to help - just get one that won't hurt your ERA and WHIP too much.

To break it down further I look for quality depth over quantity depth. If you can get a Jose Reyes type through a trade that will eventually provide a backup for 2b and SS, that is one less backup you need in my estimation and you can use that slot for the best available FA bat or pitcher.
FantasySteve
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:
TDS-MN wrote:It seems from reading here, that odds are better that relief pitching will get me better numbers than starters.

No they won't get you better numbers. I'd rather go to war with a good starting staff and subpar closers than vice versa.

really?
I love this discussion.
Id like to show you why this is a false statement, but rather than hijack this thread, I'll start a new one.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TDS-MN » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:33 pm

I read thru the new topic you posted. Some good points made.

I was alloted 7 starters, and 3 closers. (T. Percival, A. Benitez, J. Isringhausen)

I'm curious if anyone would suggest trading/dropping a starting pitcher of the B. Sheets/F. Garcia (non-superstar) variety for a MR pitcher that will possibly pitch more frequently that every 5 games? I don't think that I have any offensive players that I can dump just yet to add different pitching, so I'm strictly concerned about someone to fill the "P" slot in my roster, if I should leave "SP" players in there, or if I would benefit with some "RP"? :-o
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:44 pm

I wouldn't use any MRs in your setup.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers