Is this a sound strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this a sound strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this a sound strategy?

Postby krunchyfrogg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I've placed a little bit more emphasis on players with multiple position eligibility. I didn't start out like this, but the team kind of formed in that direction through trades and waiver wire pick-ups.

I am in a roto league, where there is a limited number of games played by position, as well as a limited number of innings pitched. In trying to get the "perfect mix", this is what I've come up with. First, let me begin by what positions I can field:

1: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, UT, DL
2: SP, RP
3: OF, P, BN

Daily roster changes are allowed, and there is a limit of 100 moves per team.

Here's my offensive players, with their positions:

Napoli (C/1B), Posey (C/1B), Huff (1B/OF), Reynolds (1B/3B)
Cano (2B), Reyes (SS), Ramirez (3B), Braun (OF), Hamilton (OF), Granderson (OF).

Not only have I allowed myself to play the hottest hands and best matchups possible, but in a league with only one catcher, I've pretty much guaranteed I can start one everyday.

It's too bad I can't get a guy like Zobrist on my team. :(

I'm about on par with my IP limit as well, with allowing myself to skip a start or two if the matchup doesn't look too good. My pitching staff is in my signature.

Aubrey Huff is going to be dropped when he cools off, I'm not confident he can play this good.

What do y'all think?
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is this a sound strategy?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Multiple position eligibility gives any player a bit of a boost in value. Whatever your league format you're going to be better off with a more versatile team provided you're not sacrificing talent for versatility. I don't know that I would go overly out of my way to put together the most flexible team possible but it's certainly something to pay attention to.

Also keep in mind that you're giving up some value if you're not playing these guys at their most valuable position. A player like Napoli is valuable because he plays a lot at 1B. But that doesn't help you, what helps is that you have a player who's eligible at catcher and plays a lot. If you're blocked at catcher (say you have McCann or Olivo) you'd be stupid to play him at 1B. He's gives great value as a catcher, but he'd be a below average 1B. You'd probably be much better off trading him to a team in need of a catcher. Same goes for players like Sean Rodriguez (2B/OF) and Zobrist (2B/SS/OF). Both are much more valuable fantasy players in the infield than in the outfield.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Re: Is this a sound strategy?

Postby krunchyfrogg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:13 am

I hear ya. I saw that Butler was a FA, and since it seems like I'm "subbing" in a 1B every day, I'm wondering who I should move to pick him up.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers