Trades you've made this year that.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trades you've made this year that..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trades you've made this year that..

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 am

I declined My: Carlos Beltran, Kendry for His: Robinson Cano preseason :,-( :,-( :~( :~(

Everyday the pain hurts more.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:54 am

Haven't really had any unbelievably terrible deals or outstanding deals. But my worst trade would probably be in from my dynasty league:

I GET: Grady Sizemore
I GIVE: Josh Johnson & Desmond Jennings

Traded for him 2 days before he injured his knee. However, I was thankfully able to use him in a bigger deal to ship him off before they announced season ending surgery. Don't really have any outstanding deals where I made out, but I think I won these 2 deals by a good margin:

(Dynasty)

I GET: Yovanni Gallardo, Dan Haren, Brennan Boesch
I GIVE: Tim Lincecum

(Keeper)

I GET: Robinson Cano, Jay Bruce, Matt Cain, Phil Hughes, Ryan Franklin, Pablo Sandoval (& turned Pablo into Ryan Zimmerman)
I GIVE: Evan Longoria, Mike Stanton, Colby Rasmus
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 am

I am 2nd in our league and in a playoff spot by 18 games, so it's pretty close to being locked up.

last week I moved Ubaldo for Jason Heyward. basically banking on the fact Strasburg continues to replace Ubaldo in my rotation and by the time playoffs start I am getting at least something from Hellickson and/or Brandon Webb.

seems to work out so far as Ubaldo has had 2 rough starts since I moved him. Also, the insurance was clearly needed in my outfield/util which consists of Manny, Soriano, Quentin and Ortiz.. :-o
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I am 2nd in our league and in a playoff spot by 18 games, so it's pretty close to being locked up.

last week I moved Ubaldo for Jason Heyward. basically banking on the fact Strasburg continues to replace Ubaldo in my rotation and by the time playoffs start I am getting at least something from Hellickson and/or Brandon Webb.

seems to work out so far as Ubaldo has had 2 rough starts since I moved him. Also, the insurance was clearly needed in my outfield/util which consists of Manny, Soriano, Quentin and Ortiz.. :-o

How has that worked out at all? :-? Heyward is on the DL and even before that, he wasn't doing so great. If this is a redraft I think you got absolutely destroyed in that trade and if it's a dynasty, I still don't like it, but I can at least somewhat understand it.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:05 am

sorry, yes it's a keeper league. Heyward was clearly not doing so well because he couldn't swing comfortably with his thumb. I am confident that upon his return he will be early season Jason Heyward again.

What stands out about Heyward is that his thumb injury helps explain his brutal June slump; don't forget that before that, he was a .301/.421/.596 (AVG/OBP/SLG) hitter in his first 46 career games. That's too much upside for what might be an entirely healthy second half to let this kid go.

I guess I am saying that it has worked out because Ubaldo has not looked good since I moved him and Heyward provides me the insurance I need in the outfield. plus, I get to keep a 20-year-old monster for the rest of his career if I so choose.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 am

lastingsgriller wrote:sorry, yes it's a keeper league. Heyward was clearly not doing so well because he couldn't swing comfortably with his thumb. I am confident that upon his return he will be early season Jason Heyward again.

What stands out about Heyward is that his thumb injury helps explain his brutal June slump; don't forget that before that, he was a .301/.421/.596 (AVG/OBP/SLG) hitter in his first 46 career games. That's too much upside for what might be an entirely healthy second half to let this kid go.

I guess I am saying that it has worked out because Ubaldo has not looked good since I moved him and Heyward provides me the insurance I need in the outfield. plus, I get to keep a 20-year-old monster for the rest of his career if I so choose.

Yup, I have to agree with lastingsgriller on this one. Getting heyward for ubaldo was actually a steal in my eyes. In my dynasty and keeper leagues, there is no chance i would be able to get heyward for any pitcher alone. Great buy low on heyward, and great sell high on ubaldo who was pitching over his head anyway. ;-D
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:21 am

lastingsgriller wrote:sorry, yes it's a keeper league. Heyward was clearly not doing so well because he couldn't swing comfortably with his thumb. I am confident that upon his return he will be early season Jason Heyward again.

I guess that's a little better, but I still really don't like the deal. Ubaldo is an awesome pitcher, and the fact that he's had a couple of subpar starts doesn't change that. I'm guessing you're one of the people who assumes LIncecum is done as well.

The biggest thing I have with this though, is your complete disregard for this season. Even if you assert that the trade worked out well for the future (which I wouldn't agree with), you have to keep in mind that the primary goal in a keeper is still to win championships. You seem to have a really good chance to win this year, seeing as you're in 2nd place, like you said, yet you traded away one of your most valuable players. You tried to justify it with your arguments about Strasburg, Webb, and Hellickson, but I'm really not buying it.

I'll start off with the assertion that Strasburg can replace him: first off, why wouldn't you want both? It's not a one or the other situation (even if it's a weekly lineup). Secondly, it's very likely Strasburg will be shut down prior to the end of the year, meaning that come playoff time, you have now traded your best pitcher and are without the services of your next best option. Now you are left with Hellickson and Webb. Hellickson is not even in the majors. Sure, there's a chance he'll be called up, but there's no guarantee of that, and even if he is, there's certainly no guarantee that he's effective, or even a starter for that matter. Keep in mind, the Rays used Price in the bullpen originally: they easily could do the same exact thing with Hellickson. Now, for Webb. Shoulder injuries are not easy to comeback from, regardless of how good you are, yet you're so confident in Webb that you're willing to trade one of the best pitchers in baseball when you're right in the title hunt.

If you were in near the bottom of the league I wouldn't mind the trade, but I think this is a classic case of someone not realizing that keeper leagues are still meant to be won year in and year out. Winning now should be prioritized over winning next year.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:39 am

Agree with Fleshy. You got hosed. If nothing else, you should have been able to get Heyward plus something else...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 am

I guess you don't know my roster, so I can see where your assumptions are coming from.

1) no, I am not one that thinks Lince is done. at all. he would be the second pitcher I would draft if there was a draft today.

2) my pitching staff already includes Lester and Josh Johnson to anchor the staff with J. Sanchez, Billingsley, Morrow, Cahill.

I had the best pitching staff in the league before I moved Ubaldo and I think between Strasburg, Hellickson and Webb they can fill in what I lost with Ubaldo.

(Webb is on my DL and Hellickson is on my minor league roster, so they don't need to take roster spots until they are actually pitching for me.)

3) I am clearly thinking about this year because I am preparing for the fact that Soriano, Manny, Quentin or Ortiz will be on the DL or struggling come playoff time, so Heyward is there to have their backs.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm

I just think you could have gotten more for him. Your roster composition has nothing to do with it. But hey, if you're happy with it and it works out for you then I guess that's all that matters, right?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers