All star teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All star teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: All star teams

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Biggest snubs:

Votto (really, he wins this by a mile - he has been arguably the best hitter in the NL this season)

Latos
Liriano
Felix Hernandez
CarGo

(I'm assuming the statement earlier that Weaver is now in is true, otherwise he'd probably be right there with Latos and Liriano as the 2nd/3rd biggest snub.)

Also, i definitely agree with a previous poster who said Markakis, and not Wiggington, should be the Orioles representative. I think the reason is that, as was alluded to earlier, each manager wants to have at least one super-utility player on his team - Wiggington (as does Infante) fits the bill. The fact that Infante is not very good, even given his versatility, apparently had little impact on Manuel's decision - I agree with those who said Uribe would have been a far better choice.

Edited to include King Felix, who I just assumed had made it, but after a cursory review of the rosters, it appears he did not (maybe I missed him).
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Guess we can all stop acting indignant that Votto = greatest snub ever. He made it, boys.

Swisher over Rios/Konerko though? That's a snub and a half. As if there aren't enough Yankees on the team already... the White Sox lone representative isn't Rios/Konerko, but Matt Thornton? Shame, shame, shame.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Swisher over Rios/Konerko though? That's a snub and a half. As if there aren't enough Yankees on the team already... the White Sox lone representative isn't Rios/Konerko, but Matt Thornton? Shame, shame, shame.

Yeah Thornton is "only" the best LH reliever in the game :-b :-b :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:17 pm

but wiggington has been horrendous since his hot start. in june, he hit .209 and hit 1 HR. he does not deserve to be on that team.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:19 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:but wiggington has been horrendous since his hot start. in june, he hit .209 and hit 1 HR. he does not deserve to be on that team.

Last time I checked, what matters is how you did in the first half as a whole, not how you did in June.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Yeah Thornton is "only" the best LH reliever in the game :-b :-b :-b

Thornton may be a good middle reliever, but Rios is having a renaissance season. After such a dismal season last year, he was basically ridiculed by the critics and his contract was viewed as a black hole. I think he deserves an All-Star nod not just because of his numbers this year, but putting together such numbers after fierce criticism from the media/fans.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:35 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:but wiggington has been horrendous since his hot start. in june, he hit .209 and hit 1 HR. he does not deserve to be on that team.

He's playing hurt. :-t

thejusman1 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Yeah Thornton is "only" the best LH reliever in the game :-b :-b :-b

Thornton may be a good middle reliever, but Rios is having a renaissance season. After such a dismal season last year, he was basically ridiculed by the critics and his contract was viewed as a black hole. I think he deserves an All-Star nod not just because of his numbers this year, but putting together such numbers after fierce criticism from the media/fans.

Maybe his bad rep from last year has followed him into this year. Also, if you look at the OFers for the AL, who do you think he is having that much of a better season over? Crawford/Ichiro/Hamilton/Bautista/Hunter/Swish/Wells. They're all having a similar or superior seasons to Rios, and I guess the "clubhouse cancerness" of Rios was the deciding factor.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby drunkmonkey » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:36 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

Last time I checked, what matters is how you did in the first half as a whole, not how you did in June.

Last time I checked, none of that really matters at all.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:36 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

This is arguably not true as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:59 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

He's playing hurt. :-t

thejusman1 wrote:

Maybe his bad rep from last year has followed him into this year. Also, if you look at the OFers for the AL, who do you think he is having that much of a better season over? Crawford/Ichiro/Hamilton/Bautista/Hunter/Swish/Wells. They're all having a similar or superior seasons to Rios, and I guess the "clubhouse cancerness" of Rios was the deciding factor.

I think he deserved the nod over Torii and Swisher for sure, could even say Bautista and possibly Wells. Maybe it's just cause I follow his fantasy numbers and rarely get a chance to watch CWS games, but he's been great this season! I thought Weaver, not Torii, should've been the Angels' rep, Bautista's batting average is still bottom-cellar... Wells is having a very solid season, so he has least cause to be bumped from that 4... Swisher is doing alright himself, but there's already too many Yankees on the squad as it is.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers