Wasn't McCann added to the team after?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: All star teams

Postby drunkmonkey » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 am

Surfs up wrote:Wasn't McCann added to the team after?

No, he was voted in by the players to the original roster. In addition, Heyward and Hudson were on the original roster, so the Braves were well represented already.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:59 am

Ok. I stand corrected. But I still think the voting should be taken away from the fans . If not only be be for two weeks.Something has to change.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Surfs up wrote:Ok. I stand corrected. But I still think the voting should be taken away from the fans . If not only be be for two weeks.Something has to change.

Why? It's an exhibition game, and fans should be able to vote for who they want to see play. As much as people here wish they took the top hitters/pitchers in WAR for both NL/AL squads, I think we all realize the All-Star game is a popularity, not skill, contest. Yeah, it sucks that Votto didn't make the team, but that's what will happen when you have uber-popular Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard in the same position as you. My one real complaint about the All-Star game is that it decides home field advantage for the World Series - that's retarded. The fan vote absolutely makes sense, especially cause they are the ones spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to see one exhibition game.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm

My 2 cents:

I hate fan voting, cause fans are stupid, and they are voting for their home team players, even if they suck. But before anyone crucifies me for saying that fans are stupid, I voted Sammy Sosa as one of my favorite RF despite some facts that I decided to ignore. So Im stupid too. But as a fan I have the right to be stupid. And the game is for the fans, so fans should vote IMO.
But I would manipulate the voting.
I say let the players and coaches decide who is on the ballot. They know best, mostly. And lets just forget this Infante insanity for a second.
There should be only 9 to 12 outfielders and 3-4 infielders each position and 3-4 catchers on the ballots in both leagues.
Then let the fans decide the starters and coaches and players pick the rest.
If Heyward is not on the ballot, there woud be no Jason Heyward over Carlos Gonzalez nonsense.
Everybody is happy, but Jason Heyward.

Still, fans voting is mostly just fine.
The bigger problem, that having each team represented sucks. The sole reason for having all-stars like Wigginton, Bourne and Marlon Byrd. Theres no need for that. That rule should be changed.

Now the Infante case.
What can you do if the manager is an idiot? I have no idea.

And there'll be always notable omissions like Votto. Everybody knows that he deserves to be there. But theres not much you can do about it. Albert, Howard, and A-Gonz are just as good as he is. If the Reds win the WS he'll play and Howard or A-Gonz will go fishin.

And finally,
to be a member of the All-Star team should be an honour, and an appreciation of achievement.
Only the best players should become members of the All-Star team.
The All-Star game should not decide home field advantage for the World Series. For god sake, what kinda BS is that?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:My 2 cents:

I hate fan voting, cause fans are stupid, and they are voting for their home team players, even if they suck. But before anyone crucifies me for saying that fans are stupid, I voted Sammy Sosa as one of my favorite RF despite some facts that I decided to ignore. So Im stupid too. But as a fan I have the right to be stupid. And the game is for the fans, so fans should vote IMO.
But I would manipulate the voting.
I say let the players and coaches decide who is on the ballot. They know best, mostly. And lets just forget this Infante insanity for a second.
There should be only 9 to 12 outfielders and 3-4 infielders each position and 3-4 catchers on the ballots in both leagues.
Then let the fans decide the starters and coaches and players pick the rest.
If Heyward is not on the ballot, there woud be no Jason Heyward over Carlos Gonzalez nonsense.
Everybody is happy, but Jason Heyward.

Still, fans voting is mostly just fine.
The bigger problem, that having each team represented sucks. The sole reason for having all-stars like Wigginton, Bourne and Marlon Byrd. Theres no need for that. That rule should be changed.

Now the Infante case.
What can you do if the manager is an idiot? I have no idea.

And there'll be always notable omissions like Votto. Everybody knows that he deserves to be there. But theres not much you can do about it. Albert, Howard, and A-Gonz are just as good as he is. If the Reds win the WS he'll play and Howard or A-Gonz will go fishin.

And finally,
to be a member of the All-Star team should be an honour, and an appreciation of achievement.
Only the best players should become members of the All-Star team.
The All-Star game should not decide home field advantage for the World Series. For god sake, what kinda BS is that?

If you're in support of fan voting, you should be in support of having a player on every team as well. The reason for fan voting is that the AS game is thought to be, first and foremost, a game for the fans. Accordingly, they are given the power to decide who they get to see start the game. Since it's a game for the fans, each fan should have the opportunity to watch at least one player on their team play in the game. I know as an Oriole fan, I'm grateful for this. Also, it's not like god awful players are getting in purely as a result of the fact that you need at least one player from each team. There is at least one player on every team that is pretty good (Wigginton is not very good, but if they had made the correct selection by taking Markakis, it would have worked out). Finally, your last statement was that the AS game shouldn't count for anything. Once again, if that's the case, lets let every fan watch a player from his/her favorite team.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:If you're in support of fan voting, you should be in support of having a player on every team as well. The reason for fan voting is that the AS game is thought to be, first and foremost, a game for the fans. Accordingly, they are given the power to decide who they get to see start the game. Since it's a game for the fans, each fan should have the opportunity to watch at least one player on their team play in the game. I know as an Oriole fan, I'm grateful for this. Also, it's not like god awful players are getting in purely as a result of the fact that you need at least one player from each team. There is at least one player on every team that is pretty good (Wigginton is not very good, but if they had made the correct selection by taking Markakis, it would have worked out). Finally, your last statement was that the AS game shouldn't count for anything. Once again, if that's the case, lets let every fan watch a player from his/her favorite team.

As a Cubs fan I dont mind if theres no Cubs player voted in.
As a Cubs fan I watch Cubs games more times than any other games, so I dont need to see Cubs players playing in the All-Star game.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby drunkmonkey » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:As a Cubs fan I dont mind if theres no Cubs player voted in.
As a Cubs fan I watch Cubs games more times than any other games, so I dont need to see Cubs players playing in the All-Star game.

I agree; I can't imagine the "every team represented" draws in that many more fans. I can't imagine many people saying, "Well, I wasn't going to watch, but now that Marlon Byrd's going to be there..."
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:34 pm

I get why the voting is the way it is. Everyone gets a say. The only thing I wish would happen is the fans being allowed to pick at least one SP and one RP. I understand why they cant be automatically selected as starters, but I think we should have a say in the pitching to some degree.

I think generally though the players and manager does a decent job of filling in the blanks. But you look at the 1B position right now and its stacked. 1B in both leagues are going to get locked out. This year, SP is stacked, especially in the NL. Meanwhile, SS in both leagues is kind of limp. Its just the cycle of things.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:If you're in support of fan voting, you should be in support of having a player on every team as well. The reason for fan voting is that the AS game is thought to be, first and foremost, a game for the fans. Accordingly, they are given the power to decide who they get to see start the game. Since it's a game for the fans, each fan should have the opportunity to watch at least one player on their team play in the game. I know as an Oriole fan, I'm grateful for this. Also, it's not like god awful players are getting in purely as a result of the fact that you need at least one player from each team. There is at least one player on every team that is pretty good (Wigginton is not very good, but if they had made the correct selection by taking Markakis, it would have worked out). Finally, your last statement was that the AS game shouldn't count for anything. Once again, if that's the case, lets let every fan watch a player from his/her favorite team.

As a Cubs fan I dont mind if theres no Cubs player voted in.

Maybe that's because almost every year you get to see 4 of your players (at least) in the game, so it's not a big deal anymore. I know this year is different, but when you're an Orioles fan, it's nice to see your closer who not many casual fans know about coming in and getting a K with the bases loaded, so yes, I want to see my player in the all star game. Being an Orioles fan is depressing enough as it is: I don't need to watch an all star game with none of their players in it and be reminded of how they're terrible.

Oh and don't try to tell me that being a Cubs fan in the past decade is worse than being an Orioles fan: it's not.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers