Utley causing problems...but am I right? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Utley causing problems...but am I right?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Utley causing problems...but am I right?

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:22 am

This afternoon (Thursday), Team A proposes sending his Kinsler/F. Garcia/Lindstrom for Team B's Utley/Medlen/F. Cordero. When the trade was proposed, Chase Utley was reportedly out 5-6 weeks.

Later this afternoon, Team B accepted this deal. At this time, the diagnosis was still 5-6 weeks.

Tonight, it came out that Utley went under the knife and will miss 8+ weeks. Team A protests the trade, arguing that the extent of the injury should allow this deal to be vetoed. As the commish, I am against doing so. Both teams knew the same info when the offer was proposed and accepted. It is the responsibility of the proposer to know the risks that come with a trade. Granted, I will allow the trade to sit for the remaining 18 or so hours before I have to pass it or veto it.

What do you think? Keep in mind this is a keeper league. Team A could very likely keep Utley if the trade were passed. Team B is unlikely to keep Kinsler.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Utley causing problems...but am I right?

Postby D-backsFan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 am

No veto. That's the risk when trading for a player that's known to be recently injured. What if the news went the other way and they found his injury wasn't as severe and would be back in 15 days? could/should the Utley owner argue to cancel it? It's a risk you take when trading for an injured player. I'm sure there are people regretting trading for Ellsbury earlier this season but sh!t happens.
D-backsFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SumG » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

A change in the injury status of a player is a risk that a manger takes when trading for a player with an injury already. If you aren't willing to accept setbacks, don't trade for the injured player.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ABA316 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:57 am

No veto. Even if Utley wasn't injured it has to stand, that is a risk one takes. The fact that Utley was injured and known to be out when trade was accepted is all the more reason.

The 2 teams can certainly work out a secondary "make good" trade, but they don't HAVE to.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Dont see a reason to veto this one, there was word he could be out a lot longer before that became official..especially where the cloud was already over him..caveat emptor. Utley has a ton of keeper value.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 am

I've got to agree with all the above. Sucks for the owner that got Utley, but you can't veto on those grounds. Just bad luck for him.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jeremiahfira » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:39 pm

Agreed as above. Trade injuries at your own risk.
Jeremiahfira
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner