Should this trade be vetoed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should this trade be vetoed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should this trade be vetoed?

Postby money » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 pm

I'm in a yahoo head to head league and this trade is pending from today.

Team A Gives:
Colby Rasmus
Stephen Drew
Ricky Nolasco
David Aardsma

Team B Gives:
Justin Morneau
Dan Haren
Brian Wilson

This seems fishy to me because team B already has Braun, Hamilton, Rios, Holliday, and Ludwick in the OF. Then after trading Morneau, their only option for a 1B on their team is Cantu who he currently has in at 3B. Team B's current SS is Theriot who has stats that are similar to Drew too.

Not only that, but Team B hasn't been updating their team and are in next to last place. Team A is currently in second place. What do you guys think? Am I overreacting?
money
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should this trade be vetoed?

Postby SumG » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm

The point you made that stood out to me is the fact Team B hasn't been updating his team for most of the year. Try to get in touch with the owner of Team B and see if he can justify the trade somehow. I would have trouble allowing the trade until he got back to me with a legitimate justification for why he's doing the trade, but if he does provide one, you might have to let it go.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby money » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:56 pm

SumG wrote:The point you made that stood out to me is the fact Team B hasn't been updating his team for most of the year. Try to get in touch with the owner of Team B and see if he can justify the trade somehow. I would have trouble allowing the trade until he got back to me with a legitimate justification for why he's doing the trade, but if he does provide one, you might have to let it go.

Thanks for the advice, I talked to the guy and he said he accepted the trade because team a had been sending him offers all year. Doesn't sound like a good reason to me, and there are also other managers protesting the trade now too.
money
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Team A is definetly making out in the deal, but I dont thik its vetoable. Team B is getting talent back and it is a 4 for 3 to help address that.

Morneau and Haren have been known to have second half problems (and Morneau seems to have the back flare ups) so while I would rather have them and Wilson its not a league shattering slam dunk IMO. Other teams might be complaining now as well, but they could all have their own agendas and its hard to veto a trade because a guy wasnt active because that says if you get out of the loop, you have to stay out of the loop
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby drunkmonkey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm

I've only vetoed a trade once in ~10 years as commissioner, and it was for a trade similar to this. Team B hasn't been playing and is in last, and even admitted to accepting because he was tired of getting offers. This isn't an owner looking to make his team better. It's an owner who isn't interested in the league, and doesn't care about dumping players.

I don't think it's a case of "once you're out of the loop, you have to stay out". I see it as "once you're out of the loop, you have to prove you're back in it before you're allowed to make trades".
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am

drunkmonkey wrote:I've only vetoed a trade once in ~10 years as commissioner, and it was for a trade similar to this. Team B hasn't been playing and is in last, and even admitted to accepting because he was tired of getting offers. This isn't an owner looking to make his team better. It's an owner who isn't interested in the league, and doesn't care about dumping players.

I don't think it's a case of "once you're out of the loop, you have to stay out". I see it as "once you're out of the loop, you have to prove you're back in it before you're allowed to make trades".

I agree completely. I am usually against vetoing trades, but I really don't think you should allow this one through.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner