100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Male Contraception

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Male Contraception

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Telegraph.co.uk wrote:Scientists invent first male contraceptive pill
Published: 6:21AM BST 28 Jun 2010

Until now all attempts to develop a male pill have failed with scientists working on a contraceptive jab for men given by doctors.

But researchers in Israel have finally been able to create a oral pill that deactivates sperm before they reach the womb.

And they've developed a version that means it only needs to be to be taken once every three months.

The breakthrough pill could be available in as little as three years, according to the scientist behind the discovery.

Unlike the jab form of the male pill it doesn't use a combination of the male hormone testosterone and the female hormone progesterone to block pregnancy.

The scientist behind the male pill discovery has developed a tablet that removes a vital protein in sperm that is required for a woman to conceive.

So while sperm still get through to the uterus they are unable to fertilise an egg.

Using this approach, researchers believe they have a pill that is 100 pc effective at stopping pregnancy.

Not only is it long lasting but it also has other pluses. There are no side effects as suffered by women who take the contraceptive pill.

Men on the male equivalent hormone jabs, which are still undergoing trials report feelings of moodiness, depression and loss of sex drive.

Professor of Haim Breitbart of Israel's Bar-Ilan University, who has helped develop the pill said: Men don't cope well with side effects and having side effects would probably put many off wanting to take a pill. We've had none of those problems with our pill.

What we found is that by treating the mice with our molecule we can get sterility for a long period of time -in the lower dose, about one month, and in the higher dose we found three months of sterility.

The mice behaved nicely, They ate and had sex. All I can say is that we couldn't see any behavioural side-effects - all their sex behaviour was retained, which is a very important consideration for men. Human trials of the pill are due to start next year.

A big drawback against men being in control of fertility is the fear they would forget to take a pill.

Polls have repeatedly shown wives and partners do not trust their men to remember to pop a pill every day.

But now that problem has been solved. The new pill can be taken either once a month or once every three months.

Professor Breitbart said: "I think most women would trust their man to remember once a month or once a quarter.

Breitbarts pill jams the sperm's chemical machinery that allows it to create a pregnancy. So while the sperm reaches the womb it dies away unable to fertilise the egg.

He said: We looked at a number of compounds that have no effect on male sex drive, but succeed in impairing the reproductive ability of the sperm.

Because there are no hormonal side effect we believe that it will be fairly easy to get approval for this pill.

Professor Breitbat stunned the world of fertility science four years ago by revealing the commonly held belief that conception was immediate once sperm entered the womb.

The research showed that sperm could survive for up to three days before fertilisation took place.

Professor Breitbart said: I then decided to turn my interest to see how to stop that process. I wanted to develop a form of male contraception that would be free of an intervention using hormones.

Also, what's all this about only knowing that sperm could fertilize an egg for four years? I thought that'd been known for a while. :-S

Anyway, it's not April Fool's Day. Is it Fool's Gold Day? :-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Male Contraception

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

There's no way 18-25 year old guys are going to remember to take a pill like this, even if it's only once every three months.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:54 pm

StlSluggers wrote:what's all this about only knowing that sperm could fertilize an egg for four years? I thought that'd been known for a while. :-S

Either I'm misreading you here, or you misread that part of the article...they're not saying it's only been known for four years that sperm fertilizes an egg, they're saying that they've only recently learned that that fertilization can take place up to three days post-coitus.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:what's all this about only knowing that sperm could fertilize an egg for four years? I thought that'd been known for a while. :-S

Either I'm misreading you here, or you misread that part of the article...they're not saying it's only been known for four years that sperm fertilizes an egg, they're saying that they've only recently learned that that fertilization can take place up to three days post-coitus.

I left out the "three days later" part. O:-)

I mean, with all the lab pregnancies that have been going on for decades now - and ancillary birth controls methods released over the last 5 years - I find it hard to believe this is a new discovery.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Wait, no. I learned that in my health class in college wayyyy back in 1997.

They called it "the pregnancy window", and it was taught along with an explanation of the rhythm method.

Something's fishy here. :-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:14 pm

There is no way a reporter misunderstood the doctor and wrote that wrong. I'll never believe it.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:15 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Something's fishy here. :-?

Enough about [insert cafe member's name here]'s mom. What's really important here is whether or not this would be a viable alternative to a vasectomy. If I can take a pill a few times a year, not have surgery, and leave open the option of changing my mind*, I'd certainly do that, at least until I'm out of my child-rearing years and certain that I don't ever want more kids.

*I realize that vasectomies are reversable or sperm can be frozen, etc., but most current options for getting around a vasectomy are far more invasive/expensive than it seems this would be.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:19 pm

And the reversal, like the vasectomy itself, is not guaranteed.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby markj11 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Enough about [insert cafe member's name here]'s mom. What's really important here is whether or not this would be a viable alternative to a vasectomy. If I can take a pill a few times a year, not have surgery, and leave open the option of changing my mind*, I'd certainly do that, at least until I'm out of my child-rearing years and certain that I don't ever want more kids.

*I realize that vasectomies are reversable or sperm can be frozen, etc., but most current options for getting around a vasectomy are far more invasive/expensive than it seems this would be.

This is great news, wife's been busting my balls to get a vasectomy.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 pm

markj11 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

This is great news, wife's been busting my balls to get a vasectomy.

Just let her bust your balls a little harder, like with a hammer, you wont need a vasectomy. !+)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Next

Return to General Talk